Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
arnej

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack83
Many threads discuss a few perks here and there for their specific character. I want to get a list going of Perks characters have used and GM's allowed in thier games.
7) Can always find a beautiful woman

When I was making up a fantasy A-Team, Templeton Peck (aka the Faceman) was graced with this perk. It never failed - they would go wading in some Southern swamp, and he'd come out with some buxom young thing on his arm...

a
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
t@nya

8) Fortune

Due to your incredible luck, you don't have to go job hunting. Instead your luck enables you to earn an average wage (at your level of Wealth), as long as you spend the same time hunting up lucky "opportunities" as you would spend in a "normal job". You gain your money from returning lost property to its owner (pets, jewellery, etc), pawning valuable items lost by others, recycling cans, from money lost on the street, from finding an unclaimed lottery ticket, etc, etc. This works no matter what type of world/universe you find yourself in, and enables you to survive even if you would otherwise be unable to find a job due to lack of identification and/or documentation of your employment history.

Last edited by t@nya; 06-11-2008 at 10:33 AM.
t@nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg

I guess Gurps Power Ups: Perks will find a warm welcome
I hope so! Nearly every perk I've seen proposed here exists in that item. My perks are of course mine, usually from 2004, named the way I wanted to name them, etc., but the basic ideas are similar.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
khorboth

9) Can always score weed

As long as there is any reasonable human presence, the character can quickly and easily find someone willing to sell him marijuana with no fear of being caught by the authorities.

A buddy of mine came up with this one for his Olympic snowboarder. He used it at a research base in Antarctica and again on a U.S. aircraft carrier.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
t@nya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I hope so! Nearly every perk I've seen proposed here exists in that item. My perks are of course mine, usually from 2004, named the way I wanted to name them, etc., but the basic ideas are similar.
Including mine?
t@nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
younglorax

10) Followed by flying insects
If there are flying bugs in a place, they're likely to follow you. If a restaurant is usually a clean place and free of flies, they won't follow you into the restaurant, and you aren't more likely to get stung than anyone else in the area.

It was very slightly useful for the animal-mage character I played that had it. Occasionally it was handy to possess one for espionage purposes, and once it gave a clue to the fact that there was no life at all in the area.
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
abatishko

If I can expand slightly and list my favorite custom quirk... One of the characters in my low level supers game (the tank) has the quirk "Always loses his shirt in combat". ripped off, burned up, taken off to use for first aid, shot to tatters, etc.
abatishko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
younglorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by abatishko
If I can expand slightly and list my favorite custom quirk... One of the characters in my low level supers game (the tank) has the quirk "Always loses his shirt in combat". ripped off, burned up, taken off to use for first aid, shot to tatters, etc.
That one's great!
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #19
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack83
Wouldn't that still be a limited advantage? Still seems pretty beneficial combat wise since you have a more powerful weapon. Just would have a lot of limitations on it. Nonetheless if limited enough could prove to be a nice perk
Its a very weak legal enforcement powers (say legal enforcement powers 5pts -80% carry/own a gun only) thing and its highly setting specific

FREX in Modern UK it might be Shotgun Certificate or Rifle Certificate but there is no carry law --

In the Modern US it might be Concealed Carry Permit (for say California) Gun Owners Card (for Illinois ) or Title 2 Weapons License (anywhere allowed) but in must issue states its just a setting feature -- I'd charge 2 points (2 separate quirks) in some states (FREX NYC Handgun Permit 1pt carry permit 1pt)

Ina few areas it might even be worth 5 points IIRC one of the Icelanders here has a gun carry permit in Iceland as a bodyguard/PI -- thats a minor legal enforcement power I'd say
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
ham2anv

One of my players took the "Action Soundtrack" perk. Specifically, his soundtrack is derived from the works of the band Anthrax.

Tags
house rules, perks