Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2007, 09:29 AM   #511
YanivLib

Default Re: Supers Character Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
Those changes seem in the spirit of 3e->4e.
I edited my last post. The changes look fine

Quote:
It would allow her to put down a thug a turn easily, perhaps even two per turn. Given her highish point cost and lack of defenses it would compliment her offensive abilities.
Right now, in the second version I posted, she already can take one thug a turn. And has good defenses. Her punch does 1d+2 cut (after Karate bonus), and if she goes for the neck she gets a Wounding Multiplier of x2, giving her average damage of 11, and a(-5) penalty, for a skill of 13. And she can still use her dodge of 11, and karate parry of 13. Not too bad.
With her other abilities, she is more then capable of attacking from ambush, surprising enemies, etc. It is even noted in her description. She can then use AoA for a damage of 13, Double attack and the other nifty options. If you want, she can even try a DWA, at 14 and 10, giving her two attacks to the torso with average damage of 8, total 16, ans still have that dodge 11. not to mention she can easily pull of an Acrobatic Dodge and a Retreat, if she needs it, bringing her to a dodge of 16 or a parry of 18. Though it will only work once per turn.

Quote:
Given what you've spent on Will, Per, and Skills she can have a +1 IQ for free and a +2 or +3 for relatively few points.
It might be cost-effective, but not really appropriate for her, I think.

Quote:
Does 'cats' including lions, tigers, panthers, cougars, and the more mundane types of cats? I was more generous (-80%) based on the presumption that she could only talk the latter.
You are correct. House cats should be worth -80%.
YanivLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #512
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanivLib
Right now, in the second version I posted, she already can take one thug a turn. And has good defenses. Her punch does 1d+2 cut (after Karate bonus), and if she goes for the neck she gets a Wounding Multiplier of x2, giving her average damage of 11, and a(-5) penalty, for a skill of 13. And she can still use her dodge of 11, and karate parry of 13. Not too bad.
That's no too bad, but I hate to rely on attacks to the neck.

Quote:
It might be cost-effective, but not really appropriate for her, I think.
My philosophy has always been to write them up as someone would design a character. You wouldn't buy up secondary attributes and skills when raising your IQ would be cheaper.

If it's out of character to give her a higher IQ, you might consider lowering some of her secondary characteristics or skills. For example, does she need a Will+2? She already has a pretty impressive will (13), and there doesn't seem to a lot to suggest she's abnormally strong willed in her background.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #513
YanivLib

Quote:
My philosophy has always been to write them up as someone would design a character. You wouldn't buy up secondary attributes and skills when raising your IQ would be cheaper.

If it's out of character to give her a higher IQ, you might consider lowering some of her secondary characteristics or skills. For example, does she need a Will+2? She already has a pretty impressive will (13), and there doesn't seem to a lot to suggest she's abnormally strong willed in her background.
I guess that if I wrote her from a player POV, I would have probably raised IQ to 14, Drop the will bonus, and leave her with + 3 to Per. 17 is high enough, even for a Super Cat Woman.
But even more probably, I would just leave her with IQ 13, Will 13 and Per 16 to match her DX. If you lower her Lockpicking or Computer Operation skill by one level you get a round 500 points Super. If it works for you, even better ;)
Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 AM   #514
YanivLib

Linda Ravenhair / Astronaut
693 Points

Attributes
ST 10
DX 12 [40]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 12 [20]

Secondary Attributes
HP 10, Per 13, Will 16 [15], FP 12
Basic Speed: 6
Basic Move: 6
Damage: thrust 1d swing 1d-2

Languages:
English (Native) [0]
Russian (Accented) [4]
Sign Language (Accented) [2]

Advantages and Perks
Absolute Direction [5]
Lightning Calculator [5]
Attractive [4]
Mathematical Ability [10]
Absolute Timing [2]
Patron (Supertemps; 9 or less) [30]
Status 1 [0]
Very Wealthy [30]

All of the following abilities has the same common modifier (Insert Cool Name here, +170%):

(Area effect 2, +100%;
Affects Others, +50%;
Switchable, +10%;
Not usable against people with Psionic powers, -10%;
Selective Area, +20%)
Total = +170%

Doesn't Eat or Drink (ICNh, +170%) [27]
Flight (Space Flight, +50%; ICNh, +170%)[128]
Enhanced Move 3 (Space; ICNh, +170%) [162]
Vacuum Support (ICNh, +170%) [14]
Doesn’t Breathe (ICNh, +170%) [54],
Pressure Support 3 (ICNh, +170%) [41]

Disadvantages and Quirks
Duty (Supertemps; 12 or less) [-10]
Enemy (Unknown; 6 or less) [-15]
Honesty [-10]
Overconfidence [-10]
Pacifism (Cannot harm innocent [-15]
Sense of Duty (Female and Indian Students) [-5]
Vow (Vegetarianism) [-5]

Dislikes Cooking
Feminist
Dosent like riding in vehicles
Collect kachina dolls
Only writes programs with assembly [-5]

Skills
Navigation (Hyperspace)\TL 8 – 15 (IQ+2) [12];
Area Knowledge (Earth Orbit) – 15 (IQ+2) [4];
Computer Operation -15 (IQ+2) [4];
Computer Programming -14 (IQ+1) [8];
Astronomy – 12 (IQ-1) [2];
Engineer (electronics)- 13 [4];
Mathematics (applied) – 13 (IQ+0) [4];
Physics – 13 (IQ-2) [2];

Attributes [135] + Advantages [518] + Disadvantages [-75] + Skills [40] = Total [693]

Notes: This is my conversion of Astronaut from Supertemps.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #515
naloth

Quote:
Linda Ravenhair / Astronaut
Languages:
English (Native) [0]
Russian (Accented) [4]
Sign Language (Accented) [2]
Didn't she have a Native American Indian language? I thought she had Navaho or something similar.

Quote:
(Area effect 2, +100%;
Affects Others, +50%;
Switchable, +10%;
Not usable against people with Psionic powers, -10%;
Selective Area, +20%)
Total = +170%
Didn't Supers (3e) have a duration on Affects Others?

Quote:
Unless they get a lift it will take her a very long time to fly them to orbit at 12yds/sec. Once in orbit she's not terribly fast either.

She's good for space taking others on a short space walk, but she couldn't fly them to the moon or even orbit easily.

EDIT: you get better results with a new thread... Others might be reluctant to hop onto the last page of a 50+ page thread.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #516
vitruvian

Quote:
Quote:

Unless they get a lift it will take her a very long time to fly them to orbit at 12yds/sec. Once in orbit she's not terribly fast either. She's good for space taking others on a short space walk, but she couldn't fly them to the moon or even orbit easily.
Urm - you missed EM 3, didn't you? That's 6x2x2x2x2 = 96 yards per second, or nearly 200 mph. Of course, the greater speed doesn't kick in till out of atmosphere, so it would take a good hour or so to get from ground to orbit; I guess I see your point. At that, it would be over 50 days to the Moon, although I would let her ignore problems with matching orbital velocity, saying that the max speed is strictly with regard to the reference frame in which she finds herself - if she's in a certain orbit, it's relative to the orbital velocity she should have to stay there if she stops flying. But yeah, probably needs a bunch more EM.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #517
YanivLib

You are both right. I was probably wrong with EM 3.
It is mentioned in Astronaut's description in Supertemps that she flew all the way to the Mir station in 12 hours. Mir was about 240 Miles above the surface, take or give a few miles. 240 miles/12 hours = 20 miles/hour. Unless my numbers are wrong, she wont need any level of EM. Her default 12 yds/sec give her what she needs, with room to maneuver.
Please, help me find mistakes if I have any.

And about starting a new thread, it just seems wasteful to open a new thread for a couple of characters, when there is a thread for this exact purpose.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #518
Fnordianslip

Quote:
And about starting a new thread, it just seems wasteful to open a new thread for a couple of characters, when there is a thread for this exact purpose.
Besides, I LOVE having access to all these characters in one thread. Well, two if you count all the supers in the Wild Cards thread, but that's pretty genre specific.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #519
The Benj

Quote:
You are both right. I was probably wrong with EM 3.
It is mentioned in Astronaut's description in Supertemps that she flew all the way to the Mir station in 12 hours. Mir was about 240 Miles above the surface, take or give a few miles. 240 miles/12 hours = 20 miles/hour. Unless my numbers are wrong, she wont need any level of EM. Her default 12 yds/sec give her what she needs, with room to maneuver.
I haven't read the book, but that does seem very low. A great deal of that would be in Air, not Space, plus it may have included some global circumnavigation to get into position, so it may be anywhere upward from this distance. That 20 mph figure is fine, assuming that her Air Move is the same as her Space Move and that she's flying straight up, but I don't think we need to assume either.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:08 AM   #520
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
I haven't read the book, but that does seem very low. A great deal of that would be in Air, not Space, plus it may have included some global circumnavigation to get into position, so it may be anywhere upward from this distance. That 20 mph figure is fine, assuming that her Air Move is the same as her Space Move and that she's flying straight up, but I don't think we need to assume either.
Give her high Enhanced Move (Air) and then high Enhanced Move (Space) as an Alternative Ability. I always do that with any character who has both -- it makes sense and saves points.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, cooperative effort, supers