Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #101
Kalzazz

Default Re: [MH] Gun Wielding Foes

Well, the problem with a 'pre worked setting' is that noones idea of what the pre worked setting should be will ever mesh

I mean, my idea of vampires is completely different from what MH has for vampires for instance, and same with werewolves

Kal Vampire Preexisting Notion - vampires lack major natural weapons (human fangs arent so cool), but have nice hands, thus, they tend to use weapons mostly, preferring swords and such since cutting is good vs unliving and some vampires grew up with swords, but also liking guns as well. Since they are strong, often wield rifles one handed, or wield larger guns like Browning M2s

Kal Preexisting Werewolf Notion - In human form they like guns, but normally fight in wereform, turning to giant manwolfs who forfeit the ability to wield objects for epic strength and claws akin to sword blades, relying on berserker tactics and getting up close and personal, relying on killing the other guy first then regenerating

Completely not what MH specifies, but MH is still very cool and Ive been adopting it and all . . . . but if it was a complete setting it would be Utterly Nothing like my own ideas for a setting

Heh - starslayer and I use the same setting actually for modern stuff, and despite playing and DMing together for years in the same setting, our takes on it are very different. For instance, unlike starslayer I can't recall a single time I used gangers as hired muscle. I've used gangers as enemies before, but they were the enemies du jour, not hired muscle. Hired goons in my games tend to be former Soviet soldiers, or goons hired from a company called Expendable Temporaries
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:39 AM   #102
tg_ambro

Default Re: [MH] Gun Wielding Foes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
. . . or goons hired from a company called Expendable Temporaries . . .
You'd have to be a grade-A dingus to join that club. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Can I ask a question?

Why is (almost) everybody using the skills of real-world gangbangers as the measuring stick for this discussion? I don't see how that's relevant to the topic (which was about cultists, intelligent monsters, and rogue humans using guns against the hunters), unless your champions decide to stop protecting folks from savage monsters and decide to become anti-gang vigilantes instead. And if that happens, are you really playing Monster Hunters anymore?
I think the largest reason for this, is assumption clash. For instance, when I think of goons, in MH, I think of cultists, not these guys. . . maybe this guy. When I think of cultists, I picture someone like this, or this. But not this. Do note, if that lovely family were harboring terrible monsters, and actually looked or acted like one of the first two pictures but kept that ascpect hidden, then that would match my assumptions, and be way cool.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!

Last edited by tg_ambro; 08-16-2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Clarity
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ak-47, modern, monster hunters