Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 04-01-2021, 12:09 AM   #11
76 Biomecha

Default Re: Greetings from China in the 21st century

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I've heard that science fiction has a continued strong following in China, most recently due to Liu Cixin's Three Body Problem 三体 novels.

GURPS has a relatively "hard" sci-fi setting, Transhuman Space, which is set in 2100 and incidentally features China as Earth's most powerful nation.
Three Body Problem really has a great influence, but we also like foreign science fiction, whether it's hard/soft science fiction or space opera. Like Star Wars, Starship Troopers, Blood Music, Warhammer 40K, etc.
Transhuman Space and Reign Of Steel are also well known in our community.
As far as I'm concerned, I really like biotech, such as Alien, Tyranids in Warhammer 40K, and Biomecha in Japanese anime (such as Bio Booster Armor Guyver,Aura Battler Dunbine,EVA,and Tekkaman Blade).
76 Biomecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #12
Shadekeep

Welcome! Regarding science fiction gaming, I'm curious if some of the great Soviet-era science fiction works are in print in China and if they had an influence on the genre there. I'm thinking of authors like Stanislaw Lem and the Strugatsky brothers Arkady & Boris.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #13
MAKIMAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Welcome! Regarding science fiction gaming, I'm curious if some of the great Soviet-era science fiction works are in print in China and if they had an influence on the genre there. I'm thinking of authors like Stanislaw Lem and the Strugatsky brothers Arkady & Boris.
A lot of science fiction in the Soviet Union has a great influence on the older generation of readers in China, while the new generation of young people are keen on Western or Japanese science fiction, but local thinking science fiction is increasingly accumulating fans.

As for whether the Soviet science fiction had an impact on domestic writers, I don't think it had an impact on the Chinese science fiction writers who grew up after the 1970s.

The first golden age of science fiction in China began in the 1980s when the Cultural Revolution ended. These writers were influenced by German, Japanese, British and American writers, but they had a strong brand of the times in narrative. Many stories were born out of small manuscripts during the cultural revolution. After the 1990s, Soviet Science fiction reappeared in the domestic market, but obviously its influence was not as great as that of the same period in Europe and the United States.

Stanislaw LEM's science fiction is not a must read in the mainstream society of China, but his works are more appreciated in the industry than Liu Cixin, the author of trisomy.

Avatar, the film of the strugatsky brothers, was a box office success in China when it was premiered in 2009, and the re released version in 2021 is still a more popular science fiction film in China. However, their literary works are not necessarily read or in mainstream literature.

Last edited by MAKIMAKI; 04-01-2021 at 09:14 AM.
MAKIMAKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #14
Shadekeep

Fascinating information, thank you! I do read quite a bit of Japanese science fiction, but confess to a paucity of Chinese science fiction authors in my collection. Are there any masters of genre available in English that you might recommend?
Old 04-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #15
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyfish King View Post
The genres we play really various. Some love Wuxia, some love space opera, some love super hero, some like maho shojo or that kind of anime things. Recently I had a game mixing action with biotech and psi, in which I play as an esp infiltrator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 Biomecha View Post
I am his GM, and this campaign is called the Rubik's Cube of Life, a TL8 world with TL11^ biotechnology. Use the Action's template for 250 points and an additional 50 free character points. The content of the story is that in 1985, a company called Tree of Life was born, leading to the divergence of human science and technology. In 2053, at the present time of the story, a number of biotechnology companies have pushed human biotechnology to an unprecedented peak, but the tree of life has been standing at the peak. As an agent of another biotech company, Ingram, PC is sent to the Tree of Life's home base, San Francisco, in search of the Tree of Life's ultimate secret, "Rubik's Cube of Life".
Very cool. There's a lot of creativity involved in creating a campaign like that and in playing characters within it. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #16
MAKIMAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Fascinating information, thank you! I do read quite a bit of Japanese science fiction, but confess to a paucity of Chinese science fiction authors in my collection. Are there any masters of genre available in English that you might recommend?
The name of the highest Science Fiction Award in China is Galaxy award, but unfortunately its best novel award is often vacant. The winners in 2018 and 2017 are 江波, who graduated from Tsinghua University majoring in microelectronics. His works have no British culture at present. The name of the work is 机器之门 银河之心III.逐影追光 银河之心II.暗黑深渊 银河之心I.天垂日暮
Old 04-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #17
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKIMAKI View Post
The name of the highest Science Fiction Award in China is Galaxy award, but unfortunately its best novel award is often vacant. The winners in 2018 and 2017 are 江波, who graduated from Tsinghua University majoring in microelectronics. His works have no British culture at present. The name of the work is 机器之门 银河之心III.逐影追光 银河之心II.暗黑深渊 银河之心I.天垂日暮
Thanks again, a search on the Galaxy award turned up a lot of useful material. I also found a pair of anthologies of Chinese science fiction in English - Invisible Planets and Broken Stars - by one of my favorite publishers, Tor Books. They look like good introductions to many authors.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #18
MAKIMAKI

I have a question: how to become the author of GURPS. There are many script writers in China, but few of them have the ability to create rules books. And now we don't have a full-time TRPG publisher or production team.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:56 PM   #19
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKIMAKI View Post
I have a question: how to become the author of GURPS. There are many script writers in China, but few of them have the ability to create rules books. And now we don't have a full-time TRPG publisher or production team.
All covered here.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #20
MAKIMAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
All covered here.
It's great. There are millions of players who are still in college or just entering the society. In the future, there will be more young people who need desktop social.