Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
Harry O'Gane

Default [OOC] The Detroit Blues

Looking for players for another GURPS project I've started to write. For the sake of simplicity, let's go with 4 players for the start. I'll see if more are needed.

What is this campaign about?

The action takes place in Detroit, year 1985. Detroit is, at the time, crime infested and the Detroit Police are really busy. The PCs will take on the roles of police detectives, private investigators, forensic experts and whatever comes to their minds, as long as it is closely tied to police work.

PCs will have a police station as their base, from which they'll get cases (quests) and go solve them. Now, since there'll always be a bunch of cases to deal with, this campaign allows players to split easily and go solve different cases at the same time, or solve the same crime while being split around the town looking for clues.

Even though I didn't plan any specific books to be used here, besides GURPS: Characters, you're free to use whatever you find in GURPS: High-Tech 4E and GURPS: Mysteries 4E

Characters, however, even though we're playing a semi-cinematic game here, do not start off with a lot of CP. Each PC will have 75 points to spend, with a maximum of -30 disadvantages and optional -5 quirks.

Semi-cinematic? Harry, what do you mean by that?

Well, I just wasn't sure how to name this kind of genre properly. The game is realistic in the aspect of characters actually risking their lives and having a hazardous job. The crimes you'll be dealing with are not really a film material, but are hard to solve and realistic in a way.

However, it's the way of GM-ing that makes the game cinematic.

There are two ideas I picked up from playing PbP games, and all the credit goes to the people who came up with it in the first place.

The first thing is that the game is going to be written as though this was all a comic book. So, each post takes one frame of a comic. I am not sure who GM-ed a game like this, but I reckon it was already implemented here on these very forums. Anyway, whenever there's PC's turn, he has one frame to fill. Give out descriptions of what his character is doing, type what he's either thinking in a conversation cloud, or what he's saying out loud.

Now, it may seem that having only one frame per action seems pretty limited. That's why I decided to pick up a very original idea used by Epic Kobold in his "Liquored Lizard" campaign. Each PC will get a certain number of Frame Points (FRAPs), with which he can, first of all, add another frame in which he/she can give a better explanation on what he's doing, enhance him/herself in a way, invoke a deus ex-machina and so on. Here's the list of what you can do (note that each usage of a FRAP gives you another frame in the comicbook):
  • Give a +1 on any roll, making the next action more prone to succeed
  • Give a +2 on any defense roll
  • Give a +4 on a required HT roll to survive lethal damage, getting stunned, knocked unconscious etc.
  • Invoke a Deus Ex Machina. Note that this kind of ability can be used only under strict conditions: 1) The character can use this only if he/she is alone (i.e. only when there are no other PCs nearby), 2) Can be used only to get out of imminent trouble, when being chases etc. 3) It cannot be used to give you an advantage over someone, only to eliminate the advantage someone has over you. 4) The game will be split into Episodes. You may use DEM only ONCE per Episode. Long story short, you may use this as a safe-escape mechanism.
  • Turn a critical failure into just a failure. But only that, meaning you cannot turn a success into a crit. success, or a failure into success.
  • Get a hint. A good choice if you're at a crime scene and simply miss something. Also, by using this, I will PM you with a hint instead of posting it IC.

NOTE: This list is prone to change, so make SURE you check it every time you're about to use a FRAP.

Who are we in this game?

Detectives, Private investigators, forensic experts and everything tied to the police work that includes crime scene investigation, interrogation and evidence analysis.

You are made out of 75 points, with -30 of additional advantages and -5 optional quirks.

Things you get for free:
Patron: Detroit Police Department (15 pt base cost, FoA: 12, x2) [30] (yes, even a PI gets this. They're annoying, but helpful)
Legal Enforcement Powers 1 [5] (If you're a PI or someone who doesn't actually work for the police, you may trade these 5 points for whatever you want.)
Police Rank 1 (Officer/Investigator) [5] (PIs may trade these 5 points as well.)

Things you may not like, but still have:
Duty: The Police (FoA: 12, Extremely Hazardous) [-15] (This counts only for real police detectives. Regarding the others, I'll give a rule of thumb and appoint a proper disadvantage to you)

Things that are obligatory and you must pay for them (life sucks, I know):
The following skills: Savoir-Faire (Police), Criminology, Interrogation, Area-Knowledge, a good Gun skill, Driving, Forced Entry, First Aid, Law (Crim.)
Forensic Experts need Chemistry, Professional skill (Pathology), Surgery, Forensics and Diagnosis.

Things that might be useful:
The following skills: Lip-Reading, Body Language, Acting, Fast-Talk, Climbing, Jumping, Gesture, Detect Lies, Stealth, Streetwise.
All the social-based advantages, an extra language (Spanish, for example), and good IQ and DX.

Things you should avoid:
New talent advantages. Try to use only those in Basic set: Characters. Also, disadvantages that limit your movement and mobility, such as a crippled leg or bad eyesight should be avoided. You're cops, after all. Note that I didn't say anything about being a corrupt cop.

Things that are banned:
All the supernatural and exotic advantages/disadvantages, Wildcard skills (yes, they're cinematic by default, but I dislike using them. ), following advantages:
Wealth: more than Comfortable, Rank: More than lvl. 2, Status: more than lvl. 2, Ally, other Patron, although Favors are still legit, Chronolocation, Extra Attack, Gadgeteer, Gunslinger, High TL, Enhanced versions of Luck, Serendipity, More than 1 point in Sig. Gear, Weapon Master, Zeroed and points traded for money.

...and the following disadvantages:
Acceleration Weakness, Amnesia, Berserk, Blindness, Bloodlust, Cannot Learn, Deafness, Epilepsy, Hemophilia, Killjoy, Low TL, Mute, Neuro. Disorder, No Fine Manipulators, No Legs, Numb, One Arm, One Hand, Pacifism (only the "Full" Pacifism version.), Slave Mentality, Split Personality (IPs, however, may take this.), Status (Negative), Total Klutz, Poverty: Dead Broke

So, do our characters know each other this way?

Some of you, yes. Even though you're not obliged to, it would be perfect if soem players, in pairs, would work it out over PM and be partners. Of course, this only goes for detectives. PIs, however, might be in close connection to detectives or forensic experts. In any case, players will be presented in groups of two. If it happens that this game would have an odd number of players, an NPC will be appointed to the guy that ends up being alone.

Forensic experts, if someone takes any of those, must work in pair, as well.

How much does gear mean in this game?

You have exactly $20.000 for the start ($40.000 if your Wealth is Comfortable, less if you're Poor or Struggling). The maximum of $5.000 ($10.000 for Comf., $2.500 or $1.000 for Poverty-struck) is what you may carry around with you. The other remaining money goes to your apartment, wardrobe, vehicles and things that are otherwise not carried on person.

I won't be stingy with the gear, but I'll keep the track of it. Be warned that I'll pay special attention to your wallets and guns.

So, when does this start and how do we post?

Not so soon. I still have stuff to write, and you need to make your characters. But when the time comes to get ready, I'll warn you here in the OOC.

Now, the way of posting is like this: Do not, I repeat DO NOT post if the only thing you have to say is strictly OOC. That's what OOC thread is for. However, if you're using a FRAP or rolling something, make sure you put it in brackets, but do this only if you have something to do IC. If you're simply rolling something, without taking any action, post that in the OOC.

Another thing: Keep in mind that the whole campaign looks like a comic. Therefore, think before posting something, and consider would something fit a frame (Don't worry about how much you type, let's say the convo clouds have unlimited text capacity). Why to post like this? Simply to control the actions of the PCs a bit. I don't want one of the PCs to do a complete analysis of the crime scene without the others even having a chance. Plus, when it comes to battle, each frame would represent the same second.

NOTE: If you think this way of posting does not suit you AND you have an idea how to improve it, please notify me.

Do not post before giving the other players a chance to read and catch up with everyone. We live all round the world, and keeping the pace with the others in GMT-8 when you're GMT+1 can be hard. This is PbP, and it goes slowly. Make a post, wait a bit for the others and then make another one.

How often should we post, then?

I'll check the thread every day and try to post at least once per day, unless there has been no change in a whole day.

Oh yes, you said that we might be splitting at one part of the game, how do we post then?

It's as though there are two games in one. If one team is chasing a guy, while the other is dissecting a corpse, of course I won't wait for the forensics so the other guys can continue the chase.

If I have more questions?

Feel free to ask.

Marko

Last edited by Harry O'Gane; 08-25-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Harry O'Gane

Default Re: [OOC] The Detroit Blues

People playing:
Skullcrusher
Dorin Thorha
Epic Kobold
Jmurrell

People that are most probably going to appear in a couple of episodes:
Talosian

Last edited by Harry O'Gane; 09-02-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Skullcrusher

Ok I I'll bite. I am thinking of playing a Bounty hunter with some PI skills. Will have to work through his Background and such but will try to have something this weekend.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
Ok I I'll bite. I am thinking of playing a Bounty hunter with some PI skills. Will have to work through his Background and such but will try to have something this weekend.
You mean Bounty Hunter as in this?

Marko
Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Skullcrusher

Yes I mean that. But that would be one of his jobs. He would have detective skills because he will need them to track down fugitives.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Skullcrusher

You could also say he is a skiptracer.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
You could also say he is a skiptracer.
I've just been reading a bit on the subject. Bounty hunter is not a skiptracer, but it IS a method they use, however.

So let me get this straight. Whenever there's a fugitive around, the bounty hunter's job is to find him and bring him back, right?

Seems legit to me. Base your character as a PI, add the Bounty Hunter Licence as a perk [1], Legal Enforcement Powers 1 (Accesibility, Only on Fugitives, -20%) [4] and Legal Immunity [5]. Patron (Detroit Police) [30], since they're the ones who usually hire you, and Duty (FoA: 12, Extremely Hazardous, -5) [-15]

These things must be on your sheet and you do not pay points to get them.

Marko

Last edited by Harry O'Gane; 08-25-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
Skullcrusher

Cool thanks it makes things easier

Old 08-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
Talosian

I'm actually really interested in this, but I'm in three roleplays, and getting my own ready to start (I also have classes and other obligations, so things are getting a bit hectic).

I'll try and keep an eye on this. If I find time, I might join. Best of luck :)
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
Harry O'Gane

All right, whenever you change your mind, just ping me :)

Marko

Tags
crime, detroit, modern, police, semi-cinematic