Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #1
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Default XP per Session: Session Length

On page 45 of In the Labyrinth, it suggests awarding 25 to 100 XP per session.

What is the ideal session length for purposes of awarding XP?

Asking because my group is new to The Fantasy Trip. Also, we don't get to play often, but when we do, it might be over a 2, 3, or 4 day weekend.
Hrothgar Rannúlfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: XP per Session: Session Length

It's just a rough guideline about what typical amounts might be. I don't think there is one ideal.

I would tend to give a different amount of XP based on what actually happened and and what PCs did in the game, and what it felt right that would be worth as experience.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Thanks, Skarg. Much appreciated.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
TippetsTX

I believe advancement pacing is a factor as well. This is also extremely variable, though. Players want to see their characters progressing so if my game sessions are infrequent (say monthly) I might be willing to grant a bit more XP than I would if we were playing weekly.

But this really depends on the group. If you're just starting out (and playing infrequent, but unusually long sessions) choose a baseline you are comfortable with and then increase by 10, 20 or 30% for above-and-beyond actions. This could be something like 10 or 20 XP per hour played (plus bonuses, if applicable). This will allow your players to experience several bumps in ability over the course of a long weekend.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
larsdangly

I give 100 XP per hour of active, exciting play and 50 XP per hour of blathering, dithering play. I know this is higher than recommended, but it also keeps my players happy and looking forward to the next developments in their characters, and I think obviates pretty much every criticisms I've heard about experience and advancement in legacy edition. That is a lot of value from one tiny departure from the official recommendations.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:31 PM   #6
Shostak

I typically give out 10-20 XP per hour of play as a base, with bonuses for great role playing, creating spotlight opportunities for other players, critical rolls, etc. If the characters are achieving a big objective, that's usually worth at least 50 points by itself.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Thanks, every one.
This is helping me plan.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:44 PM   #8
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I give 100 XP per hour of active, exciting play and 50 XP per hour of blathering, dithering play. I know this is higher than recommended, but it also keeps my players happy and looking forward to the next developments in their characters, and I think obviates pretty much every criticisms I've heard about experience and advancement in legacy edition. That is a lot of value from one tiny departure from the official recommendations.
Brilliant.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:27 AM   #9
Steve Plambeck

Our typical scenarios (single adventures) lasted 2 to 4 sessions (usually 8 hours each), and we generally dispensed enough XP per scenario for PC's to up one attribute. You might call that stingy as it translates to an average of only 25 to 50 XP for a day's play. But of course in the beginning we stuck with the original Melee/Wizard rules that every 100 XP was worth an attribute increase.

It "felt right" that PCs began and ended one adventure with the same attributes, cashed in their XP between adventures, then started the next scenario with an attribute up a point. Of course the bolder players could do a little better than that, and the conservative players a little worse.

But in a related question, when did folk generally allow the XP to be cashed in? Mid-session? Mid-adventure? Or only after the whole adventure was over? In my group you had to wait until the adventure was over, unless it was an unusually long campaign where the plot covered multiple days or weeks.

At the other extreme might be: Baldur kills a giant in the blue room, now steps into the adjacent violet room with a one-point higher DX because killing the giant put him over the XP threshold for an increase. Too unrealistic for my taste, but did anyone allow that kind of thing?
Old 08-05-2021, 07:47 AM   #10
larsdangly

If you use the Melee rules (100 XP per point, no matter what your stat total is) you will be in a radically different place from anyone playing ITL as written. That's fine, but will naturally lead to much higher stat totals and probably no one will add talents or spells after the start of play, nor will they invest in staff mana - none of those things are worth the investment if you could instead have several stat points.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
experience, session