Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #41
Anthony

Default Re: [Build Advice] Model Anaerobic/Aerboic Breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why does it have to produce oxygen?
Because the OP says it produces oxygen. I am at loss for why oxygen is being produced, but it's technically possible to do.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #42
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Because the OP says it produces oxygen.
Yes, but frankly that seems to be an error.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #43
David Johnston2

Quote:
Why does it have to produce oxygen?
Because that's what anaerobic organisms actually do? The oxygen in our atmosphere did start as the waste products of anaerobic metabolisms, after all.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #44
gjc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Because that's what anaerobic organisms actually do? The oxygen in our atmosphere did start as the waste products of anaerobic metabolisms, after all.
No, that's what (some) autotrophs, both aerobic and anaerobic, do. And autotrophs are reliant on an external energy source (generally sunlight, at least the ones that spit out oxygen). And they spit out oxygen in an analog of eating, not of breathing.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Because that's what anaerobic organisms actually do?
They do? Can you provide a source. None of the anerobic pathways I'm aware of have O2 as a product. Iron, methane, actetate ions, sure, but oxygen? Chemically it doesn't make much sense as respiration is broadly an oxidation process.
Quote:
The oxygen in our atmosphere did start as the waste products of anaerobic metabolisms, after all.
It did? Do you have a source for that, either? I think you (and possibly the OP) are confusing autrophic synthesis reactions (notably photosynthesis) with respiration.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

The absolute first photosynthetic organisms were anaerobic in the sense that they died when exposed to oxygen. But they are long gone and out-competed by more efficient forms of photosynthesis that use oxygen at times.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The absolute first photosynthetic organisms were anaerobic in the sense that they died when exposed to oxygen.
Anaerobic respiration almost certainly predates aerobic respiration, yes. All organisms in the early low-oxygen atmosphere use anaerobic pathways, whether they were autotrophs or heterotrophs.
Quote:
But they are long gone and out-competed by more efficient forms of photosynthesis that use oxygen at times.
Photosynthesis doesn't "use" oxygen at all, ever, and in fact because chlorophyll isn't very selective it is poisoned by oxygen (certain desert plants with lots of energy and little water have an extra pathway that strips the oxygen out, most plants don't bother). Modern photosynthetic organisms all have mitochondria and use aerobic respiration, though. You seem to be confusing photosynthesis with respiration. These are separate processes:
  • Photosynthesis produces sugar and oxygen from carbon dioxide and water. It requires a lot of solar energy. It is carried out in the chloroplasts of green plants.
  • Aerobic Respiration produces Carbon Dioxide and water from sugar and oxygen. It also releases a good deal of energy (that living things use to phosphorylate ADP into ATP). In basically all eukaryotes it is carried out in the mitochondria.
  • Anaerobic Respiration uses a different final electron receptor than Oxygen and is much less energy efficient. These pathways (there are several) are mostly used by some prokaryotes, nowadays.
  • Fermentation produces alchohol from sugar and water. It is mostly used by yeasts.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #48
Langy

I think Flyndaran may have meant that they were outperformed by organisms that both used photosynthesis and occasionally used oxygen.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #49
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I think Flyndaran may have meant that they were outperformed by organisms that both used photosynthesis and occasionally used oxygen.
Obligate anaerobes got pushed into marginal environments because the photosynthetic autographs poisoned the atmosphere, sure. This doesn't mean that "anaerobic respiration has oxygen as a product", which is so far as I know utter nonsense. It doesn't even seem to meaningfully relate.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #50
David Johnston2

Quote:
Obligate anaerobes got pushed into marginal environments because the photosynthetic autographs poisoned the atmosphere, sure. This doesn't mean that "anaerobic respiration has oxygen as a product", which is so far as I know utter nonsense. It doesn't even seem to meaningfully relate.
Of course what I actually said that was oxygen was a product of anaerobic metabolisms. Which it must have been because anaerobic metabolisms were the only game in town. Of course the OP's species isn't anaerobic. They're like plants only improbably active.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alien, aliens, anaerobic, build advice, doesn't breathe, increased consumption