Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Alien matter in DF

Does anyone use alien matter in your DF campaign? What I mean by this is having the bodies of Elder Things composed of something else besides normal matter. It would seem that if some being from another reality came into ours, it would likely be composed of material far different from ours. Mayne the way it interacts with our reality could be different? Another example might be spirit matter that does not interact with normal matter unless it is provided with some sort of magical or spiritual power. Just curious if anyone has any interesting ideas about this.

I know adamantine and meteoric might also be considered alien matter but I am interested in newer stuff especially Elder Things and spirits. Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Alien matter in DF

Ectoplasm is used as the basis for the Pneumaphagoi supplement for D20 I bought from E23.
Spirits leave behind an essence that can be used/eaten for various purposes depending on Feats chosen. Temporary skill bonuses, special abilities, life force boosts aka HP, life extension, etc.
Screw ghost busting for honor. You want to eat that tortured soul. :)

One can only imagine the trouble such an individual could get into by eating an Elder Thing remnant.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Screw ghost busting for honor. You want to eat that tortured soul. :)
Don't forget to bring a tinning kit.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You want to eat that tortured soul. :)
Eat 99 criminal souls, then eat one witch soul. This unlocks awesome power. Be careful because if the witch's soul isn't exactly the hundredth you have to start all over.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Eat 99 criminal souls, then eat one witch soul. This unlocks awesome power. Be careful because if the witch's soul isn't exactly the hundredth you have to start all over.
If I eat more than 99 criminal souls, can I still eat a witch's soul, since I did eat 99 criminal souls (which happened to be preceded by other souls)? If not, is there a way to reset or lower my counter? Would eating an innocent soul, or perhaps a criminal prosecutor, count as -1 criminal?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Tyneras

I have a category I call "Unreal Matter" that I use for various Elder Things and other impossible creatures. It's more of a meta-game category, since the characters will have their own name for it or a sage will come up with something suitably poetic and/or ominous.

General characteristics are that it requires specific circumstances to survive, like being in the Dreamlands or a constant feed of psychic energy. Without those circumstances it quickly fades away, either being destroyed outright or getting sent back to the realms it came from.

I use it anytime I need stuff with strange properties and needs unusual methods of destruction. Can't have the heroes short-circuit an adventure by setting the meat-moss corrupted forest on fire or flooding it with lava, after all.

It's also great when I need Lovecraftian not-magic magic. Things that dodge and reach through walls by rotating through higher spatial dimensions, change properties at will (liquid-gel-solid), have different appearance (thus SM, DR, etc.) depending on the angle you look at, and general weirdness.

This is not always to the player's disadvantage, a good IQ or Hidden Lore roll can (temporarily) neutralize the thing's defenses. A running theme in LC's work was that horrible things often found our world as strange and difficult as we found them.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #7
Refplace

My Outsiders are made of chaos and treated as radioactive.
Kinda scary for those who fight them a lot.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
My Outsiders are made of chaos and treated as radioactive.
Kinda scary for those who fight them a lot.
Oz particles work like that but with "damage" causing strange negative effects rather than classic radiation injury, cancer, and/or death.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If I eat more than 99 criminal souls, can I still eat a witch's soul, since I did eat 99 criminal souls (which happened to be preceded by other souls)? If not, is there a way to reset or lower my counter? Would eating an innocent soul, or perhaps a criminal prosecutor, count as -1 criminal?
The 100th soul always resets the counter. Doing something that would anger the good-aligned Angel of Death (such as eating an innocent soul) would also reset the counter and might get a supernatural hit squad sent after you.

You need to get the counter to 99 from horrendously wicked criminals (Al Capone and his gang, for instance) and then the 100th has to be a witch (and things that look or act a lot like witches, such as magical Halloween cats or trollwives don't count).
Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
The 100th soul always resets the counter. Doing something that would anger the good-aligned Angel of Death (such as eating an innocent soul) would also reset the counter and might get a supernatural hit squad sent after you.

You need to get the counter to 99 from horrendously wicked criminals (Al Capone and his gang, for instance) and then the 100th has to be a witch (and things that look or act a lot like witches, such as magical Halloween cats or trollwives don't count).
I thnk, just to game the system, Id gather the souls some where in a sty or a penn if you will so that I could keep them under surveilance and make sure that they were both suitably evil, and not witches (so as not to reset the counter too early by consumption of the witch, then consume them all in one sitting.

That way I could know definitively that I had 99 soul penns.
And a witch aint one.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote