Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #711
Agemegos

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'm really bummed that folks are not more excited about this. To me Rod Reis's artwork *is* the Teen Titans comics, well back when I was collecting.
I was collecting Scientific American. Their illustrators were excellent. Beautiful line drawings of deceptive simplicity that illustrated exactly the experimental set-up or whatever it was that the writer couldn't easily explain in words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Did you see the sample artwork (for MH1) that I posted on my Twitter feed? That feed (link in my sig) is where I tend to drop most casual leaks and hints.

If not, the picture (not the feed!) is here: http://twitpic.com/4bx9ij
Yeah. Sorry. This is no reflection of anything other than a difference in preferences, but that is not to my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think the problem is that those of us that don't care about the chanting don't have an option of a non-chanting restaurant (at least not one that serves anything we like) and that we are aware that hiring chanters adds to the cost of our meals (to really stretch the metaphor).
Yeah. I'm here for the steak. Chanting at dinner I can take or leave, and Gregorian is not even my favourite chanting. But I recognise that no other restaurant is serving steak worthy of the name, and that without the chant fans this one wouldn't be able to keep its doors open. I accept chanting as something that has to be there if I am to get a decent steak Diane. I even accept the fact that part of my bill covers the pay for the monks—if the chant fans weren't covering part of the rent I would be paying even more. I am just slightly bummed that this restaurant doesn't open until 9PM. I want steak now.

Quote:
The most distressing thing is that since the emphasis is on decorative and not illustrative art, games tend to lack useful illustrations altogether.
That is something that strikes me too. Useful and sometimes even essential information is sometimes missing because the artist composes a decoration rather than an illustration.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #712
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Does Gun! include Crossbow? Because if not, I don't see any skill in using one, or the flame throwers, either.
I actually have a separate thread about these hunters/leaks here:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=78133

I answered you over there in more detail, but the short answer is, "Yes it does." I happily expanded the scope of several wildcard skills . . .

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #713
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
I answered you over there in more detail, but the short answer is, "Yes it does." I happily expanded the scope of several wildcard skills . . .
... 'Anything with a trigger' huh? Well, I guess crossbows make at least as much sense as Liquid Projectors.

"It's good to be the king."
heh
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #714
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardinal View Post
Now that GURPS Monster Hunters has been officially announced (DI):

What are your plans? What campaigns would you like to run? Or play in?
What kind of character templates do you expect?
OK so MH1 & MH2 have been released. Anyone started a campaign yet? If so how are things going? What setting are you using?

If set in a city, did you stat the city out using GURPS City Stats? Anyone setting their campaign in Baltimore MD? It's close by to me and I might set my campaign there if I stick with a modern era rather than Cyberpunk based game.

There appears to be a sample Baltimore city setting for the Dresden Files RPG and there's a free sample on the Dresden Files RPG site:

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/Nevermore.pdf

It might give some interesting ideas for that can be adapted for use in running a GURPS MH game set set in Baltimore. Note, I can't say how accurate the depiction of real world Baltimore is since although I live nearby I don't spend much time there.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #715
mlangsdorf

My online group is starting preparation for a Road Trip/Hunters for Hire game. We're still in the early stages:
http://westmarchsaga.wikia.com/wiki/MH/Monster_Hunters

I've got an adventure started, but there's still a lot of details to figure out.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #716
Luke Bunyip

Had a pregame character generation session over weekend. It included some of my regulars, as well as some newbies ( one ex DnDer, an amateur actor, and a foreign geek looking for entertainment). Still waiting to see what all the player characters are going to be. So far got a gambler / werewolf* and a witch (hurray).

Will be a 'one-off', set in present day inner city Melbourne, Australia. Going for a double-crossing client scenario. The PCs have to get a shipment of Bricks of Maru-Du out of the hold of a ship moored on the Yarra River. The clients a coven that is tasked with protecting the public that attends a nearby football stadium actually want the bricks to perform a summoning ritual for something Man Was Not Supposed to Know. The coven plans on killing the PCs once they recover the bricks. The players win if they escape with their lives and the knowledge that the coven are now Black Hats.

*Might just modify the traits and skills to suit.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:03 AM   #717
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Had a pregame character generation session over weekend. It included some of my regulars, as well as some newbies ( one ex DnDer, an amateur actor, and a foreign geek looking for entertainment). Still waiting to see what all the player characters are going to be. So far got a gambler / werewolf* and a witch (hurray).

Will be a 'one-off', set in present day inner city Melbourne, Australia.
You had apregame character generation session for a one-off? I've never managed that for even a campaign. Most gamers I know want to get into the game ASAP. There willing to generate characters pre-game via email, but once they get to the game table they want to play. I've been able to do character gen in the first session with a short game following.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #718
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
You had apregame character generation session for a one-off? I've never managed that for even a campaign. Most gamers I know want to get into the game ASAP. There willing to generate characters pre-game via email, but once they get to the game table they want to play. I've been able to do character gen in the first session with a short game following.
It wasn't even that. It was more of 'This is what role playing is about', a discussion of genre and setting, and then having a look at the character sheets for the example PCs that PK generated. The Quirks really helped them understand that it was about both character defining, as well as having useful skills at high levels. Everyone is getting a copy of the template that they chose, and they will generate it from there.

The veterans already sort of know what they want. They just want to fit in with the choices of the newbies. They were giggling about what the game would be like if I ended up having to GM five sages. I laughed until I stopped.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #719
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
It wasn't even that. It was more of 'This is what role playing is about', a discussion of genre and setting, and then having a look at the character sheets for the example PCs that PK generated. The Quirks really helped them understand that it was about both character defining, as well as having useful skills at high levels. Everyone is getting a copy of the template that they chose, and they will generate it from there.

The veterans already sort of know what they want. They just want to fit in with the choices of the newbies. They were giggling about what the game would be like if I ended up having to GM five sages. I laughed until I stopped.
But is this really for a single gaming session, or will there be an ongoing campaign? A pre-game character gen session for running a one-shot game is pretty incredible. Unless it was done at a convention or store as a demo and the actual game followed in the next game slot or a bit later in the same day.

I'd think as GM, you'd reject five sages. I can't see five players wanting to play the sage anyway. Too many other interesting MH templates to select from.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #720
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
But is this really for a single gaming session, or will there be an ongoing campaign? A pre-game character gen session for running a one-shot game is pretty incredible. Unless it was done at a convention or store as a demo and the actual game followed in the next game slot or a bit later in the same day.
I'm hoping to recruit one or more of them to join a campaign. In the context of that, the time investment was worth it. Hopefully it will enable me to talk them out of any 'odd' characters.

Quote:
I'd think as GM, you'd reject five sages. I can't see five players wanting to play the sage anyway. Too many other interesting MH templates to select from.
I think we are going to get a mix. Am hoping one of them chooses Crusader or Warrior. Will give them hints that those templates could be useful.

Tags
monster hunters