Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2022, 03:46 PM   #21
kate_unknown

Default Re: GURPS Book List

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I don't think so. It is not listed on SJ Games' "Everything We've Ever Released" page, which is normally accurate.
That is an awesome list and very handy but one thing it does not include are any books that were included inside sets. For example it lists the Dungeon Fantasy GM Screen, but doesn't directly mention the two books that came with the GM Screen "Character Creation Cheat Sheet" and "Delvers to Go!" Other than that a great list, I tried searching for some of the stuff I thought it might not have and they were all there.

Dark Places was a part of the Summer of Horror done in the early 2000s so it is possible it was bundled? Probably not though, more likely not released.
kate_unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:08 PM   #22
kate_unknown

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted this to be its own post.

I was interested in this quote on page 3 of Man to Man
Quote:
Man to Man is the combat system for GURPS — the Generic Universal
RolePlaying System. We've decided to release Man to Man separately, in
advance of the full system, for three reasons:
(1) Our fans have been waiting years for GURPS. It seemed like time to
give them something.
And it makes me wonder what was released about GURPS as teasers before 1985. The first issue of the Roleplayer magazine released just have Man to Man, so sadly Man to Man is the first documented reference of GURPS I have.

I have a few ideas of ways they might have mentioned GURPS in the early 80s:
- Inserts into board games
- Other magazines/newsletters released by SJG
- Advertisements in other magazines or products, maybe not even SJG
- Online Bulletin boards

I'd love to see the first mention of GURPS or any mention from before 1985, but I haven't had an luck looking so far.

SJG had 4 zines published before-hand: Autoduel Quarterly, Space Gamer, Fantasy Gamer, and Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society. I don't currently checking the covers none of them list GURPS as a highlight article.Though issue 4 of Fantasy Gamer does list "The Solimar Quest: Generic Fantasy Adventure"... probably unrelated, but I may have to get the PDF just to be sure.

One funny thing to note, #28 of Space Gamer's cover was reused for GURPS Fantasy's first edition.

Last edited by kate_unknown; 01-29-2022 at 04:14 PM. Reason: added part about Space Gamer #28
Old 01-29-2022, 04:26 PM   #23
johndallman
Night Watchman

GURPS is mentioned in Fantasy Gamer #4, (Feb/Mar 1984), and also in #5. It is also mentioned in Space Gamer #70 (July/August 1984), and all the subsequent issues to the end of the run at #76.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #24
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_unknown View Post

Dark Places was a part of the Summer of Horror done in the early 2000s so it is possible it was bundled? Probably not though, more likely not released.
The Dark Places manuscript imploded just after the start of the playtest was announced. I think that PTB decided that work could not be finished on it on any practical schedule. Definitely never published.

Are there any other phantasmal books on the list like Gurps India or Black Magic? Sorry i haven't checked but this was gaming day and I'm running behind.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:01 AM   #25
kate_unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
GURPS is mentioned in Fantasy Gamer #4, (Feb/Mar 1984), and also in #5. It is also mentioned in Space Gamer #70 (July/August 1984), and all the subsequent issues to the end of the run at #76.
I looked at Space Gamer #70 and did find mention of GURPS! Interestingly the section is titled "GURPS again" so there must be an earlier mention, I will have to comb through and see what I can find.

Just remembered that before they released GURPS they thought that would be a working title and that it would be called something else later, so it possible some references may not specifically say GURPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The Dark Places manuscript imploded just after the start of the playtest was announced. I think that PTB decided that work could not be finished on it on any practical schedule. Definitely never published.

Are there any other phantasmal books on the list like Gurps India or Black Magic? Sorry i haven't checked but this was gaming day and I'm running behind.
No, I didn't put any books on the list unless I could at least find a cover. If a book mentioned on a random 3rd party website just lead to a dead end I didn't add it (Many turned out to be homebrews or other things of that nature which are also not on the list).

The only other book I can think of right now that is listed but might not exist is "GURPS Prime Directive books for 3e?" I listed this because both SJG and other sources claimed that 3rd edition books exists for GURPS Prime Directive, but I couldn't actually find any sold proof. The 4e books were released so close to 2004 that it could also be a GURPS Dragons situation where the books are considered both 3e and 4e at the same time.

I should also mention that this list doesn't cover any releases in other languages. According to Wikipedia there are some interesting Japanese exclusive GURPS books, but since I can't read Japanese trying to sort through information on them would be a nightmare.

Last edited by kate_unknown; 01-30-2022 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Added the parts about other language
Old 01-30-2022, 10:17 AM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:
The only other book I can think of right now that is listed but might not exist is "GURPS Prime Directive books for 3e?

I should also mention that this list doesn't cover any releases in other languages. According to Wikipedia there are some interesting Japanese exclusive GURPS books, but since I can't read Japanese trying to sort through information on them would be a nightmare.
I believe I have a Prime Directive book for 3e and that the 4e versions are minor updates.

I have talked online with other people who said that they had read the Japanese books (in Japanese of course) but I've never heard of any translations. Among other problems with researching these would be that they are quite old now.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:39 PM   #27
lugaid

Quote:
I looked at Space Gamer #70 and did find mention of GURPS! Interestingly the section is titled "GURPS again" so there must be an earlier mention, I will have to comb through and see what I can find.

Just remembered that before they released GURPS they thought that would be a working title and that it would be called something else later, so it possible some references may not specifically say GURPS.
Yeah, very early on it was the "Great Unnamed Role Playing System", and when they decided to keep "GURPS" as the name because people had gotten used to talking about it by that title, they made the new interpretation as a backronym from that. Or so it was presented at the time.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:58 PM   #28
kate_unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I believe I have a Prime Directive book for 3e and that the 4e versions are minor updates.

I have talked online with other people who said that they had read the Japanese books (in Japanese of course) but I've never heard of any translations. Among other problems with researching these would be that they are quite old now.
If you do have it can you let me know the copyright date. and is it just the Prime Directive book or are any of the supplementary books also 3e? (romulans, federation, klingons).

Yeah it would be cool to read the Japanese books but too much of an investment, Japanese is hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
Yeah, very early on it was the "Great Unnamed Role Playing System", and when they decided to keep "GURPS" as the name because people had gotten used to talking about it by that title, they made the new interpretation as a backronym from that. Or so it was presented at the time.
Interesting I will have to add it to search terms for checking the magazines. Thanks!

Last edited by kate_unknown; 02-06-2022 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added second quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #29
Fred Brackin

Quote:
If you do have it can you let me know the copyright date. and is it just the Prime Directive book or are any of the supplementary books also 3e? (romulans, federation, klingons).
I know I still have it (and one supplement) but I found it disappointing which means it's not in the "active" section and I've lost track of where it is.

Tags
gurps, supplements