Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
TJA

Default About GURPS :)

Just found that :)

http://stuffgeekslove.wordpress.com/...s-and-dragons/

Quote:
The other major competitor against D&D is GURPS, which is a generic system. In theory this means that you can use the same rules to play a game about spies, space marines, Elizabethan nobility, cavemen, or sentient bees, thus putting no limits whatsoever on your gaming. The truth, however, is that even GURPS players hate the rules for GURPS and the sourcebooks for all these different possibilities offer little more than, “If you’re going to play as sentient bees, don’t forget to have beehives!” because it’s worth forty dollars to have a hardback book tell you that (not that anyone who buys any of the sourcebooks ever plays those settings anyway).
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: About GURPS :)

Wow. I so rarely comment on people's blogs, but there's so much that's just not right there (and one of the commenters claims there that Space doesn't cover planets or Fantasy, magic!), I just had to say something.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Wow. I so rarely comment on people's blogs, but there's so much that's just not right there (and one of the commenters claims there that Space doesn't cover planets or Fantasy, magic!), I just had to say something.
That...doesn't strike me as a place that's actually interested in being right about the subject.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That...doesn't strike me as a place that's actually interested in being right about the subject.
Yes, yes, I know but I can't help but stand up for GURPS.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Jeffr0

That was actually quite an amusing post.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
PseudoFenton

I think the author rolled himself up as a troll.
Judging from the other posts (btw the blog is dead and has been for years) they like the make sweeping generalisations and assume their perspective of any given topic is right even though they've clearly not looking into it very much.

Altogether very similar to how I just reviewed their blog... hey I never said I wasn't a hypocrite!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
I think the author rolled himself up as a troll.
Judging from the other posts (btw the blog is dead and has been for years) they like the make sweeping generalisations and assume their perspective of any given topic is right even though they've clearly not looking into it very much.

Altogether very similar to how I just reviewed their blog... hey I never said I wasn't a hypocrite!
Every entry is bitching about geeks. It's pure trolling, probably based on the observation that geeks can't help but react.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Every entry is bitching about geeks. It's pure trolling, probably based on the observation that geeks can't help but react.
And behold it worked on me. At least my response was reasonable and not crazy.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
tg_ambro

I thought the post was pretty funny. I mean, obvious troll is obvious, but still, it was worth a chuckle.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
ClayDowling

Troll post is obvious. And hilarious. I loved it. It's honestly pretty accurate. Can anybody here claim that they've played every single supplement that they own? I have a nice selection that I purchased strictly for the reading value.