Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #61
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I put off looking at this, but I finally overhauled the template. Super strange that DF Air elementals don't have Body of Air.
Fantasy creature templates for gurps are generally redundant and contradictory.


Quote:
2 yards is the minimum area when you use Area of Effect.
k

Quote:
Buying up 12 points of ST on the form is a tight fit. Would you settle for ST 11?

Remember we're handwaving ST point costs on templates.



The template looks good, I think.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:37 PM   #62
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa

Sorry I took so long to reply to this point...

Quote:
Remember we're handwaving ST point costs on templates.
I don't remember that being mentioned actually. Vassarious' dragon ST is in the template, which is the basis for the template limit for Morph, so that's a pretty big deal.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #63
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Sorry I took so long to reply to this point...

I don't remember that being mentioned actually. Vassarious' dragon ST is in the template, which is the basis for the template limit for Morph, so that's a pretty big deal.
From the second post:
Quote:
Power sets will be around 150 points, though that's a pretty rough estimate, and DR and ST will be extremely heavily discounted, along with firepower

You'll also notice that the cost for the dragon ST is [0]
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 12-01-2021 at 09:41 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:28 PM   #64
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
From the second post:



You'll also notice that the cost for the dragon ST is [0]
You never specified an amount for the discount, so I figured you'd mention it if it became relevant.

The personal ST is properly listed on the character sheet as zero points, as it does not vary from the template. It is listed everywhere I see the template, with the character point cost listed with a discount for no fine manipulators.

Edit: Discounted for Size, not NFM

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 12-04-2021 at 09:05 AM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #65
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
The personal ST is properly listed on the character sheet as zero points, as it does not vary from the template. It is listed everywhere I see the template, with the character point cost listed with a discount for no fine manipulators.
ahh, I see! you are correct.



Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
You never specified an amount for the discount, so I figured you'd mention it if it became relevant.
Its not being counted against the 150 point powerset target, and you shouldn't count it towards the value of templates, but you also shouldn't count the ST of templates against them.



The ST of an assumed template is determined by its size, physical, and metaphysical properties. Usually, we'll find an existing template and base it off that (MH and DF being our most common sources).



You can assume mystical forms up to SM+3 without issue, and we said SM+4 and SM+5 are fine as long as you are copying "boring" forms (which is to say Mammoths, Sea Serpents, and so forth).



Does that help?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #66
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
Vassarious will keep an eye out for someone very nondescript who is leaving the area, then locates a private spot to change and takes on the Genisis from, but makes a few changes, removing appearance [15], wings [30] and enhanced move [20] with Enhanced Dodge [15], Extra Attack [25], DR 5 (Tough Skin) [15] and +5 HP [10], and resembling the nondescript sample person.
Tough Skin and HP are fine as part of a racial template, Enhanced Dodge and Extra Attack are not, at least not while looking like a nondescript human. They'd need morphology changes to explain them, and it would take a very particular alternate form to justify extra attack...
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:25 PM   #67
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Tough Skin and HP are fine as part of a racial template, Enhanced Dodge and Extra Attack are not, at least not while looking like a nondescript human. They'd need morphology changes to explain them, and it would take a very particular alternate form to justify extra attack...
The description for extra attack in the basic set specifies a normal human can take one level simulating great coordination. Enhanced dodge is cinematic, but... What kind of morphology would you say is required for being slightly quicker? Is it different morphology than adding +1 to Basic speed?

Quote:
Its not being counted against the 150 point powerset target, and you shouldn't count it towards the value of templates, but you also shouldn't count the ST of templates against them.



The ST of an assumed template is determined by its size, physical, and metaphysical properties. Usually, we'll find an existing template and base it off that (MH and DF being our most common sources).
Frankly, I find the DF templates terrible. They are tuned to being DF allies and at a cost of being good representations of the concepts IMO.

If the ST is not counted and other attributes can't be modified, I cannot do even a small Air elemental form from DF, which does not have infiltration. Can I go back to a Body of Air model?

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 12-02-2021 at 07:01 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #68
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
The description for extra attack in the basic set specifies a normal human can take one level simulating great coordination. Enhanced dodge is cinematic, but... What kind of morphology would you say is required for being slightly quicker? Is it different morphology than adding +1 to Basic speed?
Its a different morphology than adding +1 to Basic Speed. An extra head and set of arms is the most obvious one I can think of.



for basic speed, looking like a star athlete is probably enough.


Quote:
Frankly, I find the DF templates terrible. They are tuned to being DF allies and at a cost of being good representations of the concepts IMO.

If the ST is not counted and other attributes can't be modified, I cannot do even a small Air elemental form from DF, which does not have infiltration. Can I go back to a Body of Air model?
If you don't count the 100 points gotten back from Body of air, can you afford that?


Well, most official templates have ruthlessly broad capabilities and aren't built anywhere near what an experienced player will build. I do like to use them when shapeshifting because they're easy to verify and look over.



If you want to switch to a body of air model, that should be fine. HP will be linked to Size.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #69
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa

I'm going to respond by PM
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #70
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa

I believe V's current form is :


Genesis form removing appearance [15], wings [30] and enhanced move [20] with Extra Attack [25], DR 5 (Tough Skin) [15] and +5 HP [10], and resembling a silver haired old lady.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.