Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
starslayer

Default Google docs//spreadsheet//.csv export

I have CGA and I find it really good at allowing me to hone in the exact sort of PC I want, however my online gaming group has largely switched to using google docs for character sheets (which makes sense, we all get to see each others sheets, GM gets to use search functions, etc).

Is there an export filter or character sheet that will provide an output that would be easy to paste into google docs, or some sort of spreadsheet/.csv output? This way I get the best of both worlds, I can keep/update my sheets in the easy to look at google docs spreadsheet format, and I can build my character on my machine in GCA.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Google docs//spreadsheet//.csv export

You mean you want to output the character to a text file? Go to File | Export. You can export "text layout.gce" or "export filter.gce" (or any other export filters anyone might have come up with) as plain text, rich text, simple HTML, dynamic HTML (not sure what the difference is), or XML. You can also export to custom formats, but it just shoves text into the format (e.g., you can create a spreadsheet by exporting as .csv, and it'll enter the text into column A of the sheet line by line).

Export to whichever format you like, the upload to Google Docs.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
You mean you want to output the character to a text file? Go to File | Export. You can export "text layout.gce" or "export filter.gce" (or any other export filters anyone might have come up with) as plain text, rich text, simple HTML, dynamic HTML (not sure what the difference is), or XML. You can also export to custom formats, but it just shoves text into the format (e.g., you can create a spreadsheet by exporting as .csv, and it'll enter the text into column A of the sheet line by line).

Export to whichever format you like, the upload to Google Docs.
No I specifically want to export it to a useful spreadsheet format that won't be an disaster to update or arrange in a viewable form. The existing text output is vaguely human readable but terrible if it's going into a spreadsheet.

Example

Advantage,level,modifiers,final cost
Old 03-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Stormcrow

No one has written such a sheet; you'd have to write one yourself. Unfortunately the elements that go into writing a VBscript character sheet are undocumented, especially the makeup of the Char object that holds all the character data.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Unfortunately the elements that go into writing a VBscript character sheet are undocumented, especially the makeup of the Char object that holds all the character data.
That's not entirely accurate. GCA Character Export (@GCA Wiki)

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
No I specifically want to export it to a useful spreadsheet format that won't be an disaster to update or arrange in a viewable form. The existing text output is vaguely human readable but terrible if it's going into a spreadsheet.

Example

Advantage,level,modifiers,final cost
I'll tell you what. If you look at the output from 'export filter.gce' and tell me how each section should look in your desired CSV file, I'll see if I can't take a little time to customize a new sheet based on it that outputs like you want.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I'll tell you what. If you look at the output from 'export filter.gce' and tell me how each section should look in your desired CSV file, I'll see if I can't take a little time to customize a new sheet based on it that outputs like you want.
Wow! Thanks a lot Armin. I am away for work this week so I will likely get this for the weekend.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards View Post
That's not entirely accurate. GCA Character Export (@GCA Wiki)
Ooh! I didn't know about that!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
starslayer

So sorry, I have not gotten this together yet.

There was a car accident, dealing with it is taking significant time, I have not dropped the desire to have this yet, just need to locate the time. Thank you for your patience.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
So sorry, I have not gotten this together yet.

There was a car accident, dealing with it is taking significant time, I have not dropped the desire to have this yet, just need to locate the time. Thank you for your patience.
It's okay, there's no rush on my end. Sorry about the accident.

Tags
csv, gca, google docs, spreadsheet