Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #471
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"The trip will take but a few hours. We will travel to the Caves of Calythone, where you will hear the words of the Emporer."
"A few hours? give me ten minutes to put someone else in charge, and then I'll go hear the emperor. Is it appropriate to bring along a handful of aides? What sort of secrecy do we want?"


"What shall I call you, being of atmosphere?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well if his house is like that... I guess I'd be looking for someone who knows about or is a live-in servant or something like that. Maybe I could bribe them into taking a "vacation"?
That's an interesting approach... how will you locate this servant?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:35 PM   #472
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"A few hours? give me ten minutes to put someone else in charge, and then I'll go hear the emperor. Is it appropriate to bring along a handful of aides? What sort of secrecy do we want?"


"What shall I call you, being of atmosphere?"
"You may bring anyone whom you feel to have your absolute trust. Discretion is of the utmost importance. What we discuss will turn the tide for the resistance if it remains secret, but would spell defeat if those in power in the imperial forces learn of what is discussed.

You may call me 'Sirrus'."
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #473
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's an interesting approach... how will you locate this servant?
Hm... It's a bit of a paradox at the moment. If I had his address, I could try a classical social engineering approach (i.e. call all the maid service's offices and, I don't know, say I found something belonging to one of the maids at that address, I want to return it, get the maid's contact information out of that).

OK, maybe I could do that twice. Maybe I could contact the publisher of these books, or perhaps Fericus's PR firm and get his address that way? Maybe claim to be a photographer, getting a picture of his house for whatever the local equivalent of better homes and gardens is?

Research to look up the PR firm, Memetics! to persuade a secretary to give up the information.
Quote:
[326] 22-02-08 23:17:43 GMT
Research
3d6 <= 15
3 + 4 + 6 = 13 ... success
[327] 22-02-08 23:19:45 GMT
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15
2 + 2 + 4 = 8 ... success
Pausing in case he doesn't have a PR firm. I think I'd probably need a different story if I need to talk to the publisher.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:24 AM   #474
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"You may bring anyone whom you feel to have your absolute trust. Discretion is of the utmost importance. What we discuss will turn the tide for the resistance if it remains secret, but would spell defeat if those in power in the imperial forces learn of what is discussed.

You may call me 'Sirrus'."

"Very well, Sirrus."



He grabs one aid and one guard, gives a few orders, and proceeds down into the caves on an "inspection". not terribly far past the cameras, the aide says "We just lost connectivity sir. We have no communications with our forces."



Will you tell them anything additional before they meet the "Emperor"?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Maybe I could contact the publisher of these books, or perhaps Fericus's PR firm and get his address that way? Maybe claim to be a photographer, getting a picture of his house for whatever the local equivalent of better homes and gardens is?

Research to look up the PR firm, Memetics! to persuade a secretary to give up the information.

Pausing in case he doesn't have a PR firm. I think I'd probably need a different story if I need to talk to the publisher.

He does have a PR firm. They'll be happy to accomodate you if you can show that you work for a large and dignified firm, like better homes and gardens, the local city, or some such. You have anticipated this need. How will you fake it?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #475
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
... the aide says "We just lost connectivity sir. We have no communications with our forces."
"Do not be alarmed. The jamming of communications is part of the protections that make our choice of meeting place ideal. Keep going straight ahead and bear left at the fork. I will go ahead to announce your arrival and return shortly."

Vassarious rushes ahead and reports to Holo-Maximus that there is a representative on the way with a minimal escort, and explains that they have been told to call Vassrious 'Sirrus' to obfuscate their identity if there is a leak to the imperial forces. They say that they would like to plan the time for a coordinated assault as they previously discussed, but that is likely best that they do not disclose the primary objective, to prevent the possibility of its discovery.

Vassarious then flies back to escort the General and his entourage the rest of the way and make introductions.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:49 PM   #476
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He does have a PR firm. They'll be happy to accommodate you if you can show that you work for a large and dignified firm, like better homes and gardens, the local city, or some such. You have anticipated this need. How will you fake it?
Well, I suppose that depends on how deep they're going to check... Would just dropping a name I look up on the local equivalent of LinkedIn be enough? Or would I need a more detailed information be needed? Would they send the information over to a work email for example? Maybe I could find an underworld contact who could crack a photographer's email for me.

An admin roll for some guidance on what the PR firm's security/privacy policy would be like.
Quote:
[328] 22-02-10 02:48:28 GMT
Administration for guidance

3d6 <= 15
3 + 3 + 1 = 7 ... success

Last edited by TGLS; 02-22-2022 at 07:53 AM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:23 AM   #477
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Do not be alarmed. The jamming of communications is part of the protections that make our choice of meeting place ideal. Keep going straight ahead and bear left at the fork. I will go ahead to announce your arrival and return shortly."

Vassarious rushes ahead and reports to Holo-Maximus that there is a representative on the way with a minimal escort, and explains that they have been told to call Vassrious 'Sirrus' to obfuscate their identity if there is a leak to the imperial forces. They say that they would like to plan the time for a coordinated assault as they previously discussed, but that is likely best that they do not disclose the primary objective, to prevent the possibility of its discovery.

Vassarious then flies back to escort the General and his entourage the rest of the way and make introductions.

Maximus is curious as to what excuse should be given if not the truth... but he thinks he can be mysterious enough for this general.



The General drops to one knee when he sees the emperor, and his associates drop as well:
"My emperor, I am most please to see you alive. What took your awakening so long? Your humble servant awaits your command."


Maximus smiles: "Arise Marcellus. It is not the body of the emperor you speak to, but a copy of his mind. The body of the emperor has been controlled and corrupted by those who wish to usurp the realm. That is why I have tarried in this rebellion."


"We need your aid. We have an objective that must be carried out, and we need an attack in order to accomplish it. It must be a very wide-ranging attack..."


What locations were you hoping for in the attack? a general push by all members of the rebellion, or do you have target locations you feel would be useful?


Marcellus stands up : "My emperor, I will gladly coordinate this attack... but I am not the head of the rebellion, and some of our leaders have turned against you. I have always hoped that you would return, that something would change. And now it has. But others have turned on you, or think you are behind the oppression. Your body walks again, and this has caused great consternation among the generals. But I will do what I can to convince the others. Shall I tell them about you?"


Maximus looks at Vassarious: "How much time to we need for our plan? any chance we could get more of the command structure in here?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, I suppose that depends on how deep they're going to check... Would just dropping a name I look up on the local equivalent of LinkedIn be enough? Or would I need a more detailed information be needed? Would they send the information over to a work email for example? Maybe I could find an underworld contact who could crack a photographer's email for me.

An admin roll for some guidance on what the PR firm's security/privacy policy would be like.
You'll need official communication of some sort: probably faking watermarked mail, calling from a company phone line, or using company email.



An underworld contact is an option.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #478
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

We can claim there is another objective as a decoy, but I think it is fine to simply not tell them the main objective and that the coordinated attack is part of a larger plan.

Vassarious says he can stay as long as another day or perhaps two if it is needed, as they have arranged back-up rendezvous points and times with their partner.

They are best served by delaying as little as possible, to reduce the danger of being discovered. How long does the General feel he would need to organize bringing some of his superiors here for a proper planning session?

If the general believes it will not take too long, Vassarious will remain and Shepard the process... If it seems the planning would take them out of the planned rendevous windows, he will discuss if they can figure out when the attack can take place in case Vassarious has to leave before all the details are worked out.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:38 AM   #479
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You'll need official communication of some sort: probably faking watermarked mail, calling from a company phone line, or using company email.

An underworld contact is an option.
I think I can manage this myself. Surely the photographers have work cell phones on their person.

So the plan would be:
Step 1) Cross reference photographers who would plausibly want to photograph Fericus's house with dating profiles (Research)
Step 2) Attempt to match with one of these people (I assume this would be a straight reaction roll, but I'll use intuition in case I have a choice)
Step 3) Depending on how perceptive they seem, either distract and pickpocket them (possibly using an extra arm, they won't expect that) or seduce them and secure their work phone that way. (Sex appeal either for distraction or seduction, Pickpocket at default if pickpocketing.)
Step 4) Call the PR firm.

Quote:
[329] 22-02-10 15:35:46 GMT
Research
3d6 <= 15
2 + 6 + 6 = 14 ... success
[330] 22-02-10 15:36:11 GMT
Intuition
3d6 <= 16
6 + 1 + 6 = 13 ... success
Well let's see who I found.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #480
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
We can claim there is another objective as a decoy, but I think it is fine to simply not tell them the main objective and that the coordinated attack is part of a larger plan.

Vassarious says he can stay as long as another day or perhaps two if it is needed, as they have arranged back-up rendezvous points and times with their partner.

They are best served by delaying as little as possible, to reduce the danger of being discovered. How long does the General feel he would need to organize bringing some of his superiors here for a proper planning session?
Marcellus: "Two days? That might be sufficient to convince the commanders in Lithus. We can't contact and convince our allies on Verdaze that quickly, and I'm not sure who all the cells on imperial worlds report to. I mean usurper controlled worlds. It might be sufficient to convince HQ. We need to get at least some of them down here, and they're all the way in Lithus City."


"I can send you with an escort of my my trusted aides, that should be enough to get them down here."



"Do we need to protect this region? I'd hate for the true emperor to be destroyed because we knew his location and failed to protect him."



I repeat my question:

Quote:
What locations were you hoping for in the attack? a general push by all members of the rebellion, or do you have target locations you feel would be useful?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I think I can manage this myself. Surely the photographers have work cell phones on their person.

So the plan would be:
Step 1) Cross reference photographers who would plausibly want to photograph Fericus's house with dating profiles (Research)
Step 2) Attempt to match with one of these people (I assume this would be a straight reaction roll, but I'll use intuition in case I have a choice)
Step 3) Depending on how perceptive they seem, either distract and pickpocket them (possibly using an extra arm, they won't expect that) or seduce them and secure their work phone that way. (Sex appeal either for distraction or seduction, Pickpocket at default if pickpocketing.)
Step 4) Call the PR firm.

Well let's see who I found.

Nice plan... You find a good candidate at one of the target magazines... roll memetics! to successfully get your profile to run past his and "snag" him. His name is Petracus.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.