Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
ShadowCharlatan

Default Life is Strange time powers

What would the best write-up be for the time control powers of Max from the Life is Strange game ?
ShadowCharlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: Life is Strange time powers

Temporal Inertia and Jumper.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Her ability is rather godlike. As long as she survives, she can dictate all her actions with absolute understanding of effect. Her only limitation seems to be GM inflicted fate aka rail roading.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Her ability is rather godlike. As long as she survives, she can dictate all her actions with absolute understanding of effect. Her only limitation seems to be GM inflicted fate aka rail roading.
I think it would be more accurate to say that the GM decided to add a Big Dramatic Choice at the end . . . but adding the originally-planned choice after all the non-raily choices that happened throughout before ruined said choices in retrospect. Because 'add to teh drama' is a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 AM   #5
GodBeastX

I just watched a video of her turning back time. That's why I posted that. If there was more to it, I don't know, I didn't play the game.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:14 AM   #6
MechaMage

I think the best way to represent the gist of her powers might be Super Luck, with enhancements to make it retroactive. Many levels will be necessary, since she can use this many times in a row, so this will be very, very expensive: which is appropriate for the ability to influence fate on the regular. The only thing stopping Max from being godlike with her powers is cutscene incompetence and the whims of the plot.

Except the way her powers work is...confusing. She retains inventory, and she also stays in the location she moved to. It's unclear if the first is part of her powers or just a gameplay abstraction, but on occasions she uses her powers to break into somewhere noisily, then rewind to before that occurred, essentially teleporting from one side of a door to the other from the perspective of those around her. Jumper (Time) might actually be a better fit, as loathe as I am to involve the messy intricacies of changing time in campaigns.

Spoilers follow:
Spoiler:  

For me, I'd go with high amounts of modified Super Luck or Visualisation, plus Precognition. I'd ignore her ability to retain inventory, or any of the other applications of her powers. When writing up main characters, it's better to replicate the spirit of the character rather than the exact version - their powers can be very messy, or cost infinite amounts of points, or worse.
MechaMage is offline   Reply With Quote