Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #1471
somecallmetim

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

It seems like on some Templates (e.g. Ghost rider and the Hulk, probably others), you've applied enhancements and limitations to the entire cost of their alternate form, rather than just the 15 point base, which I don't believe is RAW. Is that an intentional deviation from the books or am I being really obtuse and missing something obvious?
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #1472
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
It seems like on some Templates (e.g. Ghost rider and the Hulk, probably others), you've applied enhancements and limitations to the entire cost of their alternate form, rather than just the 15 point base, which I don't believe is RAW. Is that an intentional deviation from the books or am I being really obtuse and missing something obvious?
Probably just a quirk of GCA when I'm using it to do the math.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #1473
somecallmetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Probably just a quirk of GCA when I'm using it to do the math.
Ah, cool. Thanks for the clarification.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #1474
phayman53

I have a lot of fun browsing your webpage with all of the characters, you have done an impressive amount of work. While doing this, I think I noticed something that might be a mistake (or at least does not make sense to me). I was looking at the Ani-Men and Ape-Man seems paradoxically weaker than Cat-Man. Ape-Man has a strength of 20/30 which, unless I am mistaken, means it costs him FP to use ST 30 (you also don't have any kind of enhanced or super strength in the advantages, and only charge him 100 points for ST20, so it also seems like you missed listing an advantage). Cat-Man, on the other hand, has ST 30, which makes his long-term ST better than Ape-Man's and also gives him 10 more HP. This doesn't seem to fit the flavor of the characters. You describe them both under "Strength Level" as able to lift 1500 lbs under ideal circumstances, but should Cat-Man be able to do that better and longer than Ape-Man and also have 10 more HP?

I am by no means an expert on the comic characters, so I admit I might be completely wrong, but It would seem to me that a character based on an ape should be tougher and stronger than a character based on a large cat. Just figured I would let you know in case it was a mistake.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #1475
Phantasm

I'm in the process of cleaning up and balancing prior entries both against each other and several of my Shadowguard game's PCs. Good catch w/ Ape-Man and Cat-Man. I need to adjust Cat-Man's stats a bit.

I should double-check Ape-Man's stats to see if I used Enhanced ST or laid out Lifting ST & Striking ST separately.

With Cat-Man, I may go ST 14 + Enhanced ST +16 instead of 20 + 10 like Ape-Man.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #1476
phayman53

P.S. Looking at the Ani-Men then led me to look at Daredevil's write-up. In the description you say he is skilled at Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, but then in his skills he has neither Judo nor Wrestling. That again seems like a mistake.

I don't mean to nitpick, especially on characters you wrote-up a LONG time ago (2007, I think), I figured you would want to know.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #1477
Otaku

I couldn't find this in the thread, but from the link in your signature, Phantasm:

Quote:
Role-Playing Notes:
How can I describe how to play him without exaggerating? Two words: Utterly Impossible. To get a feel for JJJ, go watch the Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire Spider-Man trilogy; the actor pegged both the look and the mannerisms, and the script (and I don't doubt a bunch of ad-libs) got his motivations perfect.
While I agree that is a great source, there's one that is even better, though it'll take longer to "consume":

The Spectacular Spider-Man TV series. Yes, this is a "cartoon", but it is the best of the Spider-Man cartoons I've seen (granted, I haven't seen many in their entirety, let alone as an adult). It isn't that the Raimi films don't do the same thing but that it gives you more of it while also giving great characterization to so many other Spider-Man mainstays, both major and minor. My apologies if I've brought this up before; it wouldn't surprise me if I've actually mentioned it more than once; besides holding the series in high esteem from watching it when it first aired, then later in reruns, I purchased the full series on DVD a year or so ago. All of these are times when I may have gushed about it, but I went to see what your official take on JJJ was after he popped up in your ongoing campaign that uses the reboot setting.

The other thing to consider is that like everyone in the MU, different writers spin characters in different ways. This blog post covers the "two J. Jonah Jamesons". I'm mainly including it as it also contains scans of relevant pages showing JJJ in action.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:59 AM   #1478
Lameth

Regarding magneto

Can you explain the difference and uses between tk metal and control metal please?

Are you saying that simply floating metal is tk, while doing techniques like pulling iron fillings out into the air and then condensing them into balls of hard iron would be control metal? Or the technique of pulling a gun apart into its components in mid air?

Can you maybe give me some examples of the differences please?

Thanks phantasm!
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #1479
Phantasm

You pretty much have the gist of it.

Telekinesis (Magnetic) permits him to levitate things made of or containing ferrous metals, but does not permit the reshaping except for what he could conceivably do with hands that strong. Control Metal does not permit him to levitate objects, but can reshape objects beyond what using hands of the TK's effective ST can do.

Obviously, it's not always clear which he's using at the time, and there are other times when he's clearly using both at once. A good rule of thumb for me is: Is it floating, and could he do it with his hands?

For Telekinesis, examples from the first two X-movies include simply lifting the cars, cocking the guns, pulling the triggers, and suspending the X-jet in mid-air.

For Control Metal, changing metal balls into a disc to stand on is probably the most visual example from the movies I can think of. Another example comes from the comics in the mid-'80s, when he formed a steel bar into a comb for Janet van Dyne/the Wasp to fix her hair while in his temporary base during the original Secret Wars. Forcing Wolverine to attack himself with his own claws could be either; extracting the adamantium off Wolvie's bones and making it flow like liquid while doing so, however, is Control.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by Phantasm; 11-30-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:11 AM   #1480
Phantasm

THE CHARTER

The interstellar nation known as the Charter of Independent Systems, also called the Charter Federation, Charter Confederacy, the Charter Alliance, or simply the Charter, is an alliance of star systems in the Milky Way Galaxy in a region close to that of Earth. The Charter has been aware of Earth for centuries and consider it an unofficial protectorate.

Each system in the Charter has its own form of government. Some are various forms of democracies, others monarchies, feudal or constitutional, and one is said to be a military dictatorship, while another is a theocracy. Each system has to be voted in by a 2/3 majority in the Senate. Known species whose worlds are members of the Charter include (but are not limited to) the A'askvarii, Axi-Tun, Dakkamites, Entemen, Glx, Kronans, Krylorians, Kymellians, Lem, Lumina, Myndai, Nanda, Procyonites, Spartax, Xartans, Xeronians, Zenn-Lavians, and several Rigellian colony worlds (who have seceded from the Rigellian Annex; see Rigellians; Appendix: Other Alien Races).

At the center of this complex web is the Confederate Senate, a unicameral assembly of representatives from every system in the Charter. While each system can send as many representatives as they wish, each system counts only as one vote in the Senate. The Senate is chaired by a Chancellor, who acts as the chief-of-state for the Charter as a whole. The Chancellor appoints the heads of various Ministries - such as State, Treasury, Defense, Justice, etc.

While the Charter is the most peaceful of the major powers in the known galaxy, the Charter is by no means truly pacifistic. Each system is required to maintain its own military forces; in addition, the Charter maintains a centralized military for patrolling its borders and intervening when disputes between member systems threaten to erupt into civil war.

It is believed by the Kree and Skrulls that the Charter's fleet intervened in the Skrulls' earliest thwarted invasion of Earth, an invasion that cost Earth the lives of the entire First Line, an intervention publicly denied by the Charter itself (see Kree; Skrulls). This belief stems from statements made by the Charter's current Chancellor about Sol and Alpha Centauri being protectorate systems. An ambassador from the Charter attempted to make contact with Earth not long after the thwarted invasion, but while unsuccessful as a whole was a founding member of the interim team called the Shadowguard as well as managing to open relations between the Charter and Atlantis (see Atlantis). It was later suspected though unconfirmed that Skrull spies in the American and Soviet governments prevented this ambassador from making actual first contact.

More recently, the Chancellor met with Emperor D'ken of the Shi'ar Empire, Emperor Dorrek VIII of the Skrull Empire, and Prime Minister Zarek of the Kree Empire in an interstellar summit, all of whose empires have lair claim to the systems for various reasons (see D'ken; Dorrek VIII; Shi'ar; Zarek). During the summit, the Chancellor reaffirmed Earth's status as a protectorate, warning that any overtly hostile invasion force by any of the Empires would be considered an act of war against the Charter. Unclassified details of the summit were later forwarded to Earth from the Chancellor's office via the Fantastic Four, Earth's de facto ambassadors to the various interstellar nations (see Fantastic Four). How the Charter responds to the pending Kree invasion organized by Col. Yon-Rogg remains to be seen (see Yon-Rogg).

Game Mechanical Details:
The Charter is a TL 11^ interstellar empire possessing the standard space opera superscience technologies: artificial gravity, contragravity lifters, and force screens. Thanks to their Rigellian members they have access to advanced psychotronic tech, including but not limited to telepathic earplugs, psi-blocking earplugs, and advanced universal translator technology. The Charter also has access to advanced biology-based technology that is grown rather than manufactured.

I probably should come up with Boardroom & Curia stats for not only the Charter but the Kree, Skrull, and Shi'ar Empires, not to mention other interstellar polities like the Rigellian Annex and the Universal Church of Truth, but I'm not really sure where to start.

Last edited by Phantasm; 03-21-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men