Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 PM   #31
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Supers Character Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
I don't understand this reasoning. Every time he makes a jump, he's hunted and stigmatized for as long as he stays there -- when the jump ends (he comes back to Earth), it ends. That's the precise definition of Temporary Disadvantage -- while the advantage is in use, you're disadvantaged.
I'd say that the real problem is tying a Social Disad to a power (in the form of a TempDisad). The social problem is not affecting the use of the power at all, but is imposing a reason for the character to avoid using it. Consider a more mundane character with a boat that allows travel to a nearby island, which is inhabited with unfriendly natives (who will not leave their own island, for whatever reason), some of whom actually wish harm upon the character. The ability to travel to the island is not limited at all by the natives there: They are Enemies with a limited reach.
Quote:
That's why, by definition, he only has the Enemies disadvantage when he's in the Otherworld. It would be a crock to do it any other way.
I would say that this is more properly a limitation on the disad, which is better represented by itself than by linking it to the use of Jumper. If the character were to arrive at the world by some other means, wouldn't the Enemies and SocStig still apply?

Why would a use of Jumper be the stay in the destination, while a use of Shapeshifting is considered to be just the act of transforming?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:51 PM   #32
vitruvian

Quote:
No. When you take a Temporary Disadvantage on an expensive advantage you have to reduce their value (as a percentage) so you get 80% of their value, max. (See p. B115 for details.) It would be against the rules for me to let him get the same amount of points as if he just took the disadvantage, and for good reason!
The final cost of the Jumper ability should then be [28], since the -40% for the Temporary Disadvantages should only be able to net him 80% of 40 points, or 32.

With that caveat, the use of TD makes sense to me.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #33
naloth

Dimitri Richie (Da-me-tree Ree-shay)
ST 13 [30] DX 11 [20] IQ 13 [60] HT 12 [20] Spd 6 [5]

Advantages
*Absolute Direction [5]
*Ally Group (Ghostly Pirates up to 50%; Constantly; Crew size 21-50) [80]
*Ambidexterity [5]
*Ghostly Sword 3d cutting (Affects Insubstantial +20%, Cosmic: No DR +300%, Melee C/1 -25%, Variable +5%) [84]
*Ghostly Pistol 4d pi++ (Affects Insubstantial +20%, Cosmic: No DR +300%, 1 shot, then slow reload -35%) [124]
*Medium (Manifestation +100%, Universal +50%, Visual +50%) [30]
*Modular Abilities 3 pts (Social 0%, Languages -50%, Only written languages -20%, Prep - 1 hour of study -50%) [6]
*Obscure 6 (Heavy Fog; Area 10 x1024 +500%, Ext Duration x300 +100%, Persistant +40%) [89]
*Pirate Ship (Walk on Liquid; Area Effect 3 x8 +150%, Affected by Currents -10%, Affected by Winds +30%, Affects Others +50%, Visible -10%) [59]
*Pirate Ship Cannons 40d (Affects Insubstantial +20%, Acc 0 -15%, Max 200yds Range x2 +10%, 5% Min range for blindspots -10%, No 1/2D +15%, Takes Extra Time 4 seconds -20%, Nuisance - Extraordinarily Noisy -10%, Only usable while on ship -30%, Takes 15 seconds reload -20%, Volley RoF 7 +70%) [220]

Disadvantages
Code of Honor (Pirate's) [-5]
Delusion (Reincarnation of Bloody Bill Ironshanks) [-5]
Nightmares (12) [-5]
OPH (Talks like a Pirate) [-5]
Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]
Phantom Voices (Diabolical) [-15]
Split Personality (Pirate Captain and Professor) [-10]

Pirate Captain (1/2 value; net -4)
Greed (12) [-15], One Eye (wears eyepatch) [-15]
Brawling-12 [2], Breath Control-11 [2], Broadsword-12 [4], Carousing-[1], FD (Pistol)-12 [1], FD (Sword)-12 [1], Innate Attack(Projectile)-12 [2], Gambling-12 [1], Leadership-12 [1], Navigation-15 [1], Seamanship-12 [1], Shiphandling-13 [4]

Professor (1/2 value; net -5)
Absent-Minded [-15], Curious (12) [-5], Honesty (12) [-10]
Archaeology-11 [1], Boating-11 [2], Driving-10 [1], Literature-15 [12], Research-13 [2], Politics-12 [1]

Grand Total: 774

Notes
Dimitri just was a mild mannered English Lit professor with a hobby in collecting old things until he ran across the effects of Bloody Bill Ironshanks. After that strange things started happening.

It started with the nightmares, then voices while he was waking, then finally evolved into apparitions. Now Dimitri is constantly surrounded by the vengeful ghostly crew of Bloody Bill, who killed them all to protect his treasure.

The ghostly crew has effectively cracked Dimitri. He now alternates between his old professor persona and his new pirate captain identity. As a Professor believes he's being punished for his ancestor's Bloody Bill's treachery, and will try to do what he can to put Bloody Bill's crew to rest. As Pirate Captain Dimitri, he's a just another one of the boys.

Dimitri *isn't* related to Bloody Bill at all. He's a gifted Medium, that's being used by Bloody Bill's old crew to take their revenge. In game terms, Dimitri is very powerful as a result of their influence; however, he would gladly be rid of his power for peace.

Bloody Bill's crew has two goals. First, they want the treasure that Bloody Bill denied them. Second, they want revenge on Bloody Bill's actual descendents but they have no clue who they are.

Abilities
- Dimitri is a natural medium (ala Sixth Sense). Unconscious use of this ability is partially why he's so successful at translating any written text.
- Dimitri is haunted by the crew of Bloody Bill Ironshanks. They are the source of his powers, delusions, and madness. These pirate ghosts can manifest around Dimitri without effort (spirit template), are unkillable (lvl 3, revert to spirit form and regenerate), have similar ghostly weapons (as Dimitri's sword and pistol), and "crew" his ship. They will protect Dimitri and obey *most* of his commands. They are also possessive and will drive away other ghosts/spirits.
- Dimitri can conjure a thick ghostly fog. It will last almost an hour with a radius of 2,048 yards (almost 2 miles across).
- Dimitri can conjure a ghost ship on any large body of water. It's 16 yards long, and 8 yards across. It behaves like a sailing ship in most respects. It's affect by currents (always) and sails by wind (if the sails are up). Dimitri can get the crew to row (move 6 - his normal), but it's slow even compared to sailing. Anyone can board the ship, but it disappears if Dimitri leaves for any reason.
- Dimitri's ghost ship comes complete with a complement of 7 cannons. These are fairly smallbore (40d) with a range of 200 yds. It takes Dimitri 4 seconds to have the crew man them for the first volley, and another 20 seconds before he can fire another volley. Being shipmounted weapons, they have a number of blindspots. Anyone close to the ship can stand between the firing ports and anyone on the ship cannot be targetted.
- Pirate Dimitri uses a ghostly sword and flintlock at skill 12. He's always at -1 with the sword (one eye) and suffers greater penalties with the flintlock unless he takes a second to aim. Dimitri can use his weapons while in his "right" mind, but he doesn't have any skill in doing so (defaults).
- Dimitri spends his spare time reading ancient texts. He's mastered many and translate/read basically any text with a little research. Professor Dimitri's pretty good in his field and also a decent hobby archeologist.

Edit: To be consistant w/G:Fantasy the Pirate Ship should use six 9 lb cannons per side and be 75' (25 yds). I need to bump Area one more level on the Walk on Liquid to encompass this size.

Here's the revised cannon stats:
6dx3 pi++ (total 18d; Range x10 Max 1000yds +30%, 1/2D Range x2 200yds +5%, RoF 6 +70%, Acc 1 10%, Takes 8 Sec. -30%, Takes 15 sec recharge -20%) [238] Time between shots is supposed to be ~30 seconds, though this is 8 sec prep + 15 recharge for 24 seconds.

Last edited by naloth; 12-29-2005 at 08:00 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #34
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
The final cost of the Jumper ability should then be [28], since the -40% for the Temporary Disadvantages should only be able to net him 80% of 40 points, or 32.

With that caveat, the use of TD makes sense to me.
The disads total -50 points. 80% of -50 is -40, which translates to a -40% limitation on a 100-point advantage.

And Naloth and NAS, I appreciate the various feedback from you guys on this, but I'm happy with it as written. Thanks.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:57 PM   #35
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
And Naloth and NAS, I appreciate the various feedback from you guys on this, but I'm happy with it as written. Thanks.
Well, then... my work is done, for now [ominously]

Always willing to give my opinion, whether it's wanted or not... I'm a philanthropist that way ;)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:01 PM   #36
naloth

Nightflick
[180] ST 12 [20] DX 13 [60] IQ 13 [60] HT 13 [20] Speed 7 [10]
Thr (ST37) 4d Sw (ST37) 6d+2 Claw (ST37) 5d(10) cutting
Dodge 11 (+4 w/+Speed)

[15] Combat Reflexes
[10] High Pain Threshold
[15] Intuition
[0] Reputation (lots of mods)

Vampire Template
[60] Afflication 3 (Escasty +100%, Follow-Up w/Bite 0%)
[-8] Allergy - (wood, paralyzing, only thru heart -80%)
[4] Acute Smell (Blood -60%) +5
[6] Discriminatory Smell (Blood -60%)
[20] Doesn't Breathe
[-10] Draining (Human Blood, Illegal)
[9] Energy Pool 10 (Only refilled via leech -70%)
[30] Healing (Self 0%)
[42] Leech 2 base: 29 (1/1 Healing +25%, Blood Agent -40%, HP or Energy +60%)
[30] Immunity to Metabolic Hazards
[-5] Infectous Bite
[120] IT:DR/10 (Not vs vampiric weaknesses -20%)
[5] Night Vision 5
[-20] Phobia (12, Sunlight -15, Fire -5)
[1] Sharp Teeth (th-1 cutting)
[-11] Supernatural Features (No Body Heat, Pallor, overcome by 1/Energy per min)
[50] Unkillable I (KO at -5xHT)
[15] Unaging
[-15] Uncontrollible Appetite (12)
[-20] Unhealing (HP)
[-84] Weakness - Sunlight (No IT:DR, Reduced Time: 1d/3 sec +80%, Variable -40%)

Vampiric Skills
[40] AP/10 Thrust Dmg (up to 4d thr)
[59.4] Body of Air (Alternate Form: Absorptive Lt Enc +10%, 1 sec +80%, 1 Energy/Min -5%, Magic -10%)
[15] Buy off Uncontrollible Appetite
[4] Claws, Cutting (2 Energy/Min -10%, Magic -10%)
[9] Energy +10 (Same Mods)
[137.5] ST +25 (1 Energy/+5 ST per minute -15%, No HP -20%, Magic -10%)
[40] Permeation-Earth
[60] Speed +4 (1 Energy/+1 Speed per min -10%, Magic -10%)

Disadvantages
[-10] Enemy Necron (100% value, 9-)
[-10] Hard of Hearing
[-10] Pacifism (Innocents)
[-30] Secret - Vampire (Life Threatening)
[-5] Quirks

Skills (60)
AK (Chicago)-15 [4], Brawling-15 [4], Detective!-14 [36]
Disguise (Human)-12 [1], Driving (Car)-12 [1], FD (Pistol)-14 [1], First Aid-13 [1]
Guns (Pistol)-14 [2], Lip Reading-13 [2], Occultism-14 [4]
Stealth-14 [4]

Grand Total 800 (798.9)

Background
See Supers p67

Designer Notes
Yes, I made a lot of changes. I wanted Vampires to be challenge for Supers and I favor the White Wolf type vampires.

Allergy is from http://fantasy.geographic.net/gurps/allergy - it's a good idea and I agree that the system is lacking a way to inflict these conditions.

The typical Body of Air vulnerability should be exchanged for Fire Attacks (No IT:DR). Sunlight damage does not benefit for IT:DR. If they take damage they can stack IT:DR for non-vampiric vulnerabilities.

Infectious Attack will prevent Nightflick from draining more than a point or two of HT from any one victum he doesn't want to kill. I've done this as part of the vampire curse. To be tough, it will cost a fair amount of energy (blood) which isn't easily recovered.

EDIT: I changed things around a bit (+ST, Body of Air, +1 more speed/energy) and added a general comment.

Last edited by naloth; 01-02-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #37
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
"Voltmaster"
Since you’ve slightly modified Voltmaster, I’d suggest: Immunity to disease [10]; He’s been around for about 2000 years, practically all of that time had crappy medical conditions and rampant plagues, spent much of that time travelling (exposing himself to new diseases), even with a HT of 13 those odds start to add up.

3 levels of Hard to Kill [6]; His powers aren’t ranged and he wouldn’t have had Flight when he fought against the Roman legions, for much of his life travelling was very dangerous, and over 2000 years the odds add up. 3 levels of Hard to Kill will decrease the probability of him dying by about one hundredfold (from anything except -5XHP), and massively reduce the likelihood of him dying from Mortal Wounds (Same probabilities as Zatara). Plus it helps prevent the Splat factor.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #38
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
Infectous Bite
Wouldn't that mean that there will be really many vampires around after some time? I mean, he turns all his (killed) victims into vampires that way... The WoD way of vampirization seems to be more of a 0-CP-feature to me.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #39
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
Nightflick
[-84] Weakness - Sunlight (No IT:DR, Reduced Time: 1d/3 sec +80%, Variable -40%)
That seems underpriced, you’re taking 20 dice per minute; compare with (Vulnerability - Sunlight X4 [-80]; Weakness - Sunlight (No IT:DR, Variable -40%) [-12])[-92] for 4 dice per minute.

That said, I do like the idea of giving him Vampire racial Template.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #40
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Wouldn't that mean that there will be really many vampires around after some time? I mean, he turns all his (killed) victims into vampires that way... The WoD way of vampirization seems to be more of a 0-CP-feature to me.
It's flavor and control.

Basically, as long as Nightflick doesn't feed much (0 chance for 1-2 HP drained, 1/216 for 3 HP, 50% chance for 10 HP drained) there's no danger. Now, if he drains a lot then he'll have to either contend with a new vamp or kill the victum. Since his leech is 1 for 1 this is managable as long as he doesn't burn a lot of energy using vamp abilities.

I did this so that Nightflick couldn't burn through his energy (blood) pool every encounter and then refill off the bad guys w/o consequence.

Last edited by naloth; 01-01-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Tags
characters, cooperative effort, supers