Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #61
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality

Yet another GURPS product that looks awesome, which I would buy if I had a job and income.

I hope there is enough interest to support more releases of this series, and also Weird Tech for the high tech equivalent, and/or Magitech for combining magic with TLs above 4 (for magical robots, mecha, guns, spaceships, etc.)

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #62
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I suppose one might try to shoehorn magic elixirs into EoR's degrees of refinement, perhaps by working through the material costs, but magical elixir prices are essentially arbitrary anyway, so I see limited utility there.
Yeah, I'm considering it. I'm not sure it's worth the effort though.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #63
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

I seem to have gotten a user title from this thread, which amuses me. But does it mean I'm transparent?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #64
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
But if you write GURPS Bauxite Babes, all bets are off.
And here I thought the naming convention would have made that title GURPS Cabaret Chicks on Ice: Bauxite Babes... Shows what I know.

Quote:
I seem to have gotten a user title from this thread, which amuses me. But does it mean I'm transparent?
Only in far-future settings.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #65
Captain-Captain

Quote:
...not quite. You probably already figured this out, but alchemy in Edge of Reality has essentially no overlaps with alchemy in GURPS Magic save for the name and it produces an entirely different range of products. This is "historical" alchemy which produces low-tech superscience medicine, turns lead to gold, and doesn't do much else. I suppose one might try to shoehorn magic elixirs into EoR's degrees of refinement, perhaps by working through the material costs, but magical elixir prices are essentially arbitrary anyway, so I see limited utility there.
Yeah, I saw the sidebar when getting the papers out of the prnter and into the hole punch.

VERY GOOD and for me conveniently useful as it looks like one of the many 4th edition D&D games I'm playing will become a Savage Worlds Girl Genius* game and I can see many of the items here being useful.

One complaint: Giving Armors DB scores. GURPS 4th made the point that layering to hit penalties onto both armor and shields was a bad thing and that Armor would have DR, Shields DB. My suggestion: Use the mechanic given with studded leather. If leather, which for decorative purposes can be incredibly studded has a similar number of studs for the armor version, the stud stud here, stud stud there, here a stud there a stud everywhere a stud stud aspect of this means the number of studs = LOTS and this yields a 1 in 6 chance of intercepting a blow look a bit low, but let's go with it.

Now the number of sloped armor parts on Gothic Plate Armor would be 'less than LOTS' and the number of horns on a helmet would be TWO. But you can't go lower than 1:6 on one six sided die.

So we give the horned helm a 1 in 6 chance to provide Ablative DR 3 to the head (let's face it: Horns don't take mace whacks all that well) and the same to the plate armor for and additional DR 4.

This Intercept Bonus (IB) can be improved to 2 by quality or magic and further improved to an absolute maximum of 3 by whatever means the GM approves (Generally higher than 80 proof liquour will get the GM to approve.)

*The GM in this game a) doesn't care for GURPS and b) would have been willing to use the G:GG sourcebook IF it'd been out. Instead he came across the SW unofficial site and opted to use existing rules rather than promised ones.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 PM   #66
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Nah, that link to your wife's food blog misdirects the viewers vision.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #67
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Just let me grab my x-ray laser and we can find out!

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #68
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post

And here I thought the naming convention would have made that title GURPS Cabaret Chicks on Ice: Bauxite Babes... Shows what I know.
You know lots . . . you caught the oblique reference. :)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #69
PK

I've decided to exercise my corrupt moderator power to nuke the most recent silly derailment about transparent aluminium. (Just when we thought it had died and we could go back to talking about how cool Matt's book is!) Please go start a new thread in Geek Culture if you simply must debate and gnash your teeth about the naming conventions of fictional materials and the modern creations named after them by geeky scientists.

Matt, your casual reference in Fantasy-Tech 1 has split the boards asunder! Was this just a horrible accident, or your plan from the beginning? I start to suspect a mole... a steam mole...

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #70
Gizensha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I've decided to exercise my corrupt moderator power to nuke the most recent silly derailment about transparent aluminium. (Just when we thought it had died and we could go back to talking about how cool Matt's book is!) Please go start a new thread in Geek Culture if you simply must debate and gnash your teeth about the naming conventions of fictional materials and the modern creations named after them by geeky scientists.

Matt, your casual reference in Fantasy-Tech 1 has split the boards asunder! Was this just a horrible accident, or your plan from the beginning? I start to suspect a mole... a steam mole...
Rather than smelling a steam rat for the steam cat to chase?
Gizensha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech