Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #11
Rasputin

Default Re: A list of all the DF monsters in Pyramid and elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Do you have all the page references for DFRPG and DF?

Having both would be useful.
Yep. Frex, my list has the Acid Spider as DF16 for the boxed set and DF2-21 for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
If I add columns to it, what should I add? What can I add without infringing on Steve Jackson Games’s intellectual property? Monster class is obvious; I have that in my spreadsheet since it’s part of the algorithms I’m using to assign other stats. (I also have creature SM and IQ for the same reason.) For the ones that are non mere racial templates, I have the grappling “damage” in control points and the Control Maxima.
The CER rating? I have a large number of CERs already calculated, I'd love if more were crowdsourced. This is more DF than DFRPG, though.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #13
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The CER rating? I have a large number of CERs already calculated, I'd love if more were crowdsourced. This is more DF than DFRPG, though.
That was on my mind, and there are many that need calculations. This sounds like a Project. (And tables of specials for your generator would be another.)

The control points and CM is another option. I have those calculated unless it’s a mere racial template, which doesn’t permit this.

I’ve been thinking about adding SM, but also the number of hexes a creature takes up, and the effective SM for height purposes.

My GURPS blog.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
The control points and CM is another option. I have those calculated unless it’s a mere racial template, which doesn’t permit this.

I’ve been thinking about adding SM, but also the number of hexes a creature takes up, and the effective SM for height purposes.
I would find both of these options useful. Also, definitely the monster class. Possibly a Y/N for truly evil? Willing to negotiate?

I haven't used CER much myself, but I do know that beginning DFRPG GMs often have trouble figuring out how tough monsters are. I wonder how hard it would be to separate monsters into simple challenge bands? Like, easy, medium, hard? I don't know. Even that might be a major headache. And, obviously, it partly depends on the PCs and decisions by the GM (tactical options, number of foes, ability to retreat, etc.).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I wonder how hard it would be to separate monsters into simple challenge bands?
I'm not sure 'challenge bands' would be useful, but simple descriptors like, "Hard Hitting", "Heavy Armored", "Multiple Attacks", "Tricky To Use", etc might be useful.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I'm not sure 'challenge bands' would be useful, but simple descriptors like, "Hard Hitting", "Heavy Armored", "Multiple Attacks", "Tricky To Use", etc might be useful.
Problem is, that’s relative to the numbered encountered, the number in the group, and points in combat-related traits. I’m not wildly enthusiastic about CER, but it’s the least bad option under those circumstances, as there’s some level of acceptance.

My GURPS blog.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #17
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And "needs a spell list". Saddest fight I've ever had in DOA was 3 liches without spells.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #18
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
And "needs a spell list". Saddest fight I've ever had in DOA was 3 liches without spells.
That's a beef with GURPS/DFRPG material in general. There needs to be some support for GMs making powerful NPCs as they typically have lots of moving parts.

So, here's what I see so far:
  • Class. Actually pretty easy as I already have it.
  • CER. This is three columns, as it also needs OR and PR.
  • Grappling, both damage and CM
  • How much space a monster uses: SM, height SM, and hexes. This might be helpful to Emily and Kyle and their generator. I already have main SM.
  • A small space for common notes. Basically "Truly Evil" and "Unwilling to Negotiate," but allowing for quick things like "Needs spells."

I suppose I should start looking at assigning habitats according to Survival specialties.

My GURPS blog.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:22 AM   #19
zuljita

You may be pleased to discover that I am bugging Dripton to modify his old DF random program to create random spell lists. I'm also trying to get him to modify it more so that it will output usable NPCs of varying strengths.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #20
lachimba

How about making the list sortable by each column. That way I could see all the Monsters in each book.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg, monsters, pages, threads