Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2022, 02:27 AM   #31
Prime Evil

Default Re: Warren "Mook" Wilson in the hospital

Very sad news. I'm on the other side of the world, but my thoughts and condolences are with his family. His work has touched gamers around the planet.
Prime Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:24 AM   #32
Almenac

This is terrible news, my condolences. Mook's site, videos and community presence have been really important for my when I've tried to get into GURPS.
Almenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:47 AM   #33
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

As we knew each other mainly through GURPS: Mook and I were collaborators on several projects, and he wrote a supplement that inspired me to write a couple of others. That makes him a close colleague in every way that matters. Also, we were in touch more casually on Discord, where we had a tradition of silly jokes (mercifully kept in private channels), so I got to know him as a person, not just as a writer.

So . . .

He will be missed. I miss him. In fact, I was working on something GMing-related before I got the bad news this week, and was thinking of him in that context . . . Knowing that no, we'll never discuss that, drives the point home.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:09 AM   #34
finn

"How to be a GURPS GM" is my favorite GURPS supplement. Made my donation.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:09 AM   #35
Nose66

Default My 'Mook' story...

My "Mook" story begins 3+ years ago, when I saw the post on his blog about possible GURPS support on Fantasy Grounds. I was really excited by this, and jumped in "whole hog". I even developed some code for FG (including the precursor to our current "On-the-Fly" system). But alas, FG just didn't work for our group.

Fast forward 2 years, and I see a demo for Foundry and get very excited. I investigate and see that GURPS support is just beginning, and Mook is there, providing encouragement. As a software developer, I thought that I finally had the chance to "make Mook proud", so I started the "GURPS Game Aid" for Foundry. After a few weeks, I thought I had enough of the code working to show him, but, fan-boy that I am... I was nervous to reach out to someone so famous.

But I did... and he responded with such warmth and encouragement. He was very excited by our progress, and we started talking. I kept asking him what he would like in an online GURPS system, and we (Nick Coffin and myself) would code it for him. We invited him into our dev Discord, as the official "muse" to our project (our /mook generator was named after and specifically designed for him).

Mook was constantly telling us how the software exceeded his wildest dreams... he complained once that he didn't have enough synonyms for "awesome", and finally had to resort to his commonly used "horns" emoji... to let us know that we "rocked".

Over time, I got to know him more as more and a person, and we became friends. The past few months had been hard on him, as his health deteriorated, and he was having a hard time finding the passion to create. I was having fun making Youtube videos and writing code, and one day asked him if he would be interested in recording a video podcast. Just me and him talking about GURPS. He really liked that idea (he had already helped me with ideas for my videos), so he started brainstorming names for the podcast. This is what he sent me:
Quote:
GURPS Coast to Coast
GURPS Talk
Everything GURPS
GURPS, Past, Present & Future
Gurps Galore
All Gurps, All The Time
Gurps Gab
The Gurps Gasbags
Gurps Chat
Gabba Gabba Gurps! lol
Gregarious Gurps
Gurps Gleanings
Go Go Gadget Gurps
Gurps Glee
Gurps Generically
Gurps-a-Go-Go
Genial Gurps
Gurps Guides
Gurps-apalooza
Gurps and Games
Gurps Griddle
Gurps Goulash
Gurps Grabbag
Gurps Gateway
Gurps Garage

From Chris/Nose
Developer of the amazing GURPS Game Aid for Foundry Vtt!

Mook
Author of the beloved 'How to Be a GURPS GM!'
When I found out he was in the hospital (again), I called or texted him every day, to see how he was doing, and talk shop. He had tons of ideas of what we could talk about, and kept smiling through our conversations, as we would go off on some weird GURPS tangent, or relate some funny story. Unfortunately, he was also very tired... and was having trouble breathing... so our phone calls occurred less and less, and so we just texted. And then he didn't. It took me a week to find contact information for his sister-in-law, and you know the rest of the story.

My eyes are tearing up now, as I relate this story... but I also remember the joy in his face as we told old GURPS stories, and that shall be the face I remember.

Last edited by Nose66; 01-27-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:44 AM   #36
Armin
GCA Prime

Mook had an apparently boundless enthusiasm for GURPS and the community. I'm not a good enough writer to put into words how significant his impact on me and my little GURPS project was.

I will miss him.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:08 PM   #37
Willy

Bad news! My condolences to his family and friends.
Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:00 PM   #38
wildrolplayer
Banned

My condolences to to his friends and family.
I only started with gurps a few months ago so I didn't know him but the how to be a GM book was the 4th gurps book I bought and has been a great help.
wildrolplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:24 AM   #39
arcanus

This is truly very sad, gone long before time.

Safe journey Mr Wilson
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:21 PM   #40
Gaunilo

Default Re: My 'Mook' story...

I am sad to read this news. I'm new to the game and its community, but I am enjoying his work very much, and from the few video appearances I have seen now, he seemed like a gentleman.

I want to thank you for making an effort to stay in contact with him during his hospitalization and to take the time to talk with his family after he passed away. I admire you for that. Any hospitalization is extremely nerve-wracking and unsettling even in the briefest and best of circumstances, and I know from experience how comforting it is to have some contact with somone on the outside while one is in hospital and also just to know someone kind is out there beyond the wall thinking about you. I am sure you made his last days more calm and peaceful. And you know, for what it's worth, as I was just reading, if Buddhism is to be believed, keeping as calm and serene a mind as possible at the end of one's life is extremely important. So who knows, you may even have done him a greater service than one might think. In any case, good karma for both you, I am sure.

I know we play and talk about games here, and I like nothing better, but man, this life and death business we're all involved in "live," breath after breath, day after day, is no joke. What's the right response? I guess we just keep going, but one thing that seems clear to me as I age is the vital importance of working to be generous and to be kind. That's what Mook appears to have been, and that's what your Mook story shows you to be, too, so a very fitting tribute and a good reminder for me to try to be better, so thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose66 View Post
My "Mook" story begins 3+ years ago, when I saw the post on his blog about possible GURPS support on Fantasy Grounds. I was really excited by this, and jumped in "whole hog". I even developed some code for FG (including the precursor to our current "On-the-Fly" system). But alas, FG just didn't work for our group.

Fast forward 2 years, and I see a demo for Foundry and get very excited. I investigate and see that GURPS support is just beginning, and Mook is there, providing encouragement. As a software developer, I thought that I finally had the chance to "make Mook proud", so I started the "GURPS Game Aid" for Foundry. After a few weeks, I thought I had enough of the code working to show him, but, fan-boy that I am... I was nervous to reach out to someone so famous.

But I did... and he responded with such warmth and encouragement. He was very excited by our progress, and we started talking. I kept asking him what he would like in an online GURPS system, and we (Nick Coffin and myself) would code it for him. We invited him into our dev Discord, as the official "muse" to our project (our /mook generator was named after and specifically designed for him).

Mook was constantly telling us how the software exceeded his wildest dreams... he complained once that he didn't have enough synonyms for "awesome", and finally had to resort to his commonly used "horns" emoji... to let us know that we "rocked".

Over time, I got to know him more as more and a person, and we became friends. The past few months had been hard on him, as his health deteriorated, and he was having a hard time finding the passion to create. I was having fun making Youtube videos and writing code, and one day asked him if he would be interested in recording a video podcast. Just me and him talking about GURPS. He really liked that idea (he had already helped me with ideas for my videos), so he started brainstorming names for the podcast. This is what he sent me:

When I found out he was in the hospital (again), I called or texted him every day, to see how he was doing, and talk shop. He had tons of ideas of what we could talk about, and kept smiling through our conversations, as we would go off on some weird GURPS tangent, or relate some funny story. Unfortunately, he was also very tired... and was having trouble breathing... so our phone calls occurred less and less, and so we just texted. And then he didn't. It took me a week to find contact information for his sister-in-law, and you know the rest of the story.

My eyes are tearing up now, as I relate this story... but I also remember the joy in his face as we told old GURPS stories, and that shall be the face I remember.
Gaunilo is offline   Reply With Quote