Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Cheomesh

Default Altered Necromancy Tree?

Because during down times at work I have nothing better to do - has anyone made an alternate tree for Necromancy spells? My Necro-player was wanting a missile spell, so I started to alter Fireball. Then I started thinking about some kind of ranted wither variant, and wondered if anyone else has given more/variant offensive capabilities based around Necromancy / Necurgy? I figure the ability to raise (effectively) infinite minions was enough, but you never know.

Mainly I think he was interested in ranged "death flavored" spells

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Altered Necromancy Tree?

You might consider the Diablo II Necromancer as inspiration. In particular he's got a rapid fire attack that shoots teeth. Which in GURPS would be pretty interesting because no other missile spell uses Rapid Fire.

Teeth; Missile
You can summon a large number of sharp teeth into your hand and rapidly shoot them at your foes. They have 1/2 D 40 Max 80 Acc 3.
Cost: Any amount up to your Magery per second for three seconds. The missile does 1d-2 pi- with a RoF equal to twice the energy spent.*
Time to Cast: 1 to 3 seconds.
Prerequisite: Zombie Summoning

*Actually, that's probably too low. How about "Five times the energy spent" or even "The energy spent squared".

EDIT: Thinking about it I think 5 is about right. It gives a nominal (assuming Magery 3) RoF of 5-45.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 04-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
malloyd

Death doesn't seem like the kind of theme that supports missiles. *Ranged* versions of things like Death Vision or Wither make perfectly good sense, but *missile* versions just seem odd.

I suppose bone ones (on the model of Stone Missile or Ice Dagger) could work for the more fantasy/undead themed style of necromancy.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Death doesn't seem like the kind of theme that supports missiles.
Exploding skulls (especially laughing ones) fit quite well I think. Flavoured in both flaming and deathly cold variants for maximum flexibility.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
EDIT: Thinking about it I think 5 is about right. It gives a nominal (assuming Magery 3) RoF of 5-45.
Considering that as you reach higher RoF, the bonus plateaus at +1 to-hit per x2 RoF, it might be fair to start at RoF 5 and double it per +1 energy. If that seems too high it could instead follow the progression of the Speed/Range table (ie 5, 7, 10, 15, 20...)
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

In our current game the GM put a lich that was very good in bone missile spells, he had a particularly nasty bone spear that pierced the fighters shield (in a block)

I also thought about combining body control with necromancy more often than not ... deathtouch just screams necromancy =p
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
I also thought about combining body control with necromancy more often than not ... deathtouch just screams necromancy =p
Especially when delivered through a bone whip enchanted with a variant Staff spell. ^_^
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Flameman

In our group we made a Deathcloud type spell, dealing constant damage over an area that ignores armout but is resisted by HT (Each turn).

And we had somthing called a death bal woch was basicly a modified fireball.
Flameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
Exploding skulls (especially laughing ones) fit quite well I think. Flavoured in both flaming and deathly cold variants for maximum flexibility.
Exploding Skull; Regular
Summons a Ghostly Assassin that explodes on contact with the target. It has the same stats as a Skull Spirit, except that instead of the Toxic Attack, it has Burning Attack 6dx2 (Damage Modifier: Explosive +50%, Melee Reach C -30%, Cannot Parry-5%, Backlash: Heart Attack -300%, One Use x1/5) [3], this reduces the overall cost of the template by 9 points. Requires the skull of a sapient creature, which is destroyed in the casting.
Duration: The spirit lasts for 24 hours unless destroyed first.
Cost: 20
Prerequisites: Skull Spirit and three Fire Spells.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Cheomesh

D10, sir_pudding: Ah, good ideas - I'd forgotten all about that guy the other night. Might be the best bet, a bone-themed missile of some kind. Ranged versons of a few spells also be good. Some Body Control stuff certainly has a place.

In general, from what I can think of off hand (not having used spells much) there really aren't many missiles in the whole set up (barring Magic, which I don't really know in full). Surprised Magic Missile in some iteration hasn't shown up! Or even just a "blast" attack.

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote