Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 06-19-2022, 10:01 PM   #1
PBarone714

Default Sidearms Question

Both the driver and the gunner may carry a sidearm. I assume that the driver sits on the left side of the car and that the gunner sits on the right side.

Can the driver shoot his sidearm out both the left hand AND the right hand window and can the gunner shoot his sidearm out both the right hand AND the left hand window?

It seems to me that it would be difficult for a crewmember to shoot out of the window on the opposite side of the car with another crewmember partially blocking the window! If the driver tries to shoot out of the gunner's window, it's quite possible he might shoot the gunner!!!

Last edited by PBarone714; 06-19-2022 at 10:16 PM. Reason: clarification
PBarone714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:11 PM   #2
baakyocalder

Default Re: Sidearms Question

By RAW (page 9(, driver and gunner can both shoot either direction to the side.

While there are definitely logical issues once can pick with Car Wars rules, the point is that combat is a snapshot of actions and the rules are abstracted for ease of play and fun.

If you need an in-game kludge, perhaps the crew member shooting tells the other 'Duck!' and that resolves the problem of hitting their fellow crew member.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:25 PM   #3
HeatDeath

Firing past someone in the front passenger seat just means your gun is right in front of their face. No biggie. I suspect ear protection [or functional deafness] can be taken as a given in this setting.

Alternatively, art to the contrary, the driver and gunner are sitting in different rows. [Remember kids, rules trump art!]
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:55 AM   #4
TRumbach

Saying it would be difficult to shoot out the opposite side, while glossing over the fact the driver has a wheel in his face and still can fire a rifle, is a logical twist a gymnast would be proud of.

Zoom and Boom says I.
TRumbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:15 AM   #5
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBarone714 View Post
I assume that the driver sits on the left side of the car and that the gunner sits on the right side.
As pointed out below, nothing in the rules (only the artwork) supports this assumption (as opposed to previous rules which did.)
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #6
PBarone714

The only benefit I can see out of allowing crewmembers shoot sidearms out the opposite side window is that it might shorten the amount of time that the game will take.

The very idea that a DRIVER can accurately shoot an assault rifle out of ANY window is pure nonsense!

I really think that my house rules will be that a driver can't use an assault rifle and that crewmen can only shoot out of windows on their own side of the car. I think that those house rules are logical, fair, and that they conform to the Reality Check.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:35 PM   #7
PBarone714

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakyocalder View Post
By RAW (page 9(, driver and gunner can both shoot either direction to the side.
The RAW on p. 9 actually says: "Sidearms can be fired from either the left or right sides of the car." The RAW does not specify if crew members can fire a weapon out of the opposite window from where they are seated.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:11 PM   #8
HeatDeath

The sidearms are all pointed based on the assumption that a single sidearm card can make two attacks in a turn, and that both of those attacks can be from the same side arc, or from two different side arcs.

If you want to restrict the side arms, that's fine, it's your game, have fun. But you'll probably find then that sidearms are overcosted, relative to the gear and crew cards, in terms of the damage you're getting out of them, and you might want to consider discounting them somewhat to keep their balance relative to other crew point cards.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 06-20-2022 at 09:05 PM.
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:59 PM   #9
baakyocalder

And each sidearm card just reflects that in order not to have so many cards on the table, it's equipped for the whole crew.

Zoom and Boom is more this version of Car Wars than the old one. And in the old one, well in a matter of seconds you could make a bunch of high degree turns, accurately fire vehicle weapons and be seeing all the traffic about and spotting it so you chose what to target. There's a Murphy's Rules on how silly that was.

However, each table is each table. If something has to be house ruled to make it more fun, then do it.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:46 AM   #10
TRumbach

Dueling cars would or could have gunner and driver sitting front to back. It works for attack helicopters and fighter jets.
TRumbach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carwars