Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2019, 06:12 AM   #11
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Basic] Luck/Unluckiness limitation: Long-Term Relationships cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq View Post
Maybe Destiny (long-term relationships are Doomed) [-5]?
That I could see.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:30 AM   #12
WingedKagouti

Quote:
For it to be a disadvantage worth points, there needs to be some sort of ingame consequence for the character with the disadvantage. Unless romantic relations are important to the campaign, I'd require some additional effect like a ban on permanent Allies, Contacts and Patrons, a limited Reputation or something similar or deem it only worthy of being a Quirk.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:36 AM   #13
malloyd

Quote:
Maybe. Though that assumes Kirk is even looking for a long term relationship. The writing is seems fairly inconsistent about that and how much it bothers him to fail at it.

You only get points from a negative Destiny if it forces something you want to avoid, or thwarts something you actually want. It's certainly possible to come up with character concepts where exactly the same Destiny might be an advantage for one and a disadvantage to the other.

Last edited by malloyd; 08-24-2019 at 07:13 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Unless romantic relations are important to the campaign, I'd require some additional effect like a ban on permanent Allies, Contacts and Patrons, a limited Reputation or something similar or deem it only worthy of being a Quirk.
Exactly why I put it at a Quirk. Regardless of whether I'd be 'baring' specific Advantages* or if was simply a Player's signal that they're happy to have the Character be in doomed relationships, it's only worth a Quirk.

* Baring something a Player isn't going to take anyway isn't worth points. Which is why I don't allow the Incompetence 'anti-Talent'.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #15
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
* Baring something a Player isn't going to take anyway isn't worth points. Which is why I don't allow the Incompetence 'anti-Talent'.
And Incompetence is only worth points if the skill in question is valuable to the character in the campaign.

A ban on Allies/Contacts/Patrons would also be a ban on getting them as a reward later in the campaign. Which is only worth points if that is a realistic expectation and something players would actually benefit from having/earning.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Which is only worth points if that is a realistic expectation and something players would actually benefit from having/earning.
And actually desired.

If I make a Character with a Disad that limits me from taking certain Skills and Advantages it is because having those certain Skills and Advantages is not a part of the Character I invision.

So... why should I get extra points for limiting myself from those certain Skills and Advantages?

In other words, I decide I'm not getting into the Ally/Contact/Dependent/Minion/Patron part of the game*, it doesn't interest me for this Character†, why should I get more than a Quirk for limiting myself from such a niche* activity?

* Presuming it is niche. Otherwise, if it is an important and/or major portion of the game, why am I being allowed to partition my Character off from it?

† Yes, there is also an interesting discussion to be had about other Disads that such limit Characters from niche activities or activities that never come up despite the presupposed genre intentions; say a DF game where Social Stigmas have little to no impact on the Character because Town activities are extremely limited and the whole looting/selling/buying minigame is largely absent; why should the PC get points for the disad?

Last edited by evileeyore; 08-24-2019 at 09:15 AM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #17
jason taylor

Some thoughts:

The PC is from a tribalistic society that places great prestige on reproducing. Not having a mate is a slur on ones virility or femininity (anyone remember those pitiful barren women in the Old Testament or Mrs Bennet's fanatical matchmaking)?.

The character is cursed by Fair Folk. In that case unluckiness in love is Cursed or Jinxed or both. It might even be a Gaes.

In fact if you make it a Gaes you can play with it a lot. "No children will come to you if you draw a weapon in battle". Maybe there can even be a way to get rid of the curse. Something equiv to stealing the jewels from Morgoth's Crown?

Last edited by jason taylor; 08-29-2019 at 05:43 PM.
jason taylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #18
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Some thoughts:

The PC is from a tribalistic society that places great prestige on reproducing. Not having a mate is a slur on ones virility or femininity (anyone remember those pitiful barren women in the Old Testament or Mrs Bennet's fanatical matchmaking)?.

The character is cursed by Fair Folk. In that case unluckiness in love is Cursed or Jinxed or both. It might even be a Gaes.
Interesting thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
In fact if you make it a Gaes you can play with it a lot. "No children will come to you if you draw a weapon in battle". Maybe there can even be a way to get rid of the curse. Something equiv to stealing the jewels from Morgoth's Crown?
... stealing the Silmarils tends to make one's fate worse, IIRC.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #19
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post

... stealing the Silmarils tends to make one's fate worse, IIRC.
Yes but you get to marry the World's Most Beautiful Woman and be father of several empires.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:10 AM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Destined to die alone. But really long term relationships weren't even an option. Sure three of his many flirtations died, but even if they hadn't died, it wasn't like Kirk was actually going to stay with her. That's not unluckiness or destiny. It's just the natural consequence of his lifestyle. If you want a real example of "unlucky in love" go with Ms Tree. All of her boyfriends turn out to be murderers or murder victims.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 08-30-2019 at 01:14 AM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, luck