Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
DrewAstolfi67

Default Rules for dune buggy, car, chariot or horse races?

Aloha all,

Hoping for some help from you smart TFT people. I'm creating a scenario with my group that is essentially the Cannonball Run...(or maybe a little Deathrace 2000) for my next session and I'm looking for advice on how to run the race itself. The setup is a dune buggy race across the wasted desert landscape of my sword and planet setting. I've wanted to run this thing for a while and I'm gonna do it in two weeks.

The race is a point-to-point run each day with 2 - 3 routes to each daily destination. (The race is 5 days long) I have some fixed events each day and I am building a random table for the three climate zones the group passes through.

What I need is rules for the race itself...can anyone help me?

and yes...I do know there is this little game called Car Wars! I was looking for something simple. Also I no longer have my (very old Microgame) copy of it!

Last edited by DrewAstolfi67; 06-12-2021 at 11:20 AM.
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Rules for dune buggy, car, chariot or horse races?

I see two aspects:

* Long-distance travel. If these are animal-driven vehicles using the same animals for five days, then there would be an aspect of pacing the animals most efficiently to get the best overall time without crippling or killing the animals. For players who are interested in that, there could be a whole game system about it. A less detailed version would be something that reduces it to simple rolls taking into account the driver characters and the animals one way or another. Even less detailed would be for the GM to just use some version of "GM discretion" to make rulings about how fast each wagon manages in what time, and what the effects of different approaches people might take would be.

* Tactical / action situations. When/if wagons are very close to each other, and they interact with each other, whether with combat or driving maneuvers, you'd need to figure out how to handle that. Again, it could range from making rule systems to the GM ruling what happens as a result of what people are trying to do, interpreting die-rolls using their discretion.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
noirFan

Could this be of any use to you... its a chariot race board game.
https://cheapass.com/free-games/originals/ben-hvrt/

Never played it though.
noirFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
hcobb

I've written up a few rules for vehicular manslaughter in TFT:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/Cart_Wars.html
Old 06-27-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
DrewAstolfi67

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I've written up a few rules for vehicular manslaughter in TFT:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/Cart_Wars.html
This is fantastic, thank you!
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote