Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Simplify Weapons Expertise

Delete Fencer and Weapons Mastery. (Though Weapons Expertise can be chosen so as to apply to all fencing weapons instead of choosing between Sword and Dagger.)

Weapons Expertise gives only the following two bonuses when you have the weapon ready.

If you make your to hit roll by six or more points better than needed you add one die damage. (If this is is double or triple damage result then add it in before doubling or tripling).

And you subtract 2 from the adjDX of all wielded and jabbing attacks against you from your front, from all unarmed attacks and from all weapons up to five times the weight of your own weapon. (Does not stack with Shield Expertise or itself if Two Weapons used.)

So if you parry you impose a 4/(DX-2) roll to hit you.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:36 AM   #2
David Bofinger

Default Re: Simplify Weapons Expertise

What strategic objective are you trying to achieve with these rule changes? How will making this change make the game more fun?
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
hcobb

It switches the maximize DX minus to make auto hits more deadly to maximize DX and keeps daggers from parrying battle axes.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
Shostak

-2DX to attack an Expert armed with their favorite weapon is too much for my tastes. The extra damage on low rolls is a bit like the original Fencing talent.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
TippetsTX

Advanced weapon talents (assuming you want them in your game) should be able to deliver on three core capabilities...
  • Hitting more often (DX bonuses)
  • Hitting harder (damage bonuses)
  • Getting hit less often (defensive bonuses)

I don't think, however, that a single talent needs to provide all three benefits. In fact, given TFT's core design to enforce hard choices and tradeoffs in character abilities, I think it makes alot of sense to split these options up into separate (lower cost) talents.

I would also agree with Henry (and others who have suggested the same) that FENCING really isn't necessary as a stand-alone talent any more. Make characters purchase the TWO WEAPONS talent if they want that ability.

P.S.
One could argue that special weapon-based maneuvers (disarm, for example) are a valid fourth benefit, but for me that falls into the 'nice to have' category.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #6
larsdangly

I think that a well designed talent bonus should not replicate bonuses you would achieve through some other, existing path. For this reason, I don't think weapon expertise/mastery should influence your adj.DX (because you already have a path to do that - raise your DX!). On the other hand, there is no path for improving damage with a given weapon or your defensive ability, so those would be good focal points for talent bonuses.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Shostak

Having a path to increase likelihood of success for a particular talent lets a character focus on that highlight skill rather than raise DX for everything.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Having a path to increase likelihood of success for a particular talent lets a character focus on that highlight skill rather than raise DX for everything.
Indeed, and there are other (houserule) situations where higher weapon-specific adjDX might be desirable. For example, in my game certain weapons have a 'swift strike' trait similar to the extra shot that bows can achieve.