Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2021, 09:11 PM   #441
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(...) How old do you think these <explicative> bricks are? We'll never move them unless (...)
You are right, but don't you think these boxes are like most of the people in this ship? They are just sitting there, waiting for the moment they are put to good use.

Quote:
(...)You find the hyperspace view, and its as awe inspiring surreal as always(...)
The view is certainly nice! Nejora, what do you think?
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #442
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
OK, I'm pretty sure I'll have no luck with getting anywhere near the armory to get a look at the lock; I'm going to assume that it's either a combination code or a good lock (so my sad piece of metal won't do). Is there anything I can do to get a better tool to pick locks?
what happened to the tool set that Daymar "requisitioned" for you?



Quote:
Maybe find someone with the kind of tool I need and either daze them or turn invisible and grab the tool. Observation to spot someone?
Many people have the tools you need... most of them aren't in your section. Though you have a few engineers who keep the forklifts running, and they should have the right tools. You probably have even met one.



Quote:
Or are there enough keys to the armory that one going missing wouldn't be immediately noticed?
The keys all have owners. Its possible one of the keys won't be used for long enough the user won't notice it. This becomes more likely the higher ranking the individual.


Quote:
How many days would I need to case the armory before getting the schedule down? Would it be a once a shift deal or are there more possibly interruptions than that?
my guess would be two days, though a single day might suffice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day artfully trips near the noncom, taking whatever opportunity he can to make skin contact. At this point he wants mainly to cover his tracks, so he gives the noncom the Delusion that he hasn't observed any suspicious behavior (nor will he, going forward).

Mental Surgery (Delusions (I haven't noticed any suspicious behavior)
Day's antics seem to yield results, with contact made, and no suspicion aroused. You think.



any activities between day 17 and day 21 (the next meeting?)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
You are right, but don't you think these boxes are like most of the people in this ship? They are just sitting there, waiting for the moment they are put to good use.
Naw, the <explicitive> officers move us around for their own <explicitive> amusement. Discipline! Military Readiness! <explicitive>! It will all go <explicitive phrase> once the shooting starts.


Quote:
The view is certainly nice! Nejora, what do you think?
"Its a fancy kind of fire to stare at. whatever."


--------------------------------------------------


On day 20, Pacifica hears a rumor that they think they know what mess the dreadstormer is in... though the rumor doesn't specify which one: "I can't tell you that!"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #443
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
On day 20, Pacifica hears a rumor that they think they know what mess the dreadstormer is in... though the rumor doesn't specify which one: "I can't tell you that!"
Well, good thing it's just the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
what happened to the tool set that Daymar "requisitioned" for you?
Right; I forgot, it's hidden on deck 5.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
my guess would be two days, though a single day might suffice.
I'll try casing the armory during sleep period. 1 stealth roll (don't want to wake anyone on the way out) and 1 photorefraction roll?

Quote:
[299] 21-02-12 19:02:19 CET
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 4 + 4 + 3 = 11 ... success
[300] 21-02-12 19:02:48 CET
Photorefraction
3d6 <= 15 : 1 + 3 + 3 = 7 ... success
Cool; how many decks up is the armory from the bunk room? Would it be practical to ride the elevator while invisible? Maybe a DX roll if I need to slip past someone? Would an elevator arriving empty be terribly suspicious? If it's not too far I could just take a roundabout path.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #444
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Cool; how many decks up is the armory from the bunk room? Would it be practical to ride the elevator while invisible? Maybe a DX roll if I need to slip past someone? Would an elevator arriving empty be terribly suspicious? If it's not too far I could just take a roundabout path.

riding the elevator invisible is fine. It arrives and opens. It just looks like the last occupant pushed a wrong button.



The armory is on floor 13, (section 13C on the map), 11 floors under where you sleep and 10 floors under where you get on the elevator. Its split between two locations with the security quarters between it. Each compartment with weapons lockers also has a restroom that the security section uses. Getting off the obvious elevator in that location requires a pin code* or other security, as does getting into the security quarters from a hatch (vertical or horizontal).



*pacifica, did you ever get an officer's pin code?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #445
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(...) Pacifica, did you ever get an officer's pin code?
Indeed, Pacifica has. And she also told her friends she's been gathering passwords; so Hua could try reaching Pacifica. And I guess she might be happy to raid the store when she should be sleeping.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #446
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Day's antics seem to yield results, with contact made, and no suspicion aroused. You think.
Daymar is going to pay attention to the NCO's behaviour for any clues that the mental surgery didn't take.

[301] 21-02-13 15:15:30 CET

Observation

3d6 <= 13
6 + 3 + 4 = 13 ... success
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:59 PM   #447
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its split between two locations with the security quarters between it. Each compartment with weapons lockers also has a restroom that the security section uses.
I suppose that would make the weapons lockers rather high traffic area.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Getting off the obvious elevator in that location requires a pin code* or other security, as does getting into the security quarters from a hatch (vertical or horizontal).

*pacifica, did you ever get an officer's pin code?
Well, that would be a non-insignificant delay; what could I roll to spy on someone while they're punching in their pin code (I imagine I can get rather close while invisible). Observation? DX to not bump into them while getting close enough to see them when they punch in the code? Maybe fry the code pad so I can see multiple entries?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #448
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar is going to pay attention to the NCO's behaviour for any clues that the mental surgery didn't take.
acknowledged... more on this after the weapons raid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I suppose that would make the weapons lockers rather high traffic area.
Yes, that is correct.


Quote:
Well, that would be a non-insignificant delay; what could I roll to spy on someone while they're punching in their pin code (I imagine I can get rather close while invisible). Observation? DX to not bump into them while getting close enough to see them when they punch in the code? Maybe fry the code pad so I can see multiple entries?
Observation would work for looking at the pin code. DX is complementary.


Frying the code pad... I'm thinking about how I would design it, and ... <secret roll>... Its been designed so that if disabled in can be opened manually but it will require a good deal of strength and sets off some very loud and pressing alarms.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:37 AM   #449
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Observation would work for looking at the pin code. DX is complementary.
Right, rolling:
Quote:
[302] 21-02-15 16:30:22 CET
Complementary DX
3d6 <= 15 : 4 + 3 + 1 = 8 ... success

[303] 21-02-15 16:31:08 CET
Observation +1 Comp
3d6 <= 14 : 5 + 2 + 2 = 9 ... success
I suppose that gets me the code, and I can just slip in. Now an Observation roll to case the locker area:

Quote:
[304] 21-02-15 16:34:16 CET
Observation
3d6 <= 13 : 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 ... success
And now I suppose I should stop to review the information I've gathered.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #450
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Right, rolling:

I suppose that gets me the code, and I can just slip in. Now an Observation roll to case the locker area:

And now I suppose I should stop to review the information I've gathered.

The compartment you are in holds an elevator shaft, a restroom, and three armory closets. You are on the side holding the women's restroom, and someone goes in or out every minute or so on average. Additionally, groups of people occasionally come and go, maybe every five minutes on average, but during the hours around shift changes the area is almost constantly occupied. About thirty minutes after each shift change, the weapons are inventoried by a pair of security personnel.

The weapons lockers are actually made so they can be pried open in an emergency, setting off an alarm. Otherwise, they are guarded by key rather than pin-pad. They are 10 by 10 compartements. Any other questions?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.