Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Zed

Default Re: GURPS Mass Combat updated! Possible POD edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
You could, of course, simply not print the cover if it looks like it'll eat up too much ink. I doubt there's errata on it which alter the rules.
But I like having covers... and for errata, that would probably be the plan (or just do it at work). Actually I am not personally effected by the ink issue.

The reason for the post is that over all, seems like the pdf market is 3rd tier as far as media optimizing priority yet seems to be either climbing or already is the the #1 GURPS sales vehicle. Maybe my perception is incorrect about that though.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Tyneras

I have determined that they have added the key word "full" in several places, implying you add part of the TS of support elements when not calculating special class superiority. Now, lets see if I can find the rules for how much that part is, before I go crazy and eat my coffee mug.

Edit: AHA! 10% (except C3I, which has to go sit in a corner). Page 31, Relative Troop Strength.

Last edited by Tyneras; 08-20-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Revelation!
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Steven Marsh

To clear up one misconception about the cover...

The old-style cover is still a part of the document, only now it's what folks would call the "title page." Compare p. 3 of the revised PDF with p. 1 of the original version -- they're near identical!

(This is a slightly more elaborate version of what someone said previously: Simply don't print the first two pages. Don't worry; you'll still have the same cover you had before!)

So, to me, "all the pages that were part of the original PDF-only release, plus the cover that was originally only part of the POD/print release" shows that we're not treating PDF-purchasers as second-class citizens, but rather giving them a level of flexibility their print-buying brothers and sisters don't enjoy.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
Zed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
To clear up one misconception about the cover...

The old-style cover is still a part of the document, only now it's what folks would call the "title page." Compare p. 3 of the revised PDF with p. 1 of the original version -- they're near identical!

(This is a slightly more elaborate version of what someone said previously: Simply don't print the first two pages. Don't worry; you'll still have the same cover you had before!)

So, to me, "all the pages that were part of the original PDF-only release, plus the cover that was originally only part of the POD/print release" shows that we're not treating PDF-purchasers as second-class citizens, but rather giving them a level of flexibility their print-buying brothers and sisters don't enjoy.

Awesome. That's perfect. (sorry, at work and not able to download to see for myself before posting)
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
Daeglan

Quote:
You could, of course, simply not print the cover if it looks like it'll eat up too much ink. I doubt there's errata on it which alter the rules.
Or choose to print it out in cover in black and white... color printers can do that you know... course I went the smarter route and got a color laser so I don't have to buy ink every hundred pages.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeglan View Post
Or choose to print it out in cover in black and white... color printers can do that you know... course I went the smarter route and got a color laser so I don't have to buy ink every hundred pages.
Well, in fairness, the solid-black covers of a typical GURPS cover is going to be troublesome in color or black and white. :-)

(And, yes, I'll put another vote in for laser printers, color or otherwise. I bought my first B&W laser printer almost a decade ago, and I've never looked back. I'm on my second color laser now.)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
And, yes, I'll put another vote in for laser printers, color or otherwise.
This. Initial investment is a bit higher, but long term costs are lower, print quality is better, and I haven't had the paper feed problems which have plagued my top-feed inkjets.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #18
Daeglan

Quote:
This. Initial investment is a bit higher, but long term costs are lower, print quality is better, and I haven't had the paper feed problems which have plagued my top-feed inkjets.
And they are faster. Yeah it was a little more expensive up front but yeah when a toner cartridge lasts 5000 pages how can you go wrong.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #19
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Note that while the stats changes matter, the world-shaking change is to the actual rules text regarding support TS (that is, TS in parentheses). It significantly impacts the role of these element types.
Ah. That is a big change - page 26 under Preperations is the relevant change, right? Makes it so support TS supplies 10% of its TS for regular combat (or 0 if it's purely a C3I element). Do you know of any other changes? I'm trying to find them, but Acrobat's 'compare PDFs' function is really quite bad - it seems to think almost the entire document is changed, primarily through thinking spaces aren't there when they are.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #20
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Ah. That is a big change - page 26 under Preperations is the relevant change, right? Makes it so support TS supplies 10% of its TS for regular combat (or 0 if it's purely a C3I element). Do you know of any other changes? I'm trying to find them, but Acrobat's 'compare PDFs' function is really quite bad - it seems to think almost the entire document is changed, primarily through thinking spaces aren't there when they are.
Most of the changes are to stats, the TS support rules, and the many examples that relate to them. As mentioned, the big change is the TS support rule, intended to avoid the "cavemen overrun heavy machine guns" and "Air strike cannot affect tank column" issues.

There should also be a subtle change in Neutralize (Class) (p. 10, I think) adding a caveat on how it should be used, mainly to avoid some play balance issues.

Stats changes were to Draft Team (both tables), Heavy Artillery (both tables), Flying Leviathan, Titan, SP Mortar, heavy AAA, heavy truck, airship, scout aircraft.

Tags
mass combat, printing