Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default [High-Tech] Early Light-Anti-Tank weapons

The M1A1 Bazooka and the Panzerfaust 30 in High-tech both have Acc 0. This means you don't get any bonus to hit if you aim, even if you do so for multiple seconds. This seems a bit surprising: neither is a terribly precise weapon AFAIK, but they're fairly sizable and have sights: Acc 1 would be the same as a very small handgun.

G:WWII gives them Acc 9 and 4 respectively. Those are 3e figures, in the same ballpark as a carbine and a pistol.

I'm not sure if this is errata, a different view or better research. Any ideas?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [High-Tech] Early Light-Anti-Tank weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The M1A1 Bazooka and the Panzerfaust 30 in High-tech both have Acc 0. This means you don't get any bonus to hit if you aim, even if you do so for multiple seconds. This seems a bit surprising: neither is a terribly precise weapon AFAIK, but they're fairly sizable and have sights: Acc 1 would be the same as a very small handgun.

G:WWII gives them Acc 9 and 4 respectively. Those are 3e figures, in the same ballpark as a carbine and a pistol.

I'm not sure if this is errata, a different view or better research. Any ideas?
These primitive rockets probably have much less predictable trajectories than any firearm. Even for a poorly made, low velocity gun you're going to get a sheath of curved flight paths within a certain predictable dispersal.

Even later RPGs with fewer bugs like an RPG-7 have only half the velocity of a handgun bullet and tend to corkscrew naturally. Some while simply appear to turn in a random direction for no apparent reason. Others will hit the ground too soon or fly well over the target.

These weapons are good enough to use in combat at very limited ranges but he percentage of misses is quite a bit higher and the distance (or even direction) missed by is much, much higher.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
The M1A1 Bazooka and the Panzerfaust 30 in High-tech both have Acc 0. This means you don't get any bonus to hit if you aim, even if you do so for multiple seconds.
Where do you get that? I don't see anything that precludes getting the bonuses for extended aiming. It's also possible to get an Acc bonus for bracing, though you can't get it as easily as with a pistol or even a rifle.
Quote:
This seems a bit surprising: neither is a terribly precise weapon AFAIK, but they're fairly sizable and have sights: Acc 1 would be the same as a very small handgun.
There are actually a considerable number of Acc 0 handguns in High Tech and associated materials.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Where do you get that? I don't see anything that precludes getting the bonuses for extended aiming. It's also possible to get an Acc bonus for bracing, though you can't get it as easily as with a pistol or even a rifle.
See Basic set, p372, emphasis mine:
Quote:
When you Aim, you can receive
other bonuses for extra seconds of
aim, bracing your weapon, or using a
scope or a laser sight. These benefits
are discussed under Aim (p. 364) and
summarized under Ranged Combat
Modifiers (p. 548). The sum of Acc and
all extra aimed-fire bonuses can never
exceed twice the base Acc of the
attack.
Twice zero is zero.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
See Basic set, p372, emphasis mine:

Twice zero is zero.
Yeah, that looks solid.

I don't know that I'd expect those weapons to deserve better than zero Acc, but an absolute disincentive to make any kind of effort at aiming seems unlikely to be appropriate. (I'm pretty sure the Panzerfaust could require substantial elevation to reach targets within its expected range, for instance.)
Old 01-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
weby

I find the acc values in HT very low for the LAWs. I do not have actual experience with bazookas or panzerfeusts but having fired the M72 with acc 1 by using the default from pistol skill it felt more like a acc 2(or perhaps 3) weapon.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Yeah, that looks solid.

I don't know that I'd expect those weapons to deserve better than zero Acc, but an absolute disincentive to make any kind of effort at aiming seems unlikely to be appropriate. (I'm pretty sure the Panzerfaust could require substantial elevation to reach targets within its expected range, for instance.)
You can always go with a non-levelled Rules Exemption Perk, takeable for each different Acc 0 weapon, that allows the first +1 bonus for aiming.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
Skarg

To accurately model such rockets, I would suggest giving them some positive Acc but then also adding a maximum total to-hit value (like the way a Wild Swing can't exceed effective to-hit of 9), and/or a separate chance to miss or go off course.

Ideally I'd want no skill maximum and to give a bonus for aiming, but to have a success mean that the aim is on target, but then the actual rocket path varies randomly by a certain amount. For some weapons, you can even find statistics on the spread during test firing, if you care enough.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acc, high-tech, law