Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #21
transmetahuman

Default Re: Weird Power Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
The GM liked the Reliable, made it possible for the character to banish powerful demons (which was part of the character's power), even though sometimes it's a close struggle. As I've said before I think that +5% is a bit skimpy on the cost for increasing the, um, reliability of the attack, but the GM said it was fine.
Going off-topic here, but in a private message, Kromm has ruled on that whole thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
Quick question that's been bugging me since 4e came out: If an attack like Affliction has the Malediction enhancement, can it benefit from Reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Nope. That would utterly defeat the purpose of buying more than one level of Affliction. Affliction with Malediction gives a Quick Contest of Will vs. HT. The victim's HT is normally at a penalty equal to Affliction level - 1. If Reliable added to the attacker's Will, it would accomplish the same thing for far fewer points and be a cheap end run. As noted for Reliable, it isn't applicable to attacks. This includes Affliction.
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

I figured it wasn't *quite* as good as reducing the target's resistance roll (Rule of 16 and all), and the wording "this works exactly like Talent" under Reliable (in Powers) made it unclear, since I assumed Talent does add to your Will roll for Maledictions. Also, attacks are referred to Accurate, which isn't really appropriate for Maledictions, which leaves Maledictions as the only ability with an activation roll that you can't raise. I'm not suprised by your answer, I figured as much, but I was suprised it wasn't clarified in Powers. Word count, I'm sure.

I don't mean to abuse the privilege of PMing you for clarifications, but your answer leads to more questions. I'll keep it brief.

Which, if any, of these three ways to increase your activation roll work with Maledictions (non-Afflictions like Innate Attack or Binding, as well as Afflictions).

Afflict. + Maled. + Talent:

Afflict. + Maled. + Reliable: you already said No.

Afflict. + Maled. + "Skills For Everyone":

InnAtt + Maled. + Talent:

InnAtt + Maled. + Reliable:

InnAtt + Maled. + "Skills For Everyone":

Much thanks for your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Afflict. + Maled. + Talent: Y.
Afflict. + Maled. + Reliable: N.
Afflict. + Maled. + "Skills For Everyone": Y.
InnAtt + Maled. + Talent: Y.
InnAtt + Maled. + Reliable: N.
InnAtt + Maled. + "Skills For Everyone": Y.

That's why "Requires skill roll" or whatever isn't a limitation at all, and why the GM is supposed to keep a beady eye on what abilities go into a power with Talent. Reliable is forbidden mainly because it's just way, way, too cheap, even with GM control.
Not saying you need to show this to your GM. ;) I've just been meaning to share this with the board, and this seemed an appropriate time.

Last edited by transmetahuman; 04-11-2006 at 01:24 PM.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #22
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Going off-topic here, but in a private message, Kromm has ruled on that whole thing:
No, that's fine. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Not saying you need to show this to your GM. ;) I've just been meaning to share this with the board, and this seemed an appropriate time.
Actually, I will show it to my GM. However, it does bring up the whole, I just spent 61 pts for a power, and it costs me 122 pts to get it at +1? That's nasty expensive. That's Hero expensive.

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 04-11-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Had to make a minor change.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #23
naloth

Quote:
Actually, I will show it to my GM. However, it does bring up the whole, I just spent 61 pts for a power, and it costs me 122 pts to get it at +1? That's nasty expensive. That's Hero expensive.
No. It costs 61 per minus 1. Will and talent both add to the roll (typically +5/lvl), but hit the "rule of 16".
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #24
transmetahuman

Quote:
No, that's fine. Thanks for the info.

That's one reason I like the Skills for Everyone rules. It sounds like your GM would give you an exception for this use, or at least let you use the Skills for Everyone stuff so +1 only costs you 4 points.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #25
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
No. It costs 61 per minus 1. Will and talent both add to the roll (typically +5/lvl), but hit the "rule of 16".
Well, okay, yeah. The rule of 16 was precisely what I was always going for. I would rather have a 50/50 chance as opposed to the baddies always having a better roll (at least, I assume Demons will have a phenomenal HT and/or Will).
I'll probably whack the GM and just take a "Banishment" Skill.

Banishment (Affliction; 56 pts)
-Malediction 3 (+200%)
-Banishment (+300%)
-Magical (-10%)
-Accessability: Demons Only (-30%)

Skill (Banishment, Will/H) 12 pts, Will +2 (that'll give the character a 16 in it; they have a Will of 14).
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uncontrollable