Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #121
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Possible "pull quotes" for upcoming Superiors books

(Have some more ... from three very different people with the same family name.)

Christopher

“This is what I give. I give an expression of care every day to each child, to help him realize that he is unique. I end each program by saying, 'You've made this day a special day by just your being you. There's no person in the whole world like you. And I like you just the way you are.' And I feel that if we in public television can only make it clear that feelings are mentionable and manageable, we will have done a great service.”
– Fred Rogers, testimony before U.S. Senate committee (1 May 1969)

Janus

“When you get into trouble 5,000 miles from home, you’ve got to have been looking for it.”
– Will Rogers, quoted in Sanity Is Where You Find It : An affectionate history of the United States in the 20's and 30's

Jean

“You know everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.”
– Will Rogers, The New York Times (31 August 1924)

Jordi

“Personally, I have always felt the best doctor in the world is the veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter — he's got to just know.”
– Will Rogers, quoted in Ether and me; or "Just relax."

“A man that don't love a Horse, there is something the matter with him. If he has no sympathy for the man that does love Horses, then there is something worse the matter with him.”
– Will Rogers, The Illiterate Digest

Novalis

“Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal.”
– Fred Rogers, commencement address at Dartmouth College (9 June 2002)

“She was good as she was fair,
None — none on earth above her!
As pure in thought as angels are:
To know her was to love her.”
– Samuel Rogers, Jacqueline

Baal

“Take the diplomacy out of war and the thing would fall flat in a week.”
– Will Rogers, quoted in Wit
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #122
robkelk
Untitled

Novalis (in a Silly campaign)

Thor: “It’s not my fault! She never told me she was a fertility goddess!”
Sif: “She has flowers in her hair and bluebirds singing around her head! Who did you think she was, the bringer of pestilence?”
Order of the Stick #501
Old 10-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #123
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Novalis (in a Silly campaign)

Thor: “It’s not my fault! She never told me she was a fertility goddess!”
Sif: “She has flowers in her hair and bluebirds singing around her head! Who did you think she was, the bringer of pestilence?”
Order of the Stick #501
Well, if we're going that route ...

Baal
Xykon: "Y'know, I've destroyed entire towns, and the most I got from the surviving families were a few snarky comments. You, sir, have a serious problem with overreaction."
-- Order of the Stick #112

Saminga
Belkar: "It's like the old song says. If I can kill it here, I can kill it anywhere."
-- Order of the Stick #206

Belial
Belkar: "When in doubt, set something on fire."
--Order of the Stick #270

Beleth
Haley: "This story is swiftly moving from fantasy to horror - and just my luck, I'm stuck in the role of the bimbo who runs down the alley away from the monsters. I swear, if I randomly fall down and break the heel of my boot, I'm going to find Wes Craven and kick his ass."
-- Order of the Stick #519

Kronos
Cedrik: "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions."
-- Order of the Stick #640

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 10-16-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Missing punctuation
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #124
Rocket Man

Furfur
"Don't take any s**t from anybody!"
--Billy Joel, traditional farewell to concert audiences

Baal
"And the war rages on in a land called somewhere,
And generals order their men to kill,
And to fight for a cause they've long ago forgotten,
While a little cloud weeps on the side of a hill. "
--Paul Simon

Novalis
"I believe that we are here for each other, not against each other."
--John Denver

Old 10-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #125
Rocket Man

Saminga
"All this talk about equality. The only thing people really have in common is that they are all going to die."
--Bob Dylan

Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #126
robkelk
Untitled

Malphas

“I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion.”
– Henry David Thoreau

(And a seasonal image inspired by that quote: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postim..._1_3137301.jpg , sourced from this forum: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewto...137301#3137301 )

Last edited by robkelk; 07-15-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: updated the URLs in the post
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #127
robkelk
Untitled

I've done some WikiQuote diving again...

Christopher

“Children might or might not be a blessing, but to create them and then fail them was surely damnation.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Barrayar

“Our children change us ... whether they live or not.”

“You don't pay back your parents. You can't. The debt you owe them gets collected by your children, who hand it down in turn. It's a sort of entailment. Or if you don't have children of the body, it's left as a debt to your common humanity. Or to your God, if you possess or are possessed by one.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, A Civil Campaign

Janus

“With them the seed of Wisdom did I sow,
And with mine own hand wrought to make it grow;
And this was all the Harvest that I reap'd —
‘I came like Water, and like Wind I go.’”
– Omar Khayyám, The Rubaiyat

“Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise.”
– Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, The Wit and Wisdom of Grace Hopper

“A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things.”
– Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, quoted by Henry S. Tropp
(also good for Oannes)

“One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me.”

“If you want to catch something, running after it isn't always the best way.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, The Mountains of Mourning

“In my experience, milady, we can never get back to exactly where we started, no matter how hard we try.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Cetaganda

“You can't solve problems by running away from them, it was said, and like the good child she had once been, she had believed this. But it wasn't true. Some problems could only be solved by running away from them.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Paladin of Souls

Jean

“A human must turn information into intelligence or knowledge. We've tended to forget that no computer will ever ask a new question.”
– Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, The Wit and Wisdom of Grace Hopper

“It's an ancient and honorable term for the final step in any engineering project. Turn it on, see if it smokes.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Falling Free

“Check your assumptions. In fact, check your assumptions at the door.”

“Men may move mountains, but ideas move men.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Borders of Infinity

“Ignorance is not stupidity, but it might as well be.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, The Curse of Chalion

“Surely only correct understanding could lead to correct action.”

“It is far too late for innocence. My only hope is the much more painful consolation of wisdom. Which can grow out of knowledge alone. Give me my true eyes. I want to see. I have to know.”

“Science, by itself, provides no panacea for individual, social, and economic ills. It can be effective in the national welfare only as a member of a team, whether the conditions be peace or war. But without scientific progress no amount of achievement in other directions can insure our health, prosperity, and security as a nation in the modern world.”
– Vannevar Bush, Science - The Endless Frontier

“Science has a simple faith, which transcends utility. Nearly all men of science, all men of learning for that matter, and men of simple ways too, have it in some form and in some degree. It is the faith that it is the privilege of man to learn to understand, and that this is his mission. If we abandon that mission under stress we shall abandon it forever, for stress will not cease. Knowledge for the sake of understanding, not merely to prevail, that is the essence of our being. None can define its limits, or set its ultimate boundaries.”
– Vannevar Bush, Science is Not Enough

“That the threat is now intense is not a reason to abandon our quest for knowledge. It is a reason to hold it more tightly, in spite of the need for action to preserve our freedom, in spite of the distractions of living in turmoil, that it may not be lost or brushed aside by the demands of the hour. We would not neglect our duty to our country and our fellows to strive mightily to preserve our ways and our lives. There is an added duty, not inconsistent, not less. It is the duty to so live that there may be a reason for living, beyond the mere mechanisms of life. It is the duty to carry on, under stress, the search for understanding.”
– Vannevar Bush, Science is Not Enough

“For generations, scientists and philosophers have tried to explain ordinary reasoning in terms of logical principles—with virtually no success. I suspect this enterprise failed because it was looking in the wrong direction: common sense works so well not because it is an approximation of logic; logic is only a small part of our great accumulation of different, useful ways to chain things together.”
– Marvin Minsky, The Society of Mind

“You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way.”
– Marvin Minsky, quoted by Rebecca Herold in Managing an Information Security and Privacy Awareness and Training Program

“You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it within himself.”
– attributed to Galileo Galilei, quoted by Dale Carnegie in How to Win Friends and Influence People

Jordi

“Hunting hawks do not belong in cages, no matter how much a man covets their grace, no matter how golden the bars. They are far more beautiful soaring free. Heartbreakingly beautiful.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, The Warrior's Apprentice

Marc

“Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

“Never... ever suggest they don't have to pay you. What they pay for, they'll value. What they get for free, they'll take for granted, and then demand as a right. Hold them up for all the market will bear.”

Novalis

“I'm sorry. I can love you. I can grieve for you, or with you. I can share your pain. But I cannot judge you.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Shards of Honor

“My home is not a place, it is people.”

“War is not its own end, except in some catastrophic slide into absolute damnation. It's peace that's wanted. Some better peace than the one you started with.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, The Vor Game

“A hundred objective measurements didn't sum the worth of a garden; only the delight of its users did that. Only the use made it mean something.”

“If you make it plain you like people, it's hard for them to resist liking you back.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Diplomatic Immunity

Baal

“Seems to me the only difference between your friends and your enemies is how long they stand around chatting before they shoot you.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Shards of Honor

“Suicidal glory is the luxury of the irresponsible. We're not giving up. We're waiting for a better opportunity to win.”

“I guess it just doesn't look very heroic to sneak up behind somebody and shoot them in the back. I can't help thinking it would be more efficient, though.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, The Warrior's Apprentice

“The loonies who sought a glorious death in battle found it very early on. This rapidly cleared the chain of command of the accumulated fools. The survivors were those who learned to fight dirty, and live, and fight another day, and win, and win, and win, and for whom nothing, not comfort, or security, not family or friends or their immortal souls, was more important than winning. Dead men are losers by definition. Survival and victory. They weren't supermen, or immune to pain. They sweated in confusion and darkness. And ... they won.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Borders of Infinity

“Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.”

“Right or wrong, what I also saw was that you made an enemy, and left him alive behind you. Great charity. Bad tactics.”

Beleth

“One learns better than to hand one's choices to fear. With age, with every wound and scar, one learns.”

Kronos

“The gods' most savage curses come upon us as answers to our own prayers, you know.”

“The gods give no gifts without hooks embedded.”
(better for Lilith, but she already has a writeup, and it does suit Kronos)

Malphas

“I am who I choose to be. I always have been what I chose ... though not always what I pleased.”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

Saminga

“Oh, threats of Hell and Hopes of Paradise!
One thing at least is certain — This Life flies;
One thing is certain and the rest is Lies;
The Flower that once has blown for ever dies.”
– Omar Khayyám, The Rubaiyat

“And what goes on in the head of a walking dead man? What personal failure could he possibly fear more than death itself?”
– Lois McMaster Bujold, Brothers in Arms

The Archangel of Song

‘Somebody has said, “I care not who makes the laws, if I may write the ballads of a nation.”’
– Isaac Newton Arnold, Sketch of the life of Abraham Lincoln (1869)
Old 11-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #128
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
“Never... ever suggest they don't have to pay you. What they pay for, they'll value. What they get for free, they'll take for granted, and then demand as a right. Hold them up for all the market will bear.”
Didn't that (or the first two lines of it) make it into the Lilith write-up? Somewhere in the Lilim section?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #129
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Didn't that (or the first two lines of it) make it into the Lilith write-up? Somewhere in the Lilim section?
Maybe... (now which NAS do I keep my gaming e-books on, again? oh, yes...) Yes, it did; it's the quote for the section "Living Free," on page 24.

Ah, well...
Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #130
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Which means that it would indeed be amusing in Trade as well, mind you. O;>

Tags
meta, pop culture, quotes