Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #371
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Hah...forgot to mention that...

As Hua is led out she glances at the third cell... and finds that four more cells have been locked. When asking about it, the guards mention: "Oh, those are the traitors we caught yesterday. Mostly. We don't think we got them all, but its a good start."

When pressed for details the guard says "That's classified until the officers announce it. I think they will, but who knows. Lets just say the section had a long day yesterday"

Thibi looks kind of awkward about the ailment: "No, her foot got ran over by a forklift. She'll be ok, once she's healed. The prosthetics for accidents in the line of duty are free."

-----------------------

Nejora, suprizingly, is up for joining extra hands. Perhaps she has a spark of ambition in her. perhaps she rolled poorly against will. The first little bit, the work is dull and a little pointless. After the fire, it becomes more meaningful, dealing with a lot of the fire's fallout. It also sees a number of new recruits, giving Nejora and Pacifica a bit of seniority.

On the morning of day 15 (the leading edge of the story, when Hua is released), Pacifica arrives at her duty station to find the entire area buzzing with rumors. Several arrests had been made, a man had been shot fleeing security, and they thought they might have a dreadstormer in custody. Maybe. Rumor had it two different firefights had occured yesterday, and they caught someone trying to start a fire.


--------------------------------------


The rumors in Daymar's mess the next morning are a lot more focused. There are a few rumbles of arrests in the rest of the ship, but everything is focused on them, and people are popping in for breakfast to ask people for first hand accounts...
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #372
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Daymar is convinced that he needs to shoot higher with his conversions - officers and security. He starts trying to come up with scenarios where he might get access to officers in particular. Something to discuss with the others when next they meet.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #373
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Thibi looks kind of awkward about the ailment: "No, her foot got ran over by a forklift. She'll be ok, once she's healed. The prosthetics for accidents in the line of duty are free."
Hua decides to keep her head low for a little while, hoping neither the fake supplements were found nor the cooks decided to make bread (i.e. if there's a flour meal, I'll just eat it; I'm not sure whether I'm entirely above suspicion yet). Strange things to worry about, but such is the life of a Dreadstormer.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:03 AM   #374
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

IC:

(Thinking)

What people have I met while working with the “extra hands”? Any officers here? Who’s the superior? I would like to do 3 things:
  • Fetch the names of both the people that caused trouble in the ship and got “grounded” and the names of the “ambitious” people; they both could make great “converted”.
  • Pick more shibboleths from the crew, stuff to make a foundation for future “interviews” in the ship. I am talking about coherent things (considering my fake Identity, cultural familiarity) to flavor a few stories, such as where I come from, where I’ve been, where I am going, etc.
  • Find patterns among the ship and learn the modus operandi of places I don’t often visit (if I get to new places); for example, the habits of the people I work with, the habits of the security personnel, the shifts of other people.
(When the “fuss” is on, day 15, thinking)

I will work as usual, if people (colleagues) ask me about “the crisis” I will “look concerned” and stick to “The best thing we can do now, is to get the job done. We can chat during lunch or downtime. Don’t worry, they (the people in charge) know their business, otherwise we wouldn’t be running this mission. The Black Kraken has got our back”. At lunch I will ask my “friends” how they feel about it, and if they’ve noticed anything unusual.

OOC:

I would like to know if there are rumors regarding the officers, for example, did they hurt Zibo's reputation?

Here’s an acting roll for that day (chat with the colleagues):

Pacifica's acting:
3d6 <= 15
2 + 1 + 3 = 6 ... success
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #375
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
What people have I met while working with the “extra hands”? Any officers here? Who’s the superior? I would like to do 3 things:
Officers won't be here, except in the occasional leadership role. Extra hands in under the direction of the motive section officer, who also happens to be Daymar's commanding officer (not that Daymar sees him much: Daymar spends all day walking around the ship).


The NCO commanding that shift of extra hands is Chorbo, from the laser maintenance section.



Quote:
Fetch the names of both the people that caused trouble in the ship and got “grounded” and the names of the “ambitious” people; they both could make great “converted”.
Done. If you need one in an area or time, let me know.

Quote:
Pick more shibboleths from the crew, stuff to make a foundation for future “interviews” in the ship. I am talking about coherent things (considering my fake Identity, cultural familiarity) to flavor a few stories, such as where I come from, where I’ve been, where I am going, etc.
Interesting... done. Looking through my notes on places crew are from:
Spoiler:  



Quote:
Find patterns among the ship and learn the modus operandi of places I don’t often visit (if I get to new places); for example, the habits of the people I work with, the habits of the security personnel, the shifts of other people.
Done. The entire ship has three shifts, which all rotate at the same time. Your shift is the "Main" one, or in other words, the one in which the captain and the leading officers are awake and working. The exception here is the morale and security section. It seems that they run their shifts offset three hours from everyone elses, and occasionally they break even that schedule.


(When the “fuss” is on, day 15, thinking)

Quote:
“...otherwise we wouldn’t be running this mission. The Black Kraken has got our back”. At lunch I will ask my “friends” how they feel about it, and if they’ve noticed anything unusual.
Nejora expresses a desire to decapitate the spies they've found in the ship. Jipo agrees that he has high hopes because of the black kraken. The rest of the group says Jipo and Pacifica are being superstitious, and urge her to keep her eyes open: they've haven't caught all of the dreadstormers yet, and even one dreadstormer could kill them all.

Quote:
OOC:I would like to know if there are rumors regarding the officers, for example, did they hurt Zibo's reputation?
The rumors are about the arrests today. Zybo's reputation is very much intact. He does show up in the rumors, but mostly as a cunning or heroic figure. When the dreadstormers from a great power show, up the other great power becomes more desirable and important. Even if it just so happens that his mother was a citizen.



Quote:

Here’s an acting roll for that day (chat with the colleagues):
Pacifica's acting:
3d6 <= 15
2 + 1 + 3 = 6 ... success
You don't need an acting roll for that, and it won't give you any better information.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hua decides to keep her head low for a little while, hoping neither the fake supplements were found nor the cooks decided to make bread (i.e. if there's a flour meal, I'll just eat it; I'm not sure whether I'm entirely above suspicion yet). Strange things to worry about, but such is the life of a Dreadstormer.
You've been moved to a different shift and mess: the fake supplements are in the kitchen across the hall. Though I suppose moving them would be a lot easier than it was to make them in the first place, if you want to do that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar is convinced that he needs to shoot higher with his conversions - officers and security. He starts trying to come up with scenarios where he might get access to officers in particular. Something to discuss with the others when next they meet.

And you'd want skin contact, I believe? hmm. There is always your superior: you could try on him, though that would be on big open engineering floor, which you don't spend a terrible amount of time on.



On the day after the mess, at lunch, Daymar notices that they've replaced his cooks (the ones who don't use the suppressants) with new people.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #376
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You've been moved to a different shift and mess: the fake supplements are in the kitchen across the hall. Though I suppose moving them would be a lot easier than it was to make them in the first place, if you want to do that.
Well, guess I need to case the kitchen staff again:
Quote:
[238] 21-01-06 22:33:49 CET
Observation
3d6 <= 13 : 3 + 4 + 6 = 13 ... success
So can I slip through the hall from one kitchen to another, or do I need to take a roundabout route?

Last edited by TGLS; 01-06-2021 at 03:40 PM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:43 AM   #377
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

OOC: Thanks for all the input Eric! After the lunch Pacifica takes a business as usual approach. During lunch, Pacifica "probes" her colleagues and replies:

IC: And how do we know if there are other dread-stormers onboard?... Jipo? *staring at Jipo in dramatic suspense* I think we are fine! *gesticulates: black kraken*. Seriously, it's hundreds of people here and we got Commander Zybo too, he knows his stuff. You guys almost make me lost the appetite! Which makes me wonder, how would you find these guys? *whispers to Nejora* If we take the enemy down, can you imagine the rep we are going to build?

Pacifica's acting:
(I want Pacifica to learn what others might do if/when they suspect others)
3d6 <= 15
5 + 1 + 2 = 8 ... success
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #378
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
And you'd want skin contact, I believe? hmm. There is always your superior: you could try on him, though that would be on big open engineering floor, which you don't spend a terrible amount of time on.


On the day after the mess, at lunch, Daymar notices that they've replaced his cooks (the ones who don't use the suppressants) with new people.
Daymar's superior would be too obvious, and the open engineering floor is too risky.

So, does this mean he again needs to take steps to avoid the psi-suppressants?
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #379
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar's superior would be too obvious, and the open engineering floor is too risky.

So, does this mean he again needs to take steps to avoid the psi-suppressants?
Yes, he will need to take new steps to avoid the psi-suppressants.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
OOC: Thanks for all the input Eric! After the lunch Pacifica takes a business as usual approach. During lunch, Pacifica "probes" her colleagues and replies:

IC: And how do we know if there are other dread-stormers onboard?... Jipo? *staring at Jipo in dramatic suspense* I think we are fine! *gesticulates: black kraken*. Seriously, it's hundreds of people here and we got Commander Zybo too, he knows his stuff. You guys almost make me lost the appetite! Which makes me wonder, how would you find these guys? *whispers to Nejora* If we take the enemy down, can you imagine the rep we are going to build?
Nejora: "We'll <explicative> <explicative> their <explicitive>"

The others aren't quite so sure.

"Dreadstormers take the ships they're on more often than not, and they work in groups. They say they think they've caught traitors... it could just be a mind controler. Dreadstormers come in a few different types. They can mind control people, sabotage the ship, block bullets, see the future, and defeat dozens of men in hand to hand combat"


"If you find a dreadstormer, don't try and take them on yourself. pass it up the command chain, and they'll send security and arm us with lasers so we can kill them when they're really outnumbered. Or even trap them in a room and flood it with gas"



Quote:

Pacifica's acting:
(I want Pacifica to learn what others might do if/when they suspect others)
3d6 <= 15
5 + 1 + 2 = 8 ... success
That would be a diplomacy, psychology, or fast-talk roll... acting isn't especially relevant.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, guess I need to case the kitchen staff again:

So can I slip through the hall from one kitchen to another, or do I need to take a roundabout route?
looking at the map of the transportation quarters... The two messes are right across the hall from each other. You can move directly from one across 6 feet of hall to the other.



Your observation reveals the right moment... the real question is how closely Thibi will be watching you.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #380
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(...) That would be a diplomacy, psychology, or fast-talk roll... acting isn't especially relevant (...)
Alright; Pacifica's fast-talk:

3d6 <= 13
2 + 4 + 5 = 11 ... success
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.