Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #12
whswhs

Default Re: Alternatives to GURPS? Other tabletop RPGs to try?

I use GURPS more than anything else, but I've used two other generic games more than once. Big Eyes Small Mouth (I prefer the second edition) is good for games where visual impressions and characterization are more important than precise physical measurements (I've used it for campaigns set in Middle-Earth, on Barrayar, and in an anime-influenced fantasy setting); FUDGE (the original version, not FATE, which I don't care for) is good for games where narrative causality is central (I've used it for a campaign set on the Discworld and for one inspired by Planetary and League of Extraordinary Gentlement). I recommend taking a look at both.

There are also more focused games that I've been happy with: Amber Diceless, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Mage: The Ascension (2nd edition, not revised, or the recently released anniversary version), and RuneQuest (2nd edition, which I consider one of the great classic RPGs). They can be applied a bit more broadly than their core settings—I used Amber Diceless for a campaign set in E.R. Eddison's fantasy world Zimiamvia—but you have to make sure the campaign you want to run is one that fits their various emphases.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fate, gurps, rpg, savage worlds, tabletop rpg