Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #11
Hannes665

Default Re: Got Talent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Just wondering if this custom talent of mine is unbalancing:

Born Swordsman: Broadsword, Force Sword, Rapier, Saber, Shortsword, Smallsword, Two-Handed Sword. Reaction Bonus: Other swordsmen and sword-fighting affectionados. 10 points per level.

My reasoning behind this is that it is theoretically possible for someone to be a "natural" at swordfighting above and beyond what their overall DX would indicate. I priced it at 10/level because of the fact that it contains only combat skills, while wavering on the border between the 5/level and 10/level categories, consisting of 7 skills; I decided to err on the side of caution. (This talent was inspired by Errol Flynn, The Princess Bride, and the various Star Wars lightsaber duels, among other sources.)

Unlike the Halfling Ranged Weapon Talent, it is not limited to one racial package from one world setting (i.e. Banestorm Halflings).
In a low Tech (or any Tech setting without the Force Sword) the Talent should only cost 5 points.

I dont see any problems with Weapon Talents, why they should be any more "un-balacing" then other Talents?

PS: Still with fever of 102-103.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665
In a low Tech (or any Tech setting without the Force Sword) the Talent should only cost 5 points.

I dont see any problems with Weapon Talents, why they should be any more "un-balacing" then other Talents?

PS: Still with fever of 102-103.
Merely 38°C here, but the doc says they'll need to make a very very minor surgery on my throat to get the bad stuff out. Swallowing is awful - I wake up every 1-3 hours during nights because of it.

Anyway, Weapon Talents are about as scary as Medical Talents, Sneaky Talents, the Tough Guy Talent etc. I.e. as scary as any other talent for high-importance and frequent-use skills.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #13
Anders

Quote:

How many rolls do you normally make during a combat? I've been thinking about combat talent - they're probably realistic, and to make them more balanced you could either double the cost (making them comparable to e.g. Weapon Master and Trained by a Master) or a flat +5/level.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
Harald387

Dungeon Fantasy includes the following:

Forest Guardian: Prerequisite: Elf. Includes Bow, Fast-Draw (Arrow), Stealth, Camouflage, and Survival (Woodland). Reaction bonus applies to Druids, faeries, and bunnies. [5 pts/level]

Pickaxe Penchant: Prerequisite: Dwarf. Includes Axe/Mace, Prospecting, Forced Entry, Two-Handed Axe/Mace, and Throw Weapon (Axe/Mace). Reaction bonus applies to miners. [5 pts/level]

Elder Gift: Prerequisite: Dark One or Elder Spawn. Includes Alchemy, Hidden Lore (all specialties), Occultism, and Thaumatology. Reaction bonus applies to Elder Things - lucky you. [5 pts/level]
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #15
Hannes665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
How many rolls do you normally make during a combat? I've been thinking about combat talent - they're probably realistic, and to make them more balanced you could either double the cost (making them comparable to e.g. Weapon Master and Trained by a Master) or a flat +5/level.
I as a GM roll allot of rolls during combat! :O

I use almost full Combat options. In a 1 second Combat Turn between 2 characters I would think that both roll between 2 to 3 rolls.

It would depend on the Talent. Like the -
Sword master Talent. All swords. Broadsword, Saber, Rapier, Shortsword, Two Handed Sword - 5 points per level.

You could add Knife, Main Gauche and Force Sword raising the cost to 10 pts per level.

Then there are the multiple sub-skill skills like Throwing. Should we charge them as a 1 skill?

Steady Eye Talent. Muscle powered missile weapons. Bow, Bolas, Crossbow, Throwing Weapon, Spear Thrower and Lasso.

Should this cost 5 pts per level or 10 pts per level, since Throwing Weapon would include, Axe, Knife, Spear, Throwing Stars and so on?

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"

Last edited by Hannes665; 12-03-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #16
chris1982

Quote:
Sword master Talent. ...
This is too cheap for me for 5 points.

I wouldn't have any problems with Talent for all melee weapons for 10 points or all muscle powered weapons for 15 points...
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
;p I feel an "anti-Talent" rant coming on...

heh
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #18
giganerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1982
This is too cheap for me for 5 points.
Less than 6 skills costs 5/level.
7 to 12 costs 10/level
13+ costs 15/level
Old 12-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #19
jacobmuller

A listing of all official Talents - I love it.

Except I just spent a couple of days editing the list of unofficial talents (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=3127) for my own use. I'd got the idea into my head that a talent was "a set of closely related skills" but not a Job Description/ Career Template.

I'm surprised at how many of the official talents are the kind of thing I dumped... and I still ended up with 42!

Last edited by jacobmuller; 12-03-2008 at 07:48 AM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #20
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganerds
Less than 6 skills costs 5/level.
7 to 12 costs 10/level
13+ costs 15/level
Yeah, that are the basic rules. I know. But they don't prohibit people from thinking (I hope).

Still its unbalanced for waepon skills so high that every 1 skill rise is another 4 points burnt.

That means you raise your highest skill for 1 point more but for this one point you get 4 other skill increases. So all your backup weapons also rule for 1 point. This is sooo munchkin sorry.
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
talents