Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Not dead yet

Applying https://www.hcobb.com/tft/new_spells.html#Combat gives an excellent chance to inflict fatigue damage on foes. These can then be reduced to negative four ST. If left lying around in this state they will rest up to zero in an hour then on shaky feet fifteen minutes later.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Not dead yet

I use fatigue damage to reflect non-lethal effects. It's the default damage for untrained unarmed combat or BRAWLING.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #3
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Not dead yet

I start out very similarly, but then revamp the consequential death, healing, and unconsciousness rules in some fundamental ways.

Hits damage are tallied as either LETHAL hits or NON-LETHAL hits. These subtotals as well as the combined total of the two have separate effects on unconsciousness and death.

LETHAL hits include anything from cutting or piercing weapons, fire, fireballs, lightening, and poisons. These all heal naturally at the rate for wounds, 1 hit per 2 days, as long as the figure isn't dead.

NON-LETHAL hits include spell fatigue, exhaustion, and most blunt force damage: punches, kicks, club damage, barroom furniture. These all recover naturally at the rate of one per 15 minutes, as long as the figure isn't dead. Importantly, NON-LETHAL hits can never kill anyone, and do not contribute directly to the state of death no matter how many there are.

Unconsciousness occurs any time the total of both LETHAL and NON-LETHAL hits equals or exceeds ST (making net ST 0 or less).

Death only occurs when the number of LETHAL hits equals or exceeds ST.

EXAMPLE A: a ST 10 figure has 5 LETHAL hits and 6 NON-LETHAL hits, for a net ST of -1 (minus 1). It is only unconscious, not dead. If left alone, 2 NON-LETHAL hits will wear off in 30 minutes returning net ST to 1, and the figure will wake up. The remaining NON-LETHAL hits would wear off in an hour, but the 5 LETHAL hits will take 10 days to heal naturally.

EXAMPLE B: a ST 10 figure with 16 NON-LETHAL hits and 1 LETHAL hit is not dead, only unconscious, even though net ST is at -7. Not being dead, everything will begin to recover naturally. 8 NON-LETHAL hits will recover in 2 hours, bringing the figure back to net ST 1 and consciousness. All of which is completely academic if an enemy slits its throat while it's knocked out.

EXAMPLE C: if the ST 10 figure had 1 NON-LETHAL hit and 10 LETHAL hits, it's dead. LETHAL hits has equaled or exceeded ST. No amount of rest will erase the NON-LETHAL hit, because dead is dead.

Now as to my preferred way of healing, all artificial healing (by potions, spells, or medical treatment) converts LETHAL hits to NON-LETHAL hits. If LETHAL hits no longer equals or exceeds ST, the figure has been resuscitated, and natural healing can resume.

If the figure in EXAMPLE C has 2 hits healed by a physicker and another 2 hits healed by potion, it now has 5 NON-LETHAL hits (1+4) and 6 LETHAL hits (10-4). It's net ST of -1 is unchanged, but its LETHAL hits are now less than ST, so it's breathing again, and the NON-LETHAL hits will begin to wear off. In 15 minutes net ST is back to 0 (still unconscious) and in another15 minutes net ST is back to 1 and the figure wakes up. No doubt feeling rotten, but that's better than being dead half an hour ago. His friends can tell him he stopped breathing, and he owes them all a drink.

My current thought is that any artificial healing that reduces LETHAL hits enough to bring back a dead figure must be accomplished in 5 minutes, but I may reconsider that one day.