Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
vitruvian

Default Re: Weird War II - Avalon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
If one brings in Merlin, I'd recommend sticking to Ritual Magic, making his powers more subtle then flashy. ...And as a counterpoint, perhaps the Nazi Thule society's own love of ritualism isn't just a PR stunt, meaning that Merlin will be too busy countering Thule Sorcery to do much more then hand out the occasional bit of help to the PCs.

Speaking of the PCs, avoid bringing in the whole Round Table back with Arthur. The PCs are the new Knights of the Round Table, handpicked from the best of the best in the Royal Armed Forces, to form an elite fighting force capable of dealing with whatever the Axis Forces can dish out. Sort of a WW2 British GIJoe...
Well, it's true that canonically with Malory, it was Arthur alone who was taken by boat to Avalon by the ladies that included Morgana, and most stories that bring back the other knights tend to do so through reincarnation. Of course, the PCs could all find that they acquire the Reawakened and similar advantages in the course of the campaign... but apart from that possibility, the main candidates for survival are Arthur himself, Morgana, and Merlin, trapped in the tree bole or whatever by Nimue or Vivayne.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #12
Purezebo

Fantastic ideas all around! You got my mind-working now!
(And I've actually wanted to read Camelot 3000, never got the chance though)

I do like the idea of the PCs training to replace the old knights, that would be a real twist. I think that would entail sending them on very classically styled 'quests.' Which could be very interesting and entertaining, more-so as they've got to save ammo, and other limited resources, or learn to use mounts and lances, etc. Hmmm, got me thinking alot now.
Purezebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #13
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purezebo View Post
Arthur I plan to be a significant in the war, but he's not gonna win it. While our heroes are bringing back Arthur, the Germans are up to their own odd plots.
Pendragon vs. Barbarossa cage match, anyone?
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
. . . No plausible Arthur would have spoken anything comprehensible to modern English speakers, and culture has changed as much as language. . .
Recall that at least certain members of Arthur's court would know Latin. Given the nature of the English public school education (and certain upper-class American schools) someone should know that "dead" language.

Also, if I recall Malory, Arthur was a bit more tolerant of difference than most Middle Age rulers. One of his knights was Sir Palomides, a "Saracen" and "paynim." So he might be willing to tolerate odd folks. (Perhaps not Americans . . . )
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
Purezebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Pendragon vs. Barbarossa cage match, anyone?
I was actually thinking Charlemagne, haha. Either could work of course...
Purezebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
sgtcallistan

A suggestion: Alan Garner's books 'Elidor' (1960's schoolkids do the Mabinogion) and especially 'The Wierdstone of Brisingamen' reference British legends in a (then) modern way.

The legend of Alderley Edge is included, where Arthur and his knights sleep until needed, while an agent (possibly Merlin) finds white horses for them, and possibly recruits more worthy knights to sleep 'under the hill' until needed: recalled from memory, 'when England's mothers weep, they shall ride forth, and in a battle thrice won, thrice lost, upon the plain, sweep the enemy into the sea'.

By the entry of the USA into WWII, we could say that most of the knights have already fallen in the fighting, such as the Battles of France and Britain.

Recruits are needed...
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weird war ii, wwii