Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #41
Varyon

Default Re: Ideas:'Revolutionary' late 2030s Handgun for Black Ops/Horror/lite Sci-Fi setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrackingBiscuit View Post
I'm not aware of any rifle-caliber revolver, barring much older cartridges. Given that rounds like .500 S&W and .454 Casull have around the same maximum pressure as 5.56mm NATO and are around the same size, I would imagine the problem is that rifle rounds don't handle the escaping gasses of a revolver cylinder so well. I may be wrong though.
A bit of Googling indicates there are/have been hobbyists of various flavors that have made them, and there have been at least plans for some of the ridiculously-powerful revolvers on the market to be sold chambered in rifle rounds, but I don't think any have actually been released. Ultimately, it's probably an overall bad idea - I was just saying it could be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrackingBiscuit View Post
I would assume that if I'm fighting a werewolf at pistol range and miss my first shot, I'm not going to have time to try again. That doesn't mean "instantly dead" - it means whatever I do probably doesn't involve reloading or lining up a second shot while the werewolf is pouncing on me. Even moreso if I'm fighting an entire pack. Hence why the character in question is also carrying an electrified sword - you don't bring a knife to a gunfight for the same reasons you don't bring a gun to a knife fight.
Not a terrible assumption, honestly (but it's very rare the having more shots would be a bad thing), and it's certainly a good idea to have a more practical weapon for up-close. Out of curiosity, does the electrosword function like a stun wand (UT164), a zap glove (UT165), or something else? My personal preference for such weapons is to mimic the zap glove - it's a bit more effective (HT-6 rather than HT-5), and also has a "kill" setting; for blades I assume it's designed such that stabbing through armor negates the armor, but cutting through it generally doesn't (making the stun effect a follow-up on a thrust, but linked on a swing).
Old 06-27-2022, 05:30 PM   #42
Varyon

Default Re: Ideas:'Revolutionary' late 2030s Handgun for Black Ops/Horror/lite Sci-Fi setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
OTOH, a Black Op with preternatural strength or the ability to carry things heavier and bulkier than ordinary people in our reality want to carry might be able to use one of those overpowered handguns effectively.
Alucard from Hellsing had some pretty impressive custom handguns. The first has a 10 inch barrel, weighs a hefty 6 kg (13.23 lb), and is chambered in .454 Casull. When he meets a foe that it is insufficient against (due to said foe's extreme regeneration), he has an even larger weapon (the "Jackal") made - this one has a barrel length somewhere north of 13 inches, weighs 16 kg (35.27 lb), and is chambered in a custom 13 mm round. Both guns use custom bullets that are explosive and have special materials to make them more effective against monsters - silver from a melted cross for the Casull, blessed quicksilver (mercury) for the Jackal.

Being a literal monster himself, Alucard opts to dual wield the two weapons.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:20 PM   #43
jackcelso

The best book to construct weapons is Gurps veicules 3 ed.... a full sistem to build weapons... the only modifications you will need to do is ACC that is much greater in 3ed than 4 ed
jackcelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:29 PM   #44
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Alucard from Hellsing had some pretty impressive custom handguns. The first has a 10 inch barrel, weighs a hefty 6 kg (13.23 lb), and is chambered in .454 Casull. When he meets a foe that it is insufficient against (due to said foe's extreme regeneration), he has an even larger weapon (the "Jackal") made - this one has a barrel length somewhere north of 13 inches, weighs 16 kg (35.27 lb), and is chambered in a custom 13 mm round.
<groan>I'd wondered about this series a little but if the author is that bad with the metric system it makes me doubt him more generally.

Expressed either in metric or US customary 6kg or 13.2 lbs is a ridiculous weight for a .454 Casull. The Super Redhawk in HT already has a brutally heavy frame and a 7.5 inch barrel and still only comes in at 3.6 lbs. Another 2.5 inches of barrel isn't going to get you to a full 4 lbs (less than 2 kilos).

As for the other one, 35 lbs of mass will get you an entire Barett _rifle_ with 4 or 5 feet of barrel.

I don't really have mch hope about writers inventing badly concieved guns but could they at least not use the metric system to enhance their sloppiness?
Old 06-28-2022, 04:42 AM   #45
jacobmuller

If he needs more books, the Bundle of Holding website is breaking my heart by selling a virtual mound of GURPS pdfs.
Link https://bundleofholding.com/presents/GURPS4Essentials
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #46
SimonAce

What I'd expect to see are things like the FK BRNO

It would technically be a mature technology by the 2030's but the FK BRNO fires a 100 grain bullet at just under 2000FPS. Its basically an M1 Carbine the size of a service pistol accurate to around a hundred yards with manageable recoil

Carries 16 rounds and hits roughly with the energy of a .44 magnum to boot.

I'll leave it to our gun guys but the manufacturer claims it will handle a bear and I think it might. It should do GURPS terms a shade more damage than the M1 Carbine and it can penetrate Threat Level 3A body armor I'd put it at 4d

As for the late 2030's , its maybe a decade and change out. Its doubtful anything like telescoping caseless ammo or caseless will be available .

Even the "new' Army rifle the Sig in .277 Fury isn't very special. Its uses AR10 magazines. packs a decent punch, 100 FPS over a 7mm-08 round but is very high pressure In GURPS terms same as a 30-06 damage wise unless 7mm08 is in High Tech in which case use that

If your characters have access to military grade weapons , an SMG PDW in the 7.5 BRNO would be quite potent against a monsters. 10 rounds a second with manageable recoil doing 4d plus its compact

Such weapons don't yet exist but seem like something for a decade from now.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:55 PM   #47
johndallman
Night Watchman

You could just take an oversized, overpowered automatic pistol, claim that there's been significant improvement in smokeless powder by the 2030s, and that the manufacturers (who seem to be at least slightly competent) have upgraded the gun to handle better propellants.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:05 PM   #48
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
In fact, handguns too powerful to use go all the way back to the Mars Automatic Pistol.

While I have only seen a few photographs I believe the core of the Mars' pistol's problem might hae more to do with poor ergonomics than total power.

It's firing chamber appears to be higher and farther back than that of any modern pistol. This would probably give it a lot of muzzle jump and make it hard to hold on to.

Also, it's action which is described as "long recoil" does extend unusually far back and I might worry about where it tended to throw its' brass.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #49
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
While I have only seen a few photographs I believe the core of the Mars' pistol's problem might hae more to do with poor ergonomics than total power.

It's firing chamber appears to be higher and farther back than that of any modern pistol. This would probably give it a lot of muzzle jump and make it hard to hold on to.

Also, it's action which is described as "long recoil" does extend unusually far back and I might worry about where it tended to throw its' brass.
Nevertheless, the Mars Automatic Pistol did fire a 220-grain .45 calibre bullet at 1,250 feet per second, and its existence proves that we do not need futuristic propellants or stronger pistol actions to fire more powerful cartridges. We can already make, and indeed, buy off the shelf, hugely powerful handguns.

Apparently they are rather fun at the range and in matches, if you have large hands and like big bangs.

But as a practical weapon? They’re too large to conceal and too heavy to wear all day, so you’re better off with a PDW or carbine, which are more effective and no less convenient.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 07-01-2022 at 11:12 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:59 PM   #50
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
N

But as a practical weapon? They’re too large to conceal and too heavy to wear all day, so you’re better off with a PDW or carbine, which are more effective and no less convenient.
Eh, it might not seem to be a big deal in Australia where they're all illegal but in the US big honking pistols can be simply bought with a 3 day waiting period (LC3/4) but full auto carbines have major licensing requirements (LC2).

Note that I would not trade the 6D P+ of the S&W .500 for a 5D P (or less) carbine without a full auto feature. Never mind those P- PDWs.

Tags
guns, tech level