Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
Toaster

Default ST affects on Melee Weapons

Hey folks,

If you could help me out with a bit of clarity here I would enjoy it.
In general using your fists or basic Melee weapons, a Higher ST is preferable.

You increase your SW & THR and the weapon uses it and may even add a bit extra.

But some weapons for example a Force Sword lists damage as a value: [8d]
does this mean my 6yr old cripple niece can inflict identical damage as Conan the Barbarian with this weapon or is it actually [sw+8d] ?
Further in a supers game there are various was of temporary boosts to ST for damage, DR:Absorb or Power Blow.

In this case would there be a change to the attack?
I am working on a build converting the Comic character 'Groo the Wanderer' into a 400pt Super 'Groo the Jedi' I won't get into trying to use TK with an IQ7, but I was really hoping to be able to pair Power Blow with the Force Sword. If not the sword, would anyone argue stacking Power Blow + Telekinesis [Push]?
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:56 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: ST affects on Melee Weapons

Force swords don't care about your ST at all, as far as damage goes. When it comes to a parry, however, Conan is going to just push the cripple's lightsaber into her own skull.

If you really want to boost the killing power of your force sword, Imbue can help you.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Varyon

Here's a discussion. The takehome is that you need a Perk, but once you've got that Power Blow gives x2 or x3 damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
When it comes to a parry, however, Conan is going to just push the cripple's lightsaber into her own skull.
While this is realistic (at least, as realistic as a lightsaber can get), I don't think there are any rules allowing for this. Of course, Conan can leverage his exceptional ST to Beat his foe's weapon aside and then strike.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
While this is realistic (at least, as realistic as a lightsaber can get), I don't think there are any rules allowing for this. Of course, Conan can leverage his exceptional ST to Beat his foe's weapon aside and then strike.
Technical Grappling, "Don't Shoot Yourself." You grapple his weapon (with your weapon, even), then attack him with it. He can make a Dodge, Parry, or half-ST parry to avoid it. Both sides can and will burn Control Points to force the issue.

But there are rules available. GURPS has options for everything.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Technical Grappling, "Don't Shoot Yourself." You grapple his weapon (with your weapon, even), then attack him with it. He can make a Dodge, Parry, or half-ST parry to avoid it. Both sides can and will burn Control Points to force the issue.

Point. I was thinking more along the lines of his ST batting the weapon aside, but doing an Armed Grapple against the foe's weapon and forcing it into them would be nasty.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post

I've read TG, but I wasn't 100% sure about what was and wasn't possible with armed grappling. Are you saying, assuming everything I do works and nothing my opponent tries does, I could AoA (double) to grapple my opponent's longsword with my longsword, and then hit them with it? That's cool as hell.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Point. I was thinking more along the lines of his ST batting the weapon aside, but doing an Armed Grapple against the foe's weapon and forcing it into them would be nasty.
Note there are few weapon other than another Force Sword the could surve attempting this manurer.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
I've read TG, but I wasn't 100% sure about what was and wasn't possible with armed grappling. Are you saying, assuming everything I do works and nothing my opponent tries does, I could AoA (double) to grapple my opponent's longsword with my longsword, and then hit them with it? That's cool as hell.
You might break his sword, if nothing else. But sure, you could try!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Toaster

Ok, thank you for the information.
I have read all of
this and this, I like the idea of a re-write from [8d] to [sw+7d] for simplicity.
I am going to present this to my GM and get a ruling.

Thanks again you are a great resource.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Yep. Realistically, it might be appropriate to have you do damage based on the CP you've inflicted on the foe's weapon*, and depending on the way you've grappled it probably use Thrust instead of Swing damage, but of course none of that matters with a Force Sword.

*That is, if you've got a 10 CP grapple on their weapon, you'd do damage as an ST 10 character. If they've also got 10 CP on the weapon from gripping it, you're instead doing damage as though you had ST 5, and are suffering a -5 to the attack roll to boot. It's probably typically easier to just use your actual ST, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Note there are few weapon other than another Force Sword the could surve attempting this manurer.
Obviously. Destructive Parry is a nasty modifier.

Tags
force sword, power blow