Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #1421
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I guess what I am saying is... do you really need an excuse to work in at least a token (possibly transforming) scorpion-themed machine of death? Or even a Quirk level fascination with scorpions and/or robotics for extra flavor? Well, if you did, I'd like to think this provids it. XD
I'll think about a ScorpionMech provided by Zarek to Yon-Rogg. It'd be a nice shout-out. (After all, not every Sentry robot by the Kree has to be humanoid, right?) :)

Anyway, I was saying I wasn't sure which came first: Zarek or Zarak. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-03-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #1422
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

INFINITY GEMS

The Infinity Gems are a series of six gems of uncertain origin. Each gem powers and is powered by an aspect of the universe: Mind, Power, Reality, Soul, Space, and Time. Each Gem is said to have near-infinite power for its given focus; when used together, the effects are multiplied exponentially.

The Mind Gem is known to be able to enhance the raw power of any psychic, and even those without psychic power gain similar powers while in possession of the Gem.

The Power Gem is able to enhance a person physically. This generally translates into increased strength and durability, though it is also known to permit other physical enhancements such as breathing underwater and increased agility.

The Reality Gem is able to alter the fabric of reality in the vicinity of its wearer. Generally these alterations are transient, lasting for an undisclosed time after the wielder stops concentrating on the changes, but when combined with the Power Gem the alterations may become permanent.

The Soul Gem is able to separate the mind and soul of a being from their body, which it then stores in a pocket dimension which is reported to be an idyllic paradise. The wielder of the Soul Gem is also able to sense and communicate with any number of disembodied minds and souls.

The Space Gem is able to warp space permitting flight, teleportation, and other movement-based abilities. It also permits greatly enhanced senses.

The Time Gem has granted the power to alter time as well as view events that have happened in the past or future. It is also rumored to be able to reverse time, restoring people to life.

At present, the location of only two Gems are known. The Time Gem is in the possession of the Elder of the Universe known as the Grandmaster, and the Soul Gem is worn by the adventurer Adam Warlock on his forehead.

Game Mechanical Details:
Each Infinity Gem has its own powers. When two Gems are used together, their powers combine greater than the sum of their whole; when all six are used together ... probably best to switch to In Nomine rather than GURPS.

The GM is advised to not let the wielders have or even know of every advantage on the list, in order to keep the Gems playable MacGuffins; leveled advantages can be granted at any level the GM sees fit. A suggested maximum for points granted by an Infinity Gem is no more than two thirds of the campaign's maximum point value. Furthermore, the lists are not fully comprehensive; if an advantage would fit the theme of a Gem but is not listed, the GM is well within his rights to allow it.

Mind Gem: Absolute Timing, Animal Empathy, Combat Reflexes, Compartmentalized Mind, Cultural Adaptability, Daredevil, Discriminatory Hearing, Discriminatory Smell, Discriminatory Taste, Eidetic Memory, Empathy, Enhanced Defenses, Enhanced Time Sense, Gadgeteer, Illuminated, Indomitable, Intuition, Intuitive Mathematician, Language Talent, Lightning Calculator, Mind Control, Mind Probe, Mind Reading, Mind Shield, Mindlink, Modular Abilities (Super-Memorization or Cosmic Power), Photographic Memory, Plant Empathy, Puppet, Rapier Wit, Resistant to Psionics, Sensitive, Single-Minded, Social Chameleon, Speak With Animals, Speak With Plants, Special Rapport, Telecommunication (Telesend), Telekinesis, Ultrasonic Speech, Versatile, Wild Talent.

Power Gem: Ambidexterity, Arm DX, Arm ST, Blessed (Heroic Feats), Claws (Blunt Claws), Clinging, Damage Resistance with Force Field, Doesn't Breathe, Doesn't Eat or Drink, Doesn't Sleep, Double-Jointed, Enhanced Move, Extended Lifespan, Extra Life, Filter Lungs, Fit, Flexibility, G-Experience (All), Hard to Kill, Hard to Subdue, High Pain Threshold, Improved G-Tolerance, Injury Tolernance (Damage Reduction), Less Sleep, Lifting ST, Logevity, Magic Resistance, Mana Damper, Mana Enhancer, Metabolism Control, Neutralize, Perfect Balance, Pressure Support, Protected Sense, Radiation Tolerance, Rapid Healing, Recovery, Reduced Consumption, Regeneration, Resistances, Sealed, Striking ST, Super Climbing, Super Jump, Super ST, Super Throw, Supernatural Durability, Temperature Tolerance, Trained By A Master, Universal Digestion, Unkillable 1 or 2, Vacuum Support, Very Fit, Very Rapid Healing, Weapon Master, Ultrapower.

Reality Gem: Allies with Conjured, Amphibious, Binding w/ Environmental, Chameleon, Claws (any), Danger Sense, Detect, Duplication, Elastic Skin, Growth, Healing, Hermaphromorph, High Manual Dexterity, High Pain Threshold, Improved G-Tolerance, Injury Tolernace (Diffuse, Homogenous, No Blood, No Vitals, Unliving), Insubstantiality, Mimicry, Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) with Physical, Neutralize, Obscure, Permeation, Protected Sense, Static, Regrowth, Shadow Form, Shapeshifting, Shrinking, Slippery, Speak Underwater, Spines, Stretching, Striker, Subsonic Speech, Teeth, Temperature Control, Tunneling, Voice, Ultrapower.

Soul Gem: Animal Empathy, Blessed (Blessed or Very Blessed), Channeling, Daredevil, Empathy, Extra Life, Fearlessness, Higher Purpose, Indomitable, Jumper (World), Medium, Oracle, Plant Empathy, See Invisible, Sensitive, Single-Minded, Speak With Animals, Speak With Plants, Special Rapport, Spirit Empathy, Super Luck, Terror, True Faith, Unfazeable, Unkillable 3, Visualization.

Space Gem: 360° Vision, 3D Spatial Sense, Brachiator, Catfall, Clairsentience, Clinging, Dark Vision, Detect, Enhanced Defenses, Enhanced Move, Enhanced Tracking, Extra Attack, Flight, Gizmos, Hyperspectral Vision, Infravision, Insubstantiality with Projection, Invisibility, Luck, Microscopic Vision, Night Vision, Parabolic Hearing, Payload, Penetrating Vision, Peripheral Vision, Scanning Senses, Sensitive Touch, Silence, Snatcher, Subsonic Hearing, Super Climbing, Super Jump, Super Throw, Telekinesis, Telescopic Vision, Terrain Adaptation, Tunneling, Ultrahearing, Ultravision, Vibration Sense, Walk on Air, Walk on Liquid, Warp.

Time Gem: Absolute Direction, Acute Senses, Altered Time Rate, Chronolocation, Danger Sense, Enhanced Time Sense, Extra Attack, Gunslinger, Jumper (Time), Longevity, Precognition, Psychometry, Racial Memory, Reawakened, Serendipity, Temporal Inertia, Unaging.

I was going to wait to work these up, but then when I was trying to figure out the Grandmaster I came to the realization that a lot of what he does can be pulled off by giving him one of the Gems.

I'm still a bit iffy on putting sensory advantages in the Space Gem, but it seemed like the best place to put them. All I really remember of the Space Gem was Pip the Troll using it to teleport during his tenure on the Infinity Watch....

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #1423
Phantasm

FIREFALL

Identity: Publicly known on Galador; Firefall's existence is known to the galaxy at large, but unknown to the general populace of Earth.
Legal Status: Citizen of Galador with no criminal record.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Galador.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Galadorian Spaceknights, ally of Captain Marvel.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: When his home planet of Galador was threatened by an armada of warships emerging from the Coalsack Nebula, Karas, a minor stage performer, was one of the first to volunteer for the Spaceknight project (see Spaceknights). During the brief war, Karas was injured several times for not heeding his surroundings and putting himself in the line of fire to cover his friends.

Karas was one of the first to call for going out into the galaxy to hunt down the remnants of the armada, even threatening to do so without the blessing of the rest of Galador if he had to. Fortunately for him, the majority of Galador agreed with the sentiment, and Karas went out into the greater galaxy to hunt down the remains of the invading fleet – and to earn fame and glory as a galactic hero, or so he secretly wished.

Most of Karas's exploits since entering the greater galaxy have gone undocumented. At some point in the past, he was given the name "Firefall" due to his command over a flame-like energy he calls the Living Flame.

Firefall met the Kree Captain Mar-Vell at the interstellar freeport known as Port Nowhere when the Captain stopped there while fleeing from his court-martial (see Captain Marvel; Kree; Port Nowhere). He swiftly befriended the Captain, becoming the first recruit in the team Mar-Vell has begun assembling to counter his nemesis, the Kree Colonel Yon-Rogg, who is planning an unauthorized invasion of Earth (see Yon-Rogg).
Height: 7'.
Weight: 800 lbs.
Eyes: Unrevealed.
Hair: Unrevealed, if any.
Other Distinguishing Features: Firefall's body is composed of a gold-colored metal, with spikes on his arms, legs, and shoulders.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: As a Spaceknight, Karas possesses the ability to lift (press) roughly 35 tons.
Known Superhuman Powers: Karas possesses the typical attributes of a Galadorian cyborg Spaceknight: superhuman strength and durability, hyperspectral vision, the ability to tap into local radio communications, the ability to survive in space, and the ability to fly through air and space unaided.

In addition, he possesses what he calls the "Living Flame", which he can use to create walls of fire and to project forward in jets akin to those of a flamethrower. He has admitted that he does not know the full extent of what he can do with the Living Flame, preferring to use only the more rudimentary aspects.

3,110 points
Attributes:
ST 31/170 [0*]; DX 14 [60*]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 14 [20*].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 3d+1/6d-1 (18d/20d); BL 192 lbs. (5,780 lbs/2.9 tons); HP 31 [0]; Will 14 [15]; Per 10 [-5]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 7.25 [0*]; Basic Move 7 [0]; Basic Air Move 14 [0]; Basic Space Move 14 [0]; Dodge 11.
Languages: Galadorian (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Charter Confederacy [1]; Galador [0]; Kree Empire [1]; Shi'ar Empire [1]; Skrull Empire [1].
Advantages: 3D Spatial Sense [10]; Born Spacer 3 [15]; Burning Attack (Fire Wall) 3d×5 (Area Effect (2 yds), +50%; Persistent, +40%; Variable, +5%; Wall: Permeable, +30%; Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [169]; Burning Attack (Flame Jet) 3d×5 (Jet, +0%; Increased Range (×8), +70%; Persistent, +40%; Variable, +5%; Power Cosmic (Tier 5), +0%) [162]; Extra Attack 1 [25]; Fearlessess 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Spaceknight [2,570]; Striker (Cutting; Limb Spikes) [7]; Superior Equilibrioception 3 [15].
Perks: Famous Face [1]; Ignition [1]; Illumination [1]; No Degeneration in Zero-G [1]; Striking Surface [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Hero's) [-10]; Compulsive Self-Sacrificing Behavior (9) [-22]; Impulsiveness (12) [-10]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Selfless (9) [-7].
Quirks: Seeks Fame as a Hero [-1]; Worried He's a Fraud [-1].
Skills: Aerobatics (H) DX+7 [2] – 21†‡§; Carousing (E) HT+0 [1] – 14; Climbing (A) DX+3 [2] – 17‡; Criminology/TL11 (A) IQ-1 [1] – 10; Free Fall (A) DX+8 [2] – 22†‡§; Hiking (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+2 [4] – 16; Judo (H) DX+0 [4] – 14; Karate (H) DX+0 [4] – 14; Law (Interstellar) (H) IQ-1 [2] -10; Lifting (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Literature (H) IQ+1 [8] – 12; Navigation/TL11 (Hyperspace) (A) IQ+2 [2] – 13§; Navigation/TL11 (Space) (A) IQ+5 [2] – 16†§; Performance (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Piloting/TL11 (Aerospace) (A) DX+3 [1] – 17†#; Public Speaking (Storytelling) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Running (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Soldier/TL11 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Spacer/TL11 (E) IQ+3 [1] – 14†; Stage Combat (A) DX-1 [1] – 13; Stealth (A) DX-1 [1] – 13; Streetwise (A) IQ-1 [1] – 10; Throwing (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Wrestling (A) DX+0 [2] – 14.
Starting Spending Money: $10,000 (100% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +10 to ST, +1 to DX, +2 to HT, +0.25 to Basic Speed, and Super ST +11/+150 from Spaceknight racial package.
† Includes +3 from Born Spacer;
‡ Includes +3 from Superior Equilibrioception.
§ Includes +2 from 3D Spatial Sense.
# Includes +1 from 3D Spatial Sense.

Role-Playing Notes:
Karas is often a bit reckless in combat, but is generally a good soul who will work to protect people from oppressors and invaders, asking nothing in return. He will willingly sacrifice himself so that others can live. However, he is secretly afraid that he is a fraud when it comes to being a hero.

Design Notes:
1. Karas's racial High TL (from the Spaceknight racial package) and Starting Wealth are calculated for a TL8 campaign, as would be encountered on Earth. In a more cosmic campaign, the native TL would be TL 11; as such, he would lose the High TL trait, lowering his point value by 15 points, and his Starting Spending Money will increase from $10,000 to $37,500.
2. I was originally asked to use Rom, a more notable Spaceknight, whose own title in the '70s and '80s introduced the Galadorian Spaceknights and their enemies the Dire Wraiths to the Marvel Universe. However, there was some hesitation on my part since Rom himself was a licensed product, based off a 12" action figure of the time, though Marvel owns all the lore and supporting cast from the title (the figure didn't come with anything other than two props: a universal translator the size of an ice chest - it was the transistor era, after all - and a gun called a 'neutralizer'). Marvel was unable to secure a license renewal at one point, and had to cancel Rom's title - and are unable to use Rom himself, even though the last issue of the title returned Rom to 'human' form. So after some digging I decided to use a minor Spaceknight, a friend of Rom's who had died before the title started (Karas's armor was later adopted by a human, who was duped by the Wraiths into fighting Rom).

EDIT: Altered the power modifier from Elemental to the bottom tier of Power Cosmic. Remind me to go back and dial back a few of my other chars who I've used Cosmic power modifiers on to the tiered Cosmic scale. (At least one tier - either Tier 4 or Tier 3 - should be William's proposed "rock-paper-scissors" Cosmic setup....)

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-29-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #1424
Phantasm

It's not dead yet! (Despite real life intruding into my creative juices).

I was going through older entries and came up with a slight change to the Black Cat. Altered a few items, but most notably gave her three levels of Foresight (Getaways). :)

Old 10-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #1425
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
It's not dead yet! (Despite real life intruding into my creative juices).

I was going through older entries and came up with a slight change to the Black Cat. Altered a few items, but most notably gave her three levels of Foresight (Getaways). :)
Where is Foresight from?
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:56 PM   #1426
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Where is Foresight from?
Pyramid #3/53 - Action. It's basically an "I prepared for that!" variant of Serendipity, permitting a player to take retroactive actions provided they don't contradict something already established.

Batman loves this advantage, particularly the Adam West variant. ("That's right, you didn't know I was wearing my special super thermal-B long underwear.") For the Black Cat, it'd be along the lines of, "Oh, by the way, I rigged that fire escape earlier to collapse when someone tries to climb it."

Old 10-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #1427
Flyndaran
Untagged

That sounds like a wonderful way to deal with semi-competent time travelers like Bill And Ted.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #1428
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That sounds like a wonderful way to deal with semi-competent time travelers like Bill And Ted.
"Trash can. Remember a trash can." XD.

Oh, I agree, it's got plenty of uses. Time travelers and crazy-prepared adventurers of all kinds can make excellent use of it. There's a line between it and Gizmos ("I left a getaway car around the corner...."), but in play I don't think it makes much difference.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #1429
quarkstomper

My wacky brother Steeve once played Doc Savage in a CHAMPIONS campaign and we came up with what we called a "Retro-active Smarts Roll" for those instances where, say, Doc produces just the items he needs and mentions that he grabbed them when he was passing by that supply closet earlier because he had a hunch they might come in handy. Gizmos is designed to do this for items, but Steeve wanted to be able to retro-actively put a plan into effect if it was something Doc might have conceivably foreseen.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #1430
Flyndaran
Untagged

Something like it is necessary if a GM wants to play a genius villain but also stay mostly fair. I also came up with genius points that allowed me to retcon an escape plan. If I ran out, then welp, the players outsmarted me/them.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men