Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Witchking

Default Re: Great War Survivor Lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Skills added. PEACH.
For WWI an absolute must would be Throwing (Grenade) as depending on the Army in question they were considered either a close second to the Rifle or more useful than the Rifle.

Grenade Grenade Grenade...also Trench Mortars are nice...

Edit...

Navigation...using a map and compass to find your way across a cratered landscape where anything approaching a landmark short of a 100 meter hill was probably blasted flat 2ish years ago...(an officer skill mostly...and not enough of them had it...but very important all the same...In Band of Brothers (WWII) miniseries Capt Sobel's slide began when on field + map exercises he could not find his a$$ with both hands if you gave him a nine finger head start!!)

Last edited by Witchking; 07-06-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Witchking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Why not Addiction to something worse than tobacoo, such as painkillers or stimulants?
Opium is certainly a known problem for WWI vets and the poplace at large at that time...
Old 07-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

You need to specify typing for that point of Guns, don't you? (Presumably rifle for most people.) Also, Soldier at IQ-1 doesn't cost 2 points...it should be either 1 point, or at IQ. Also-also, the list should surely include the option of picking up more types of Guns. Maybe Throwing for grenades. Perhaps Stealth, for people with experience in the infiltration tactics used later in the war.

I would consider pulling Fast Draw. Even Fast Draw (Ammo) seems of limited use to soldiers.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Very good idea. What stimulants were present? Amphetamine? I'll have to do some Research. Nightmares? D'oh! Yeah, ok, it's just that it began to look like "just pick -30 points of disadvantages from the ones in the Basic Set because practically anything can happen in the Great War... :)
I'd guess amphetamines, yes. If it was invented at that point. If invented, it may even have been legal.

Even if illegal, it was issued to the soldiers of some fighting nations in WWII in massive quantities.

Cocaine certainly existed, but I have no idea how expensive it was. And I kinda doubt it'd be very useful as a military "enhancer", based on my limited knowledge of recreational drugs.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
With -30 points in those disadvantages it's kind of hard to make a character who isn't a basket-case of some sort. You might want to tone that down. Unless that's what you're going for, of course, but speaking as a veteran it's kind of disheartening to see myself thusly characterized. :) (Though granted, I'm not a Great War veteran...)
As I understand it, there are (or were) four kinds of warfare in real life:
Special ops warfare, heroic infantry warfare, nasty PTSD-inducing warfare, and WWI-style trench warfare.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
Sam Cade

Quote:
I'd guess amphetamines, yes. If it was invented at that point. If invented, it may even have been legal.
Synthesized circa 1890 but not used for anything until 1930 or so.

Quote:
Cocaine certainly existed, but I have no idea how expensive it was. And I kinda doubt it'd be very useful as a military "enhancer", based on my limited knowledge of recreational drugs.
Very very cheap other than shipping costs and very useful for keeping folks awake.

Since i'm lazy, from the wiki:
Quote:
The popularization of cocaine use was not confined to African Americans or simple laborers. In Northern cities, cocaine use increased amongst poorer people in fact, cocaine was often cheaper than alcohol.[91] In the Northeast in particular, cocaine became popular amongst workers in factories, textile mills and on rail roads.[93] In some instances, cocaine use supplemented or replaced caffeine as the drug-of-choice to keep workers awake and working overtime.[93]

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
I wouldn't limit to being a military enhancer, given that what-is-now a popular soda brand (you may have heard of them) had cocaine in its' mix until 1903 (to the tune of 9 mg a glass); only going completely cocaine free after 1929. They only changed their formula due to a threatened lawsuit ...
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
This is not finished yet, but I have to go. Any suggestions are welcome. I want to cut down the humongous disadvantage list and give 15 points of advantages and 15 points of skills.
Luck seems obvious. This is a survivor after all. He gets to survive.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
Not another shrubbery

Nothing useful to add to the thread. I just wanted to say that a Pulp Era Chill game sounds pretty cool. Post some more background and game synopses if you can!
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Couple more points --

1.) Some kind of disadvantage that comes from a near complete distrust of authority. These kids came into the service told that this was a necessary war, that the enemies of the Fatherland (or La Belle France or Uncle Sam) were ogres who ate infants, and that their military leaders were wise and competent and wouldn't waste their lives.

When they found out otherwise many had a near total rejection of "civilized" authority, including mores. Not sure how to model this but some form of Odious Personal Habit (going on about how you can't trust the [expletive deleteds] for ANYTHING) might work.

Delusions would be common. Vera Brittain, all through the 1920s, thought she was growing a beard. Read "Testament of Youth" -- it repays the effort, showing a lot about the society and emotional environment of that time. Also -- you could easily justify many forms of "Pacifism" -- lots of guys had that reaction to the trenches.

2.) There could be a disadvantage about damaging exposure to gas -- Less Fit or a low HT. Lots of guys got a small lungful of gas and survived, but had lasting health problems. (Incidentally, someone in my family. He was gassed in 1918 and died as a result -- in 1927. It was a very hard way to go.)

3.) Skills -- Hiking (oh, you got it, sorry), Camouflage (yes, they had that in that conflict), perhaps other languages dependent on where he served -- Arabic, Turkish, Greek, or various Eastern European languages, but usually at pretty low level. Electronics Operation would be pretty scarce -- most radios were at brigade level & above. More likely in naval or air service. Field 'phones were in common use but fixing or emplacing them would be a Signal Corps operation. Lots of guys would have received experience in Carpentry (revetting trenches, reinforcing dugouts -- the Western Front devoured forests of timber) and various skills relating to railroad operation (all nations ran light rail up front, in some cases into the rear trenches, to move supplies & personnel). Should have a chance to beef up various observation skills -- lots of guys had to do artillery spotting, patrolling, or observing from balloons.

Some guys would get automotive mechanics or aircraft engine mechanics. Oh yeah -- teamster! Most field pieces & supply vehicles were horse-powered in that conflict. Some forms of Animal Handling and Veterinary would be quite possible.

Traps perhaps not so likely. Land mines were a WW II standard, and I don't know if most WW I soldiers found a lot of booby traps. The Huns did plant time-delay explosive charges, tho', whenever they retreated . . .

Last edited by fredtheobviouspseudonym; 07-06-2012 at 09:36 PM.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great war, horror, lens