Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #1411
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar, would you roll against Strategy for Sergent Pookivo against his skill of 12?

[986] 22-05-16 23:55:30 CEST

Pookivo Strategy roll

3d6 <= 12
6 + 2 + 4 = 12 ... success
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:22 PM   #1412
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He has a helmet. If you want, can change that to a groin, neck, or arm shot if you want. We can even change it to face.
I'll take neck, let's me preserve staying behind. I'd take neck vascular but that isn't on the list and I'd feel cheap taking a heavier penalty knowing I'd be certain to hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
And the second mate critically failed the battle plan with a 17... are you sure you still want to shoot him?*
Hey, I said I wanted to shoot someone who looked important, not necessarily actually important or competent.

More seriously, I imagine that once the commander goes down, they're halfway to a rout.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #1413
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Pookivo Strategy roll
Pookivo succeeds (barely), and the enemy fails by 4. Shooting the commander is a significant action worth at least +1, so the result of the combat is in the 4-6 range, good for a +2 position bonus, and dealing 20% causulties(~10) in exchange for taking 10% (~4). The next roll is at +4 for the dreadstormers.



How close to the battle front is Daymar?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll take neck, let's me preserve staying behind. I'd take neck vascular but that isn't on the list and I'd feel cheap taking a heavier penalty knowing I'd be certain to hit.

Hey, I said I wanted to shoot someone who looked important, not necessarily actually important or competent.

More seriously, I imagine that once the commander goes down, they're halfway to a rout.
That's a major wound to the neck. the mate rolls another 17 (wow) and falls unconscious.



The men around the captain move into cover behind hydrogen cells as best they can without being certain who shot at them. Most of the force is out deploying, so only four are left in the room.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #1414
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's a major wound to the neck. the mate rolls another 17 (wow) and falls unconscious.
Now that's rotten luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The men around the captain move into cover behind hydrogen cells as best they can without being certain who shot at them. Most of the force is out deploying, so only four are left in the room.
I thought I shot at the second mate.

I don't suppose shooting the cells would accomplish anything, or at least anything productive.

Do they have a line of sight on the second mate? i.e. Could I take his weapon without anyone noticing?

Could I try taking the remaining four guards out the same way I took out the second mate?

Did I overhear the battle plan in enough detail to provide valuable intelligence to our side?

Last edited by TGLS; 05-17-2022 at 05:34 PM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #1415
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pookivo succeeds (barely), and the enemy fails by 4. Shooting the commander is a significant action worth at least +1, so the result of the combat is in the 4-6 range, good for a +2 position bonus, and dealing 20% causulties(~10) in exchange for taking 10% (~4). The next roll is at +4 for the dreadstormers.

How close to the battle front is Daymar?
He is trying to strike a balance between being close enough to provide advice and far enough he's unlikely to catch a stray shot.

OC: I have no familiarity with the mass combat system
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:36 PM   #1416
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Pacifica will have her enemies apprehended, once they are completely subdued, she will kill almost all of them (she keeps Lt. Butieku alive). Pacifica uses her powers to avoid gunshots and more bloodshed.

Next, she will ask the Vinobi to report “things are under control”:
  • He will tell the captain that a small group of people (3 or 4 individuals) attempted to start a revolt at section 9, but failed because they were overwhelmed by the crew. The intercom got damaged by gunfire, after the chief (the man that got shot) wrestled for the gun.
  • Vinobi will bring a subverted to the captain (the one that replied to section 10) and present him as the culprit. Such man will have loose handcuffs, so he is capable of creating a diversion once the 3 units get to section 10. If interrogated, the man will reply that this was just a diversion. Vinobi shall agree, because using such a small number of “regular people” would be futile.
  • Vinobi is going check what’s going on in the other sections from section 10, then he will send one of his loyal men to section 9 and inform Pacifica of the most recent developments. The signal to make sure things are OK will be “Are you OK Lt. Butieku?” or “Are you here Lt. Butieku?” if things require discretion (something similar to what Vinobi just did).
Pacifica will disguise herself as Lt. Butieku, and hold her position.


Disguise (Pacifica)
3d6 <= 15
3 + 2 + 4 = 9 ... success

Vinobi will tell that Lt. Butieku gathered reinforcements (Pacifica’s unit), and that she is:
  • Securing section 9 and trying to restore communications.
  • Looking for the men “that escaped”. In fact, the escapees attempted to ambush Vinobi and Butieku, and shot their way out of the aisles.
  • Taking the wounded men to the infirmary.
Truth is, Pacifica will wait for Day and Hua, she will lock Lt. Butieku with the rest of section 9 and keep an eye on the people to make sure they don’t wake up (as she already planned).
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #1417
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
He is trying to strike a balance between being close enough to provide advice and far enough he's unlikely to catch a stray shot.

OC: I have no familiarity with the mass combat system
You don't need familiarity with mass combat: its a tool to let me run a complex 35 vs 50 combat in a complex environment relatively quickly. your statement above about staying close to the front lines and the center of command but not actually fighting gives me what I need.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Now that's rotten luck.
I thought I shot at the second mate.
You did. I made a mistake. Replace each instance of "Captain" with "second mate" or possibly "Commander of forces".


Quote:
I don't suppose shooting the cells would accomplish anything, or at least anything productive.
Not without a lot of sustained fire.


Quote:
Do they have a line of sight on the second mate? i.e. Could I take his weapon without anyone noticing?
Yes, they have line of sight on him.


Quote:
Could I try taking the remaining four guards out the same way I took out the second mate?
Yeah, that's an option. it'd take a some time to move into position for and line up each shot, but it is doable.


[/quote]Did I overhear the battle plan in enough detail to provide valuable intelligence to our side?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you heard the whole thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Pacifica will have her enemies apprehended, once they are completely subdued, she will kill almost all of them (she keeps Lt. Butieku alive). Pacifica uses her powers to avoid gunshots and more bloodshed.
So you are going through their wounded and helpless and killing them all silently except for the unconscious commander of the group? Got it.


Quote:
Next, she will ask the Vinobi to report “things are under control”:
Quote:
  • He will tell the captain that a small group of people (3 or 4 individuals) attempted to start a revolt at section 9, but failed because they were overwhelmed by the crew. The intercom got damaged by gunfire, after the chief (the man that got shot) wrestled for the gun.
  • Vinobi will bring a subverted to the captain (the one that replied to section 10) and present him as the culprit. Such man will have loose handcuffs, so he is capable of creating a diversion once the 3 units get to section 10. If interrogated, the man will reply that this was just a diversion. Vinobi shall agree, because using such a small number of “regular people” would be futile.
  • Vinobi is going check what’s going on in the other sections from section 10, then he will send one of his loyal men to section 9 and inform Pacifica of the most recent developments. The signal to make sure things are OK will be “Are you OK Lt. Butieku?” or “Are you here Lt. Butieku?” if things require discretion (something similar to what Vinobi just did).

Vinobi will tell that Lt. Butieku gathered reinforcements (Pacifica’s unit), and that she is:
  • Securing section 9 and trying to restore communications.
  • Looking for the men “that escaped”. In fact, the escapees attempted to ambush Vinobi and Butieku, and shot their way out of the aisles.
  • Taking the wounded men to the infirmary.
Vinobi: "Yes Ma'am. How long do we need to stall for? Should I expect an attack on the officer's quarters?"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:27 PM   #1418
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yeah, that's an option. it'd take a some time to move into position for and line up each shot, but it is doable.
Well that's ~8% of the enemy force, so let's take them out. Hopefully this goes quickly enough so I can get the battleplans back early enough to be actionable.

Going with a photorefraction, stealth, and Beam Weapons -1 (Maximum Aiming [6 base +2 for 3 turns, not sure if bracing applies], neck targetting [-5], assuming 10 yard range [-4]) roll for each.

Quote:
[990] 22-05-18 21:56:15 CEST
Photorefraction
3d6 <= 15
1: 2 + 2 + 5 = 9 ... success
2: 4 + 3 + 5 = 12 ... success
3: 2 + 4 + 1 = 7 ... success
4: 3 + 6 + 2 = 11 ... success

[991] 22-05-18 21:59:24 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16
1: 2 + 2 + 6 = 10 ... success
2: 1 + 5 + 1 = 7 ... success
3: 1 + 6 + 5 = 12 ... success
4: 2 + 3 + 4 = 9 ... success

[992] 22-05-18 22:00:53 CEST
Beam Weapons -1
3d6 <= 14
1: 3 + 6 + 6 = 15 ... failure
2: 1 + 2 + 4 = 7 ... success
3: 6 + 3 + 4 = 13 ... success
4: 3 + 5 + 4 = 12 ... success
And that first one hits Torso instead
Quote:
[993] 22-05-18 22:02:36 CEST
Damage rolls
3d6
1: 2 + 1 + 2 = 5
2: 2 + 2 + 2 = 6
3: 2 + 1 + 6 = 9
4: 4 + 3 + 4 = 11
And that first one bounces off while the other three are hit pretty hard.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:37 AM   #1419
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Hua's first shot is deflected by armor, but the people she's shooting at aren't able to effectively respond. They do a much better job of searching before the second shot, but Hua is still two steps ahead of them. She puts a bullet in one of the folk's neck, but the female officer stays up despite the wound.

Hua is working on lining up another shot...

Soldiers are attempting to use the room as a forward command post, but instead find no leadership and an invisible foe somewhere in the room.

*******************************
Daymar, give me another roll for the sergeant. his skill is 12 - 2 (causalities) + 2 (position) = 12

The opposition rolled an 11. The effective skill is 13 (base) -4 (causalities) -2 (leader shot dead) =7, for failure by four.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #1420
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar, give me another roll for the sergeant. his skill is 12 - 2 (causalities) + 2 (position) = 12

The opposition rolled an 11. The effective skill is 13 (base) -4 (causalities) -2 (leader shot dead) =7, for failure by four.
[998] 22-05-19 18:32:13 CEST

Pookivo Strategy roll

3d6 <= 12
3 + 5 + 2 = 10 ... success by 2
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.