Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #901
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

HELLFIRE CLUB MANSION

Located near Central Park in New York City, the mansion used as the headquarters of the infamous Hellfire Club was built during the early 17th Century by English noblemen fleeing the English Civil War as a location for the American Colonial elite to mingle in a manner the English nobles were used to but were unlikely to see in England with Cromwell's Puritans in charge (see Hellfire Club). Over the centuries, the mansion was renovated and expanded several times.

The mansion is four stories tall with a cupola on the roof. The Club employs a butler, several maids, a handful of groundskeepers, and other maintenance techs to keep the mansion running, and has chefs and wait staff on retainer for their parties. Security is provided by mercenaries contracted through Donald Pierce's private military companies (see White Bishop).

Ground Floor
This floor is the most public floor of the entire building. The whole center area has been converted to a gathering hall where the parties are held; the mansion's original two-floor library still exists on the north side, and is reserved for the Inner Circle's private meetings. The mansion's kitchen area is on the south side.

Second Floor
This floor is primarily a balcony overlooking the main gathering hall. The second floor of the library is accessible from this floor as well. Above the kitchen sits an office reserved for the reigning King of the Club, currently used by Sebastian Shaw (see Black King).

Third and Four Floors
These floors are bedroom suites primarily used by guests for "private encounters" by Club members during the parties.

Basement
As might be expected, the mansion's basement contains the typical features one would expect to find for such an establishment: hot water heaters, pantry space for canned goods, and the wine cellar. The south side of the basement area has been adapted to a parking garage and loading dock for the kitchen and mansion's staff. The north side houses a mainframe for the Inner Circle and networked to computers in the library above it; this mainframe has many of the Club's secrets stored on it, but is a closed system not accessible from outside the mansion.

Not sure how else to describe this place; there's really nothing special in the mansion itself. If I had any artistic talent or a floorplan program, I'd probably be adding a floorplan, like those of the Avengers Mansion, Avengers Compound, and X-Men Mansion in the old OHOTMUDEs.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #902
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
ENCHANTRESS

Identity: Publicly known, although Amora is generally not believed by the people of Earth to be an actual Asgardian deity. Her mortal guise as Jane Foster is secret to all but a few select individuals.

Attributes:[/B] ST 30/159 [0*]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 14 [40].

Wealth (Filthy Rich) [50].
Nice. The Jane Foster identity is a cool idea. Is the ST right? Base 19 before the template enhancements seems kinda high. What's the source of her wealth? Gifts from her admirers?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #903
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Nice. The Jane Foster identity is a cool idea. Is the ST right? Base 19 before the template enhancements seems kinda high. What's the source of her wealth? Gifts from her admirers?
The current Asgardian God template is as follows (a quick search of the thread tells me I never posted the entry for Asgardians... oops):

Asgardian God
This template is suitable for the average member of the Aesir or Vanir, and "god-sized" Giants such as Loki and Skurge. Many notable, primarily the ruling elite, have increased Injury Tolerance and replace the Extended Lifespan with Unaging (Temporary Disadvantage: Maintenance, 1 Person, Monthly, -2%) [15].
575 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST +9 [90].
Languages: Old Norse (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Extended Lifespan 5 (×32) [10]; Immunity to Disease [10]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction, /3 (Limited: Crushing Attacks, -40%)) [45]; Super ST +11/+150 [440].
Perks: Alcohol Tolerance [1].
Disadvantages: Low TL -5 [-25].

So yeah, the ST is right, as far as the template goes. Admittedly, I could have trimmed Amora back a few points in ST, due to an implied laziness when it comes to physical activity, but I didn't think the difference was notable.

As for the wealth, yeah, gifts from admirers, possibly a bit of inheritance, and let's not forget conjured gold (Asgardian economy seems like one of those things no one ever really talks about).

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #904
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Is the ST right? Base 19 before the template enhancements seems kinda high.
Amora from the comic books can lift as much or more than Spider-Man (10-20 tons). All Asgardians are super-strong, and Thor is strong among Asgardians.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #905
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Amora from the comic books can lift as much or more than Spider-Man (10-20 tons). All Asgardians are super-strong, and Thor is strong among Asgardians.
From the Marvel Guide, female Asgardians average a 25 ton lift (max?) and males around 30 tons. Spidey is 10 tons.

Given that Thor easily exceeds 100 tons, I'd put the racial averages closer to 40-50 tons if I were doing the reboot (and points were not an issue).
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #906
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
From the Marvel Guide, female Asgardians average a 25 ton lift (max?) and males around 30 tons. Spidey is 10 tons.

Given that Thor easily exceeds 100 tons, I'd put the racial averages closer to 40-50 tons if I were doing the reboot (and points were not an issue).
Thor and Skurge kinda skew the bell curve, to be honest.

Instead of doing one template for the males and another for the females, with the only difference being their levels of Super ST, I went with the simpler method of one template for the Asgardians as a whole. That doesn't mean that the average Asgardian warrior has a mere 20 ton bench-press capacity, though; TL3 warriors are, on the whole, stronger than the racial average.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #907
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post

If the racial average is 30 tons, 120 tons would be four times as much, the same as the human range going from ST 10 to ST 20, 20 is high, but not inhuman.

Is Thor supposed to be really strong for an Asgardian?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #908
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
If the racial average is 30 tons, 120 tons would be four times as much, the same as the human range going from ST 10 to ST 20, 20 is high, but not inhuman.

Is Thor supposed to be really strong for an Asgardian?
Not all species have an exactly 4 times normal strength limit.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #909
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Not all species have an exactly 4 times normal strength limit.
Okay, what's the strength limit for Asgardians? 1.5? 2? 3? 5? 7? 10? 15?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #910
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Okay, what's the strength limit for Asgardians? 1.5? 2? 3? 5? 7? 10? 15?
In the comics Thor's ST varies on who he's facing and what he needs to do. He's held up a skyscraper when necessary after all (ultrapower at work). He's absurdly strong even among Asgardians.

As for how strong the Enchantress is. I'd easily double what you had since she's mixed it up with the She-Hulk. Not as strong but strong enough to consider a physical confrontation (ok, perhaps ego at work). The Enchantress certainly didn't get abused like when Loki confronted the Hulk in Avengers.

If you assume there's a whole race of normal Asgardians where Thor and most of the other "named" Asgardians are Supers (rather than just exceptional) that are also Asgardian, the background makes more sense.

So for the reboot the question is how you want to benchmark the race for characters based off of it.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men