Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-15-2022, 11:02 PM   #1
Mcruff

Default Slight of hand

I'm still using the original rules so am unaware of what's in the new. So, slight of hand, talent of spell? I was thinking talent so any low IQ county faire charlatan could fool people. Someting along the lines of 3d vs dex to make small items "disappear" and a 3d vs IQ for the observer to catch the move. Thanks in advance for any input and by the way I hate spell correct
Mcruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:37 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Slight of hand

The target of invisibility doesn't have to be alive, but the most cost effective spell is to cast an image duplicate of the item to be stolen to displace the original into your hex.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:18 AM   #3
larsdangly

I can't see any evidence 'slight of hand' exists as a talent or a spell. But Pickpocket talent works as you describe and, while it isn't quite the same thing as a 'close magic' trick, it seems like an obvious extrapolation.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The target of invisibility doesn't have to be alive, but the most cost effective spell is to cast an image duplicate of the item to be stolen to displace the original into your hex.
If you're using real magic for sleight of hand tricks, there's something a bit wrong.

Moreover, ain't no way I'd let someone use image to displace an object from another hex into his own. That seems utterly abusive. If you allow that, then why not displace a locked door from the current hex to an adjacent empty hex? Or displace an enemy to the adjacent fire hex? Image isn't a cheap one-hex telekinesis.

Lars's suggestion that Pickpocket could be used for sleight of hand tricks seems reasonable. You could also just add a mundane talent for the purpose, restricted just to the sorts of stage magic you want to include.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:40 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Space Gamer #65 (reprinted in the TFT Companion) presented a stand-alone talent for SLEIGHT OF HAND (IQ 10, 2 points) designed for use in a more modern setting. As written, it is somewhat duplicative of the new PICKPOCKET talent, however.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:03 PM   #6
larsdangly

Ah; I forgot to check the Companion!

I can see a place in the game for such a talent separate from Pickpocket, but the cost and prereq are too high to justify it. I'd say it should be some sort of IQ 8 or 9, 1 talent point talent. Faced with that cost, any sensible player would just argue that their Pickpocket talent covers the same ground. And they should probably win that argument.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote