Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: Can Detect have both Sense-Based and Analysis Only?

...or is that double-dipping? It feels like double-dipping, but maybe it's legitimate. I'm trying to use Detect (Analysis Only) with a Scanning Sense that has Chi-Scan (like Scanner, but for Chi), but I want to use Detect's Analysis because it feels like it gives more information, but maybe I'm wrong about that. If Scanner on a Scanning Sense can give Analysis-equivalent information, then this question is moot.

That's it. Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: Quick Question: Can Detect have both Sense-Based and Analysis Only?

Replying since it's been well over 24 hours without a response. Last call before I make an offhand judgment. If I need to clarify anything, please let me know!

Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Culture20

"Analysis only" requires how many senses? Does it require specific senses? I know it requires knowledge of the existence/location of the thing being analyzed, but can it be done without sensory input at all (it's inside the bag on the table in front of me)?
Any of the above could make it sufficiently different from say "Reverse Vision Based" or "Reverse chi-scan based".
If they require the same senses, then I'd say they overlap too much.
Hmm, now that I think about it, "X only" where X is any sense automatically assumes you know the existence/location of the thing because you can sense it. Seems they must necessarily overlap.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
"Analysis only" requires how many senses? Does it require specific senses? I know it requires knowledge of the existence/location of the thing being analyzed, but can it be done without sensory input at all (it's inside the bag on the table in front of me)?
Any of the above could make it sufficiently different from say "Reverse Vision Based" or "Reverse chi-scan based".
If they require the same senses, then I'd say they overlap too much.
Hmm, now that I think about it, "X only" where X is any sense automatically assumes you know the existence/location of the thing because you can sense it. Seems they must necessarily overlap.
That's kind of what I was thinking too, but it also restricts on what you can normally detect with. If I'm looking for something that I can sense with touch, smell, and sight, then it's limiting to also just reduce that to sight. But I don't know if it's worth the whole -20% at the point.

Tags
analysis only, analyzing, detect, scanning sense, sense-based