Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Rasna

Default [Low-Tech] Combination Gadget and Armour

From Low-Tech, p. 14:

Combination Gadget
Combination devices aren’t new: Australian aborigines made multipurpose woomeras (p. 75) that could function as digging sticks, fire drills, handles for stone chisels, and even percussion instruments! To create such items, follow these guidelines.

Cost and Weight
Starting with the costs and weights of the component gadgets:
• If all of the gadgets can be used at once, weight is that of the heaviest gadget plus 80% of the weight of the others (weight savings being due primarily to shared housing). Cost is that of the costliest gadget plus 80% of the cost of the others.
• If only one gadget works at a time, weight is that of the heaviest gadget plus 50% of the weight of the others (due to shared parts). Cost is that of the costliest gadget plus 50% of the cost of the others.
For weight calculations, use the gadgets’ empty weight, after subtracting any ammunition weight.
Cost calculations always come before cost factor. Combined equipment cost is the new base to which cost factors apply.

Legality Class
A combination gadget’s LC is that of the component with the lowest LC.

According to Pyramid Magazine 3/52 (pp. 12-13) this rule can apply also for the combination of Armour and Clothing: the clothing cover, being lighter than the proper armour, is at 80% of its cost and weight.
The question is: does this rule also apply o armour with layered construction (helmet with integrated liner, khazaghand made of two layers of mail)?
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Combination Gadget and Armour

Not really. The "shared housing" that, say, two layers of mail would have would be in the form of buckles, straps, and perhaps padding (I'm not certain if the weight of padding increases as armor gets heavier/thicker, but I kind of doubt it), and I doubt those amount to anything approaching 20% of the weight of the armor (and certainly aren't 20% of the cost). You might be able to get a little weight saving, but it's probably all beneath the resolution of the system.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
Rasna

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Combination Gadget and Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Not really. The "shared housing" that, say, two layers of mail would have would be in the form of buckles, straps, and perhaps padding (I'm not certain if the weight of padding increases as armor gets heavier/thicker, but I kind of doubt it), and I doubt those amount to anything approaching 20% of the weight of the armor (and certainly aren't 20% of the cost). You might be able to get a little weight saving, but it's probably all beneath the resolution of the system.
Thanks for the answer. What about a helmet liner or an (Ordinary Clothing / Light Leather / Padded Cloth) integrated liner?* In case, the 80% on cost and weight would apply only to the liner and not to the helmet/armour.

* Yes, I know that "very thick padding under armour" wasn't a historical thing, but I consider the "very thick padding" being at least GURPS Light Layered Cloth (DR 2*). I'd consider GURPS Padded Cloth (DR 1*) as helmet padding and, if Expertly Tailored or Masterfully Tailored, as the thickest padding wearable under metallic armour without much discomfort.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, low-tech armor