Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2021, 01:18 AM   #21
Anders

Default Re: [Martial Arts/Thaumatology] Magical Styles for Martial Arts styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
These are quite interesting, and I'm glad to see more interest in the thread.

Any further details on the Red Wizards, specifically? The name has me thinking of the ones from D&D, but I've been mistaken about things like that on occasion.
Both of those are from Forgotten Realms.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:47 AM   #22
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Any further details on the Red Wizards, specifically? The name has me thinking of the ones from D&D, but I've been mistaken about things like that on occasion.
Yeah, I've played a campaign set in the Forgotten Realms using GURPS 4e since the Basic Set came out in 2004.

I haven't actually written out the style of the Qarradu sarrupim azamrutu (Warriors of the Argent Lance) or their Astabarri ('Lance-bearers'), but they are the martial arm of the Northern Wizards in Unther and specialize in force magic (pure magical force, telekinesis, force fields, etc.).

They fight with staves, but learn a spell to create a field of pure magical force at the end of their staff, creating a Force Lance or glaive that for the more powerful among them can slice through any substance as if it were not there.

And, yes, they can fight very much like Jedi Knights.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #23
Prince Charon

Some comments in two jet-related threads lead to this idea (the name if the style is a working title, I'm open to changing it); in particular, the fact that Kromm says that all melee attack options work for Flame Jet, as it is a non-parrying melee weapon:

<Flame Jet Fighting?>
4 or 5 points

'Flame Jet Arnulf,' one of the two founders of this style, was no great mage, and he knew it. He was very agile, though, and had a surprising natural talent for the Flame Jet spell, which peaked the interest of the Grand Master of the Fire Mage Guild in the capital. The Grand Master worked with Arnulf to create this style, and together they taught it to a number of fire mages who were likewise agile, and/or were unlikely to advance far in the less physical Guild style. Stylists normally learn Flame Jet to at least 15 before being acknowledged as a journeyman of the style, as this reduces the casting cost of a short, 1d damage jet to 0.<more description>

Spells: Flame Jet.
Skills: Judo <replace with Wrestling?>, Innate Attack (Jet), <more?>
Techniques: Breakfall, Disarming (Judo), Feint (Innate Attack)
Cinematic Skills:
Cinematic Techniques:
Perks: Shortcut to Power (Flame Jet) <more?>

Optional Traits
Advantages: Magery <more?>
Disadvantages: Overconfidence, Pyromania, <more?>
Spells: Other Fire spells.
Skills: <First Aid (burns), maybe?>
Techniques:

Is the Disarming technique plausible with Innate Attack (Jet)? I mean, attacking the hand is clearly plausible, but that's a Targeted Attack, not the Disarming technique, which seems more like a variant on Parry, which Flame Jet doesn't do.

As you can see, what I have is very much a work in progress, and I would like some suggestions, please.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 12-16-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #24
Prince Charon

Thinking more about Flame Jet Fighting (still wondering if there's a better name, but it does fit, and GURPS Martial Arts has one just called 'Dagger Fighting' on p155). Made a small edit to the style above, changing the cost to '4 or 5 points' - if you already know Flame Jet when you start learning the style (or you already have Charm (Flame Jet), or have all the prerequisites for Flame Jet), then you don't need to take Shortcut to Power (Flame Jet) as part of your initial training, and thus the cost of the style is one less than it would be if you're starting from scratch.

Thinking more about magical perks, and have a few that I think should fit: Melee Spell Mastery (Flame Jet), Mighty Spell (Flame Jet), No Gestures (Flame Jet), No Incantations (Flame Jet), and Spell Hardiness (Flame Jet). Do these all work? Are there others that I'm forgetting?

Continuing with perks, what Martial Arts perks should work with this style? Currently thinking that 'Teamwork' could be interesting.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical styles, martial arts, martial arts styles, worldbuilding