Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #1011
Dammann

Default Re: Art for games

Bad guys!

I think I am gonna order some shrinky dink material for making weapons and such.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #1012
lwcamp

Here's one I made recently
http://panoptesv.com/Brushstrokes/Pi...asy/Fenrir.jpg

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #1013
Ts_

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
This is good, but the man's face somehow doesn't convey anything for me. I really like some of the reptiles/dragons/dinosaurs on your page, though.

Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #1014
Dammann

I made some more minis.

Kobold and other kobold were part of a mass produced set of kobolds. I made a bunch of heads, a bunch of bodies, and then attached a bunch of feet and tails. They have mustard seeds for eyes. Working with these kits lets me turn out large numbers quickly, but they lack some of the individual charm from the sculpts I spent more time with.

I made a bunch of goblins as well, using a similar method.

I have posted a picture of this guy already, but the light is a bit better here. This club-bearing orc is new. This spear and shield orc is also new. I am still finishing up this spear orc, who is wearing a wrestling singlet type garment. I am almost done with this orc champion. You can see in the picture the way I work, a bit. I cut off a wine cork, tape some coins on for stability, then stick an armature made from paper clip wire into the cork. I cook the clay on in stages, from the bottom up. Here are two orcs I've just started.

In some of these pictures, you might notice a bag of rice. When I cook the minis, or cook a part of the minis, I place them in a shallow baking pan, then pour rice into the pan around the minis to help support them. I found out early on that the weight of the ones without armatures causes some deformation.

This is all for a GURPS DF campaign. I wish I'd thought to do this for last year's science fiction campaign. It is pretty fun to make these dudes.

I want to make some gnolls, an owlbear, a couple of trolls, and some human thugs, too. I might eventually make dragons, griffons, minotaurs, unicorns, and demons. I want to violate a lot of DF tropes in this campaign, so I am thinking of having a unicorn that is aggressive and territorial, possibly with an exception for chaste or clueless characters.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #1015
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Those are some adorable kobolds, even if mass-produced!

(And I love the goblins with the huge Foglio-like fangs!)

Awesome work!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #1016
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I want to violate a lot of DF tropes in this campaign, so I am thinking of having a unicorn that is aggressive and territorial, possibly with an exception for chaste or clueless characters.
I can see an unchaste character becoming a little distressed by friendly attention from a unicorn, if his reputation is on the line ;)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #1017
Dammann

Thank you, Beth! Cute things that bite will probably be a thing with my campaign. I was inspired by Foglio and Sam Keith's meeps when making the goblins.

The trouble with unicorns (as I conceive them) is that they know what you did. Could be a reason that they're rare where people live.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #1018
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
FF-style chibi has certainly influenced these minis (although calling them minis seems somehow disrespectful toward painted miniatures sculpted by experienced professionals and painstakingly painted by dedicated hobbyists).
I like yours better than any professional minis I've seen. For one thing they seem actually closer to GURPS scale.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #1019
Dammann

The scale issue was actually part of the impetus that compelled me to get a bunch of polymer clay and start doing this. I was troubled by the awareness that a 28mm mini would be about 3' 6" in GURPS scale.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #1020
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I can see an unchaste character becoming a little distressed by friendly attention from a unicorn, if his reputation is on the line ;)
That trope has been around for a LONG time. The SCA bards up here often sing a song entitled "The Knight and the Unicorn"... on just that very issue...

Punchline, when the knight asks why, the unicorn, she says: My Lord, I'm randy, Too!
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art