Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Weird Power Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
Jumper shouldn't have Acc (Demons). That belongs on the Afflication since you're giving the advantage to them. You can't take "only affects people like me" for points back on an advantage.
You're right. The original reason that the Jumper had it (and not the affliction) was that the power could be used on someone who had been possessed, sending the Demon away, but leaving them.

Quote:
Likewise, Unconsious and Uncontrollable would affect your ability to trigger it since you're in control of the advantage even though it's on another person.
That's arguable, but I think your right. However, as MrTim points out, what I want it for should make it an enhancement, not a limitation. Arguably, I think I should probably make it an "Always On" enhancement.

Quote:
Magic (-10%) seems like double dipping.
The Jumper is also magic. The affliction is magic, and it puts a magic power on the victim. If Jumper doesn't have "Magic" it isn't a magical ability (it's wild). I'd be happy to be shown that I'm wrong on that.

Quote:
Jumper typically isn't a duration power (the obvious exception being projection to another plane leaving your body behind) so you don't need to extend the duration. He's home until he's able to portal back (be summoned?) again. The only reason I would include duration as a minimum amount of time the target needs to spend in that place.
That is precisely why it has an extended duration. The demon is trapped in his native dimension for one-year (I called it permanent, because a year is comfortably longer than any reasonable combat should last). Any attempts to leave (until the year has passed or the "curse" has been removed) tosses him back to where he's from. It's built-in expiration is one-year, but I figure there are more powerful demons that could do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
Persistent is only legal for area effect attacks; it's not really appropriate (nor, once I figured out what you were doing, necessary imo).
(I keep forgetting that Persistent is only for AOEs.) I disagree that it's not appropriate. It may not be appropriate by the letter of the rule, but, I think it is appropriate in the general spirit of what Persistent represents. I could see putting Persistent on a Force Field Affliction (granting someone some DR) or on a Regeneration Affliction. Especially if these powers are mechanical in origin, or if they're part of an Alternate Ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
The Accessibility really needs to be on the Affliction, not the Jumper - same with Magical. You can't use thhat twice. You do want *both* Unconscious Only and Uncontrollable, though, so that saves you points.
I disagree. I could have a cybernetic device that afflicts a biological advantage on someone. By not putting the limitation on Jumper, means it's not a magical ability anymore. But, again, I could be wrong, and if so, I would love to see where it says that (means I missed it and have some apologies to make).
Mark Skarr is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
uncontrollable