Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-13-2022, 09:33 AM   #1
Anders

Default Create Plants spell

Can druids create any plants they want with this spell? Medicinal plants? Rare and expensive plants from other regions? Wheat and onions?
Old 02-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Create Plants spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Can druids create any plants they want with this spell? Medicinal plants? Rare and expensive plants from other regions? Wheat and onions?
I suspect that it depends on the GM, but in general I think they could create any plant they're familiar with. If the plant is normal for the area, they should be familiar with it already (including medicinal plants, as long as they aren't rare). Plants that are rare, or that don't grow where you are, should require the druid to have studied a living example of that plant for some hours, like the Familiarity rules with equipment.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #3
dcarson

Given a druid being all about nature a penalty based on how unnatural it being here would be is reasonable. So invasive plant, plant from different climate, out of season all give minuses.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
Dalin

My default answer would have been "no," but druids can always use some lovin'. I like the idea of applying some penalties to the casting roll. You could even say that if you would have succeeded without the penalty, you just get random local plants, but a great MoS means you are able to "summon the plant spirits" more precisely.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #5
Rasputin

I'd say yes, but with penalties. You want a palm tree in Ontario? That's a hefty penalty to the roll, and it won't live long afterwards, but yeah.

As for medicinal, yes, but remember that you still need to make another roll against Pharmacy to make the extract. So essentially, you cast a spell make the plant when you'd normally make another roll (Naturalist or Survival) to find the plant. Doesn't seem like an issue to me at all.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

It doesn't create a "generic plant " with no identifying characteristics. It makes a regular mundane plant. So just like other Create spells the caster specifies the details. I wouldn't even penalize it for unnaturalness, you can Create Water in the desert too. If the druid knows a plant they can create the plant.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:40 AM   #7
Rolando

I wouldn't give any penalties, a druid can unnaturally make plants move and other magical phenomena.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:16 PM   #8
Anthony

I might give penalties based on how hard it would be for a mundane gardener to grow the plant, but usually that's not going to be super meaningful.

Tags
create plants, spells