Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Default I just finished to re-read "The Book of Five Rings"...

... and found out that every technique and move described by Musashi can be reproduced in GURPS with the assistance of Martial Arts.
Go SJG, go!
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
zorg
Experimental Subject

Default Re: I just finished to re-read "The Book of Five Rings"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
... and found out that every technique and move described by Musashi can be reproduced in GURPS with the assistance of Martial Arts.
Go SJG, go!
Now you need to dig out The Art of War, and write up all the little hints as Techniques for Tactics and Strategy.

When you have done that, proceed to the Hagakure, and do the same with Savoir Faire.

I'll buy the e-book. :)
Old 09-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Lonewulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Now you need to dig out The Art of War, and write up all the little hints as Techniques for Tactics and Strategy.
Honestly... I don't get how you can really do that.

I've read some of The Art of War, and it was just a bit too... general. There was nothing really specific about it. *Shrugs*

To be able to make decent techniques, you'd have to be able to get specific. And most of the examples I can think of off the top of my head would probably involve optional specializations.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
Go SJG, go!
Cool. Thanks for sharing the enthusiasm!

-

About Sun Tzu's The Art of War, I think the text provides one with ideas for better chosing actions, both in real life as while role playing a character if you want and if war or analogous situation arise. But I don't imagine how to make "rules" about that.
However is interesting to "implement" some real life sources for better gaming and a discussion about that can be interesting.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 09-25-2007 at 06:54 AM.
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
Lonewulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane
Cool. Thanks for sharing the enthusiasm!

-

About Sun Tzu's The Art of War, I think the text provides one with ideas for better chosing actions, both in real life as while role playing a character if you want and if war or analogous situation arise. But I don't imagine how to make "rules" about that.
However is interesting to "implement" some real life sources for better gaming and a discussion about that can be interesting.
Well, when I think of "techniques" for strategy and tactics, I think more like, "Shield Wall Tactics/Strategy", "Cavalry Tactics/Strategy", stuff like that. But then again, that could easily be Strategy with an optional specialization with a certain type of unit. Essentially, how to move that unit, use that unit, and what that unit is usually good against when it comes to other units. I imagine that many officers have a specialization with the unit they lead, but if they eventually "buy it off" by changing it from optional specialization (IQ/A) to generic skill (IQ/H) as they advance through command structure.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
demonsbane

Your view is good for me, but I'm not able to expand further.

However I don't remember The Art of War being specific in that sense, but maybe I need a reread of it. Perhaps Sun Tzu's Taoism applied to warfare is better applied in a Mass Combat context?

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
zorg
Experimental Subject

I wasn't entirely serious in my first post (to no ones surprise, I guess).

Thinking about it, I guess it could be possible, frex, to allow techniques or optional specializations for some of the classifications and categories Sun Tzu is fond of.
For instance, one could consider allowing an optional specialization of Strategy on one of the five factors described at the start of the first chaper (sky, earth, the leader, etc. - re-translated from my German copy), or allow specialties for the "Nine Situations" (Chapter XI).

Whether such specializations would actually be useful, or be possible from a common sense pov, is another matter. Probably this would just be a fancy name for stuff like "Desert Warfare."
Old 09-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Whether such specializations would actually be useful, or be possible from a common sense pov, is another matter. Probably this would just be a fancy name for stuff like "Desert Warfare."
I think there could be some real use for it. But in my opinion this would ask for rules for combat with larger units (more than the adventurer group but less than a whole army).
LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Well, after some time we now have GURPS Fourth Edition Mass Combat ;-)

Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Tags
martial arts, mass combat