Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2022, 03:10 PM   #11
RogerBW

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Pressure Support and Vacuum Support

As a GM I think my approach should probably be to split the party: Pete got Vacuum Support so he can go and do the sabotage, and the rest of you can work inside to make sure he doesn't get caught.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:39 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
As a GM I think my approach should probably be to split the party: Pete got Vacuum Support so he can go and do the sabotage, and the rest of you can work inside to make sure he doesn't get caught.
Been there. Done that. It's a pain to run every time.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A core problem with most life-support type abilities is that GMs either don't put plot-important things in locations where life support is available, or make sure that the PCs can all get there -- i.e. they are "go places there's no reason to go" or "avoid the plot segment where you acquire the tools to get to hard to reach places". Neither is terribly valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I would very much second this, I have had a couple of characters with vacuum support (every so often I go through a phase of cyborg or augmented characters).

While it seems fairly priced for what it does I can't see me taking it again without some sort of serious limitation because despite playing a fair number of these characters I have used it a grand total of once (ok that one time it literally saved the character and most of the party) and then only in highly atypical and entirely player created circumstances.

I find that vacuum support works well if you spend all your time in a space-ship and there are useful things to be done on the outside of the ship. Called from exile had a character who could fly outside of the ship during ship to ship combat and it proved useful in a number of situations, without sidelining the other characters. They did outside of ship things while the other players did inside of ship things. Of course, those inside the ship things had the ability to interact with the outside of the ship, via steering the ship, shooting weapons, flying drones, or telepathy.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:35 PM   #14
Anthony

It's not that that vacuum support is getting you nothing: it's providing you with protection that would otherwise have weight and cost.

There's a strong part of me that wants to make it so any ability that basically replicates mundane gear is purchased as some combination of signature gear and payload.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:45 AM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's not that that vacuum support is getting you nothing: it's providing you with protection that would otherwise have weight and cost.

There's a strong part of me that wants to make it so any ability that basically replicates mundane gear is purchased as some combination of signature gear and payload.
I'm of a similar mind as well.

Though I've been playing around with environmental suits in Infinite Ruins, and a LOT of them increase FP lost because of being enclosed and other effects. Lost DX is also probably appropriate: its mentioned in Basic but never shows up on any gear.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, pressure support, vacuum support